Favourite chick-lit author?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at "Women's Fiction / Chick Lit" authors, I would have to say that Annie Sanders is my favourite. I've loved every one of their books, all very satisfying and funny.

Most of my other favourite authors can be hit and miss, in that I've loved some of their books, but not all of them. This would include:

Alexandra Potter (first two books were fantastic)

Jane Green (loved probably three quarters of her books, but some weren't great)

Sophie Kinsella (liked the standalone books more than the Shopaholic series)

Jennifer Weiner (loved first two books, but others didn't engage me)

Out of interest really, who do you prefer out of:

Mariam Keyes

Carole Matthews

Chris Manby

Sophie Kinsella

Cecelia Ahern

Or anyone else not mentioned!

Im new to most of them really but do like Chris Manby at the moment!

Marian Keyes (favorite of hers is "Rachel's Holiday" although I've truly loved each of her books) and Sophie Kinsella are probably my 2 favorites out of the ones mentioned.. I do like some of Ahern's books though (loved "PS I Love You".. not crazy about "If You Could See Me Now") , and some of Carole Matthews were good as well (liked "Lets Meet on Platform 8".. not as wild about "With or Without You").

I have honestly never heard of this Chris Manby, which may mean the author isn't distributed much in the US??

I also like Jane Green and LOVE Jane Heller -- I don't think there's a book by Jane Heller that I didn't love!

Also love Mary Kay Andrews :blush:

Since I've joined this forum, I've seemed to go off chick lit. It's a good thing though. I've got a more open mind now and buy books that I would never have even considered before. :readingtwo: Like, I'm reading one (chick lit) at the moment and I can't wait for it to end so I can read something with a bit more depth!

I read one by Jill Mansell and wasn't that impressed. It was a bit too predictable. Having said that, chick lit is perfect when you need a light read. Or if you're going on holiday!

I used to read a lot of Jenny Colgan, although I haven't read much of her more recent stuff. I remember her style changed and I didn't like it so much. I don't read so much chick lit. these days although I have a tendancy to go back to my copy of P.S I love you (I'm not so sure about the others I've read my Celia Ahern, it seems shes trying a bit too hard to make her books different, I still quite enjoy them but not enough to actually buy them). Unless Penny Vincenzi counts as chick lit? I've discovered her fairly recently.

I got Mariam Keyes - the other side of the story free with some books i ordered from a group a few years ago and gave it ago and found it quite funny but didnt have the urge to finish it, i shall give it another go sometime, didnt think it wasnt good just felt i had better books to read at the time, i tired to read another one ages ago with a yellow cover which had a red condom on the side and cover i think... not sure of the author, not into chick lit as of yet, what is chick lit exactly if a man can write it and it can still be classed chick lit, how deep can the topic go for it not to be chicklit....??

Other chick lit wise, I also like Adele Parks

Oooh, I'm so happy! If I have to read chick lit, then Adele Parks would be one of the authors I'd turn to. I've read all her books.

She's coming to my Uni in March to give a talk and probably sign some books! How great is that? :blush:

hello everybody,

this is my first post but I am already looking forward to visiting this page regularly to see what chick lit books other people are reading, liking, discussing, hating, etc. Of the names you mention, Sophie Kinsella and Marian Keyes sort of stand out. However, what is everybody-s opinion on how these authors differ from one another ... Would be great to see what you all think.

Ta,

rmontoro

I also really like Stephen King and Roald Dahl.

Stephen King has written chick-lit?! (I hope you're not counting Misery, that would be a sad indictment on modern romance!).

Would you class Mike Gayle as chicklit?

Having read them all, I can categorically say that Mike Gayle writes Male Confessionals.

Absolutely no question about it.

I'm sure . . .

Stephen King has written chick-lit?! (I hope you're not counting Misery, that would be a sad indictment on modern romance!).

I can't believe I put that :blush: I must have been having an off day. Mike Gayle is another favourite of mine and I would definately class his books as chick-lit.