Favourite chick-lit author?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CD, I'm a huge fan of Maggie O'Farrell, but I don't think I'd class her as chick lit. Have you read any of her others? I actually put My Lover's Lover at the bottom of the list. :)

Hi Michelle who is CD? if you mean me no I haven't read any other book by her. I picked up My Lover's Lover out of curiosity from a charity shop in my pre-kindle days. There were one or two passages in it which stuck in my memory. If you had to pick her best which one would you recommend?

I too am a huge fan of Maggie O'Farrell, but would certainly not classify her books as chick-lit. They are deeply emotional reads, where I think of chick-lit as being quite light and fluffy.

Like Michelle, my top three are After You'd Gone, The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox and The Hand That First Held Mine (I can't rank them - they are all equally brilliant). I wasn't really fond of My Lover's Lover or The Distance Between Us. They just didn't have the pull of the other three. If you pick any of those top three, you simply cannot go wrong. :cool:

I'd like to add Kristin Hannah to this list, she's not particularly light and fluffy as someone described chick lit, she probably leans slightly toward contemporary fiction, but her books will predominantly appeal to women which I think is also chick lit criteria. I've only read Night Road so far as she seems to sell to a mainly US market so her books are more expensive over here, and I have only seen Night Road in Waterstones and that was because it featured on the Richard and Judy book list this year. It was a compelling read, the subject matter is very upsetting and tense and I couldn't put it down. I really must try another of her books to see if they are all as good, I hope so.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Road-Kristin-Hannah/dp/0330534971/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318715690&sr=1-1

Edited by chaliepud

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I add Jessica Thompson to my list of favourite autors. Even though she has written only 1 novel, but she told me on Twitter that her second one is out next year.

I loved her novel "This is a love story". Beautiful. Every page. A delightful read.

Anybody else did read it?

• 1 month later...

I absolutely love Louise bagshawe, and recently read tilly bagshawe's flawless which I loved so looking forward to reading more of hers. I also love sophie kinsella's books, not too keen on marian keyed..

• 3 weeks later...

Maeve Binchy. Hands down. I've read all but two of her books. I like the way Maeve Binchy weaves her stories and plotlines. On more than one occasion I have come to the end of a book she has written and only to find myself disappointed that there isn't more.

• 7 years later...

I have read a lot of Sophie Kinsella and enjoyed them all. Some more than others but I have never been disappointed. 

Other authors I have read and liked from the same or similar genre are Ali McNamara, Milly Johnson, Jill Mansall and Jenny colgan. No doubt forgotten some. 

Chris Manby and Carole Matthews two books each one I loved and one I didnt. .well that is if I have assumed correctly that Chris and Chrissie Manby are the same person. 

I need to read more books by Marian Keyes outside of the Walsh sisters series. 

13 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Chris Manby and Carole Matthews two books each one I loved and one I didnt. .well that is if I have assumed correctly that Chris and Chrissie Manby are the same person. 

Yes, Chris Manby and Chrissie Manby are the same author. As far as I know, Chris Manby are her older books, Chrissie Manby are her newer books. I've read quite a few of them and liked all of them.

2 hours ago, Athena said:

Yes, Chris Manby and Chrissie Manby are the same author. As far as I know, Chris Manby are her older books, Chrissie Manby are her newer books. I've read quite a few of them and liked all of them.

Have you read The Matchbreaker? I laughed so much reading that and the main character was so loveable. I'll definitely look out for more by this author. 

1 hour ago, Lau_Lou said:

Have you read The Matchbreaker? I laughed so much reading that and the main character was so loveable. I'll definitely look out for more by this author. 

I recently managed to find a second-hand copy of it! It has been out of print on my usual website for so long, that when I found a second-hand copy from the UK I ordered it (I don't normally do that, because often they don't arrive - I'm still waiting for my second-hand copy of another book, oh well. But gladly this one did arrive!). I haven't read it yet but I have high hopes I'll like it based on you liking it so much :).

• 7 months later...

Hi, I’ve just joined.  My favourites are Sophie Kinsella, followed closely  by Lindsey Kelk.  I also like Carole Matthews, Katie Fforde, Jill Mansell and Anna Bell and others but often their books have a sad back story of someone who’s died and I’m just looking for fun.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Hi Linda,

Welcome to the forum :)

Have you read anything by Ali McNamara or Milly Joshnson? They are two I would recommend. 

I have only read You're The One That I Don't Want by Alexandra Potter but it is one of the best books I have read this year.

I hope you find some books you enjoy and happy reading :)