Philippa Gregory - The Virgin's Lover

Kell

• 2 years later...

If you are looking to read a good tale about Elizabeth 1 and Robert Dudley (Earl of Leicester) then this is a good read, in particular because it takes the unusual step of focusing more in depth about Amy Robsart Dudley, and her treatment by him and of her feelings of despair at his 'love affair' with the Queen, she comes across as a very tragic figure. I would say this is the second best Elizabeth/Dudley novel I have read and would highly recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

I went straight on Wikipedia after I finished reading to find out more about Amy Robsart Dudley, this book made me curious.

It was interesting to see Elizabeth not as a great Queen yet, but both ambitious and regal, yet vulnerable and a bit overwhelmed.

The part where Elizabeth and Cecil stand outside the Palace and are both too nervous to enter is good.

The different viewpoints made the characters more real to me, as you could see how the other mains reacted.

• 4 months later...

Another enjoyable Tudor book! - My little review:

This is set during the reign of Queen Elizabeth 1 - daughter of Henry V111 and Anne Boleyn. After her sister Mary died without an heir, Elizabeth inherits the throne. She has many suitors but is hesitant with her choice. Her favorite by far is a commoner, and also a married man - Sir Robert Dudley, who was jailed and held in the Tower as a traitor too, during her sister's rein. (as was she) He is a charming courtier, and one who is ready to do almost anything to further his family along. His long suffering wife Amy, does not share his ambitions, and as she keeps hearing gossip about her husband and the Queen at court, goes deeper into depression - after all she cannot really battle with the Queen.

This time, the narration is not in the first person, like the previous Tudor novels I read. however this does not take away anything from the story.

William Cecil is the best policitian ever - he will do anything for England - and tries to protect the Queen during her foolish years, when she is in love with her Master of Horse and during the times when she cannot seem to find the strength to take unpleasant decisions.

I'm really interested in this book after reading The Other Boleyn Girl and The Boleyn Inheritance.

I think it's a really good way to learn about history (never really my strong point at school). I'll add it to my wishlist :) Thanks for the reviews!

Nicola, after The Boleyn Inheritance, there is the Queen's fool, before this book. Have a look at my Reading list if you want...I am reading all of the tudor series. True - I learnt quite a bit from these books, and further more, they made me look things up....so I learnt some more :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

I've read this book before, but I can't seem to resist the lure of Ms. Gregorys historical fiction. Despite the fact that I've got a tottering TBR pile already, this sneaked in to take prior place. :rolleyes:

With the variety of historical authors about these days it's easy to miss the good ones, especially when they don't "sex up" (horrible expression!) their novels for the sake of adding interest.  The Plantagenet and Tudor novels of this author can stand on their own feet as great "reads" without that added false boost. So if anyone is interested in the history of the periods, or about to study them these are an ideal relaxing read.

For the rest of us, just good novels, all the range, which I'm slowly re-reading - (In fact, I think I may be addicted :wibbly: but I suppose there could be worse habits!) - in between other books.

So - back I go, to tragic Amy, lovestruck, ambitious Robert, and Elizabeth I who sacrificed everything for her country.

We haven't had many Queen monarchs throughout history, but by heck those we have had certainly gave everything to their position.

Have a great Christmas or a pleasant 25th December, everyone. Happy :readingtwo: !