Discworld Challenge

Kate

I have finished book six: Wyrd Sisters:

wyrd-sisters.jpg

Synopsis:

Witches are not by nature gregarious, and they certainly don't have leaders.

Granny Weatherwax was the most highly-regarded of the leaders they didn't have.

But even she found that meddling in royal politics was a lot more difficult than certain playwrights would have you believe...

Wyrd Sisters is the sixth novel in the Discworld sequence - the funniest fantasy series ever.

Another Discworld book that I really enjoyed. Pratchett is such a clever, engaging and funny writer. He is fast becoming my favourite author. This story sees the return of Granny Weatherwax as she works to restore the rightful king to the throne, using the eccentricities of a duke, a ghost and a traveling theatre company, and of course, the other two Wyrd Sisters, who were hilarious. I enjoyed the Macbeth references - including blood on the hands, very funny.

This book features Death and his usual humourous antics, including tap dancing, and Granny Weatherwax, a blunt and hilarious woman. I liked the Fool as well, great character.

I really enjoyed this book. My favourite is still Mort but this book was not a let down. I was gripped from the beginning, laughed a lot, and again was transported to the Discworld through Pratchett's very descriptive and clever writing. I highly recommend this book, and the whole series.

8/10

• 2 weeks later...

Completed book seven now: Pyramids

pyramids.jpg

Synopsis:

Being trained by the Assassin's Guild in Ankh-Morpork did not fit Teppic for the task assigned to him by fate. He inherited the throne of the desert kingdom of Djelibeybi rather earlier than he expected (his father wasn't too happy about it either), but that was only the beginning of his problems..."Pyramids" (the book of going forth) is the seventh Discworld novel - and the most outrageously funny to date.

This Discworld novel follows Teppic as he trains as an assassin (yep, I thought that was funny too) and then becomes king of the pyramid country that is Djelibeybi (pronouced De- Jelly-Baby, another that made me laugh). The problem beginnings when Teppic has to build a pyramid for his father, something they both think seems a ridiculous idea. The book sees exploding pyramids, crazy priests and gods going mad. And of course, a visit from Death.

So far, this has been the worst Discworld novel in my opinion. I felt it took a little while to get going, and there were some times I found myself tuning out. However, towards the end, the action picks up and it is fair to say the book is exciting and hilarious. It was definitely worth persevering for.

As ever, Pratchett transported me to a different area of the Discworld, and I was happy to go. The descriptions were such that I could clearly picture the area and the characters were as funny as usual. My favourite was probably Teppic's father, as he watched himself being mummified and listening to him chat to people who couldn't hear him. His journey of self-discovery in death was very humorous.

Although I eventually enjoyed this book, it has not been my favourite. However, I am eager to get to the next one in the series.

7/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I once tried this challenge too, despite having read/listened to the audio CDs of quite a few Pratchetts randomly and out of order. I got through the first 15 (most of which happened to be the ones I'd already read funnily enough!) and then came to a shuddering halt at Soul Music. I just couldn't get into it, which is a shame because I obstinately won't let myself read any later ones until I've got through it lol. I therefore haven't read any Pratchett for more than a year ;)