Favourite chick-lit author?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

My fav is def Sophie Kinsella (out of all the Chick Lit I have read so far)

Cecelia Ahern is also another author I have enjoyed but I have to admit I prefered her first two novels, although the fantasy elements in the others I also liked. I'm now working my way through my first full Marian Keyes novel. I went for Rachels Holiday as this is the novel I had heard the best reviews for, and also I wanted to see how it could cover such subjects as drug addiction within the Chick Lit style of writing with all that wit and humour. The thing with these novels is that they are a lot thicker than say Kinsellas, and I end up reading for too many hours into the night!

• 2 weeks later...

I do not understand what a 'chicklit' author means. Only from point of view of woman, that seems a narrow world,non?

But although I have not enjoyed anything very modern , why , I am not sure, too , well too something.

But for me Daphne du Maurier I guess conveys much the meaning and feelings of the woman. I like her dramatic style, her excellent ability to get inside the psyche of a person, both woman and man, and build a story that is compelling.

My favourite chick-lit authors are:

Cecelia Ahern

Sophie Kinsella

I will read anything by both of them, even if it's not particularly that good I'm determined to finish it eventually. I've only read one book by Marian Keyes, Anybody Out There, which I enjoyed so I bought 3 more of her books which are waiting to be read.

Also Debbie Macomber, I'm sure she can be classed as chick-lit right?

They are definitely male confessionals; it says so on the back of several of them.

Aren't Mike Gayle's books classed as Man-Lit?

Also Debbie Macomber, I'm sure she can be classed as chick-lit right?

I've only read the first three books in the Blossom Street series so these are the only ones I can comment on, but I wouldn't class them as chick lit, more just general woman's fiction.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone here read I DON'T KNOW HOW SHE DOES IT by Alison Pearson? Of the chic-lit books I've read, that one is still my favourite by a long shot. I'm just sorry she hasn't written any others.

I'm new here (just joined today) and fumbling my way around, asking questions and hopefully not tripping over my feet.

Do you consider novels by Joanna Trollope and Elizabeth Buchan to be chick-lit/women's fiction, or would you categorise them as plain old fiction? I ask because I see Jodi Picoult's novels discussed under 'fiction'; also one of Nora Roberts's books, and I think of her as definitely women's fiction, moreso than Jodi Picoult,

I suppose it all comes down to who's actually reading the books. If men read them, are they automatically reclassified as 'fiction' rather than 'women's fiction,' and who on earth is keeping count?

That said, my introduction to both Elizabeth Berg and Joanna Trollope came via the recommendation of two male readers. I often wonder if they put brown paper wrappers on these authors' books while reading them on their morning train commute.

I'm new here (just joined today) and fumbling my way around, asking questions and hopefully not tripping over my feet.

Hi Maggie - welcome to the forum!

Do you consider novels by Joanna Trollope and Elizabeth Buchan to be chick-lit/women's fiction, or would you categorise them as plain old fiction? I ask because I see Jodi Picoult's novels discussed under 'fiction'; also one of Nora Roberts's books, and I think of her as definitely women's fiction, moreso than Jodi Picoult.

I suppose it all comes down to who's actually reading the books. If men read them, are they automatically reclassified as 'fiction' rather than 'women's fiction,' and who on earth is keeping count?

I've never actually read Joanna Trollope, but from the information I've read, I would consider her to be part of the chick-lit/women's fiction section, and I would definitely say Elizabeth Buchan is as well. I've read a couple of Jodi Picoult, and I think they're probably more often included in the general fiction area, because they don't have a specific female appeal, especially with regards to the crime and courtroom scenarios in the ones I've read. My feeling for the forum so far, is that it isn't so strictly moderated that threads about specific authors or books would be moved, unless there was a general consensus that they would be more appropriate in a specific genre, or if there was already a thread in a different board already dealing with the same author/book.

That said, my introduction to both Elizabeth Berg and Joanna Trollope came via the recommendation of two male readers. I often wonder if they put brown paper wrappers on these authors' books while reading them on their morning train commute.

I think that it's an issue with covers designed specifically to a targeted market, such as chick-lit, and it can be difficult to then get men to even pick up the books to look at, let alone read a book marketed in this way, no matter how good the writing or if the subject might have a broader appeal. The Jodi Picoult cover designs I've seen tend not to be pink or too feminine, so that would account for the male readership, and the inclusion in the general fiction section as well.

My mother-in-law reads Joanna Trollope. I've heard her books referred to as 'Aga Sagas'. :lol:

I think it's because they revolve around family life, whereas a lot of chick-lit appears to be about single women or women who have split up with their partners.

You don't find many Agas (if any) in the U.S., so nobody but a Brit would understand the term. I only heard it a few years back from an English friend who was visiting over here. Very apt, I thought. Sit by a warm stove, feet on the hearth, enjoying a good read about the trials and tribulations of family life.

My daughter, who also reads Joanna Trollope, likes the way she throws a bunch of people together with a variety of problems, and rather than solving all of them, she moves the people a bit further along on their journey so even though things aren't necessarily all tied up neatly, you still feel satisfied with the ending.

I'm not expressing this nearly as succinctly and clearly as my daughter did, and if she wasn't on holiday in the Caribbean (lucky sod) I'd phone and ask her to repeat it.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I have now decided my fav author has got to be Lynsay Sands, I have every single copy of the Argeneau Vampires Series and They are absolute Fab books , they are full of Romance, Adventure , Lust, Happiness and Sadness ! I love them , I've now read four of the 12 and cannot wait till the next one each time . They are a must !!!!

• 2 weeks later...