The Gargoyle By Andrew Davidson

Nellie

Has anyone read this? I picked it up randomly in a shop and liked the idea, but bizzarly was put off becuase the edges of the pages were black and it was coming off on my fingers like newspaper print. Now I am at home I don't think thats a good reason for not reading a book, and was wondering whether anyone would recommend it, seeing as I am trying to keep my new book purchases to a minimum!

I haven't read it (so I can't help from that point of view) but I do really like the sound of it. I have the hardback version on my Amazon Wishlist, but was waiting for the paperback as I don't actually like hardback books!

The End of Mr Y had similar pages to those you describe but they didn't cause any problems with the colour coming off. :lol:

The End of Mr Y side view.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked this up in Watertone's because (like "The End of Mr. Y") it is a really handsome edition of a book with a really good premise. Problem is, I had to give up on "Mr. Y" about a hundred pages in as I found that the occasional crude scenes and language jarred with the otherwise profound topic - before I waste my money on another book I won't finish: am I likely to have the same problem with "The Gargoyle"?

My copy has the pages with black edges and so far, no problems :)

I am really enjoying 'The Gargoyle', its a different kind of book, its the best way I can explain it at this point :)

I picked this up in Watertone's because (like "The End of Mr. Y") it is a really handsome edition of a book with a really good premise. Problem is, I had to give up on "Mr. Y" about a hundred pages in as I found that the occasional crude scenes and language jarred with the otherwise profound topic - before I waste my money on another book I won't finish: am I likely to have the same problem with "The Gargoyle"?

The Gargoyle contains many distressing scenes, about life as a burns victim. So if you are upset by descriptions of burns then you should definitely avoid this book.

I can't remember any crude scenes, but I'm not sure I can remember any in Mr Y either - sorry I can't be of more help!

Jackie

The Gargoyle contains many distressing scenes, about life as a burns victim. So if you are upset by descriptions of burns then you should definitely avoid this book.

I can't remember any crude scenes, but I'm not sure I can remember any in Mr Y either

I'm not easily upset in general terms; I am a big horror fan for example and have no problem whatsoever reading about blood, guts, torture, eternal damnation - so burns shouldn't be a problem.

What makes me uncomfortable, and has more than once made me abandon a book (such as "Mr. Y" or "Love Without Resistance" by Giles Rozier) is sex scenes that are violent/full of swear-words, particularly if they seem to be put there to shock/grab readers and have nothing much to do with the overall plot and style of the novel.

Any of that in "The Gargoyle"?

Edited by BookJumper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I had to drag this thread back up as I have just finished reading The Gargoyle and I loved it!

A young man is fighting for his life. Into his room walks a bewitching woman who believes she can save him. Their journey will have you believing in the impossible.

You should never judge a book by its cover but look how pretty this book is. The edges of each page are stained black (there is a reason for that) which I found quite cool. I always choose a book from a massive list of recommendations from forums etc and I must admit when choosing this one I went on looks alone. I already knew that I would like it.

The narrator (who remains nameless) is involved in a car crash, causing him to roll down a hill and then sit trapped in his car as his skin 'starts to boil.' He wakes up in hospital burnt from head to toe. He is completely hopeless until he meets Marianne Engel and she helps him back to health in her own unique way.

It is a very touching and engaging book. A perfect mix of love and fantasy. Parts were slightly disturbing as the narrative is unrelenting but I came to care for the characters.

I found myself reading it at every possible opportunity and since this is a debut novel, I really look forward to reading more from this author.

• 4 months later...
This is one of my favourite books. I just couldnt put it down. I hope Andrew Davidson writes another one soon.

I loved The Gargoyle too, for me it was the best book I read in 2009.

It took Davidson 7 years to write so it may be a long wait till his next, however long it takes I eagerly await his next effort.

• 1 year later...

I read this recently , it's a fantastic book & definitely one of my favourite reads this year. It's an unusual book so hard to categorise , the main character is flawed but likable, I'd agree with others that the descriptions of his injuries are not for the faint hearted but for me the best part of the book was the story within the main story when it went back into the past, I kept wanting to get back to that part of the story to find out what happened to them. Compulsive reading & one that I'd recommend to anyone.