Discworld Challenge

Kate

I've decided that as I am currently really enjoying Terry Pratchett's Discworld Series, I will set myself a challenge:

to read them all in 2009!

Here they all are:

[*]The Colour of Magic

[*]The Light Fantastic

[*]Equal Rites

[*]Mort

[*]Sourcery

[*]Wyrd Sisters

[*]Pyramids

[*]Guards! Guards!

[*]Eric

[*]Moving Pictures

[*]Reaper Man

[*]Witches Abroad

[*]Lords and Ladies

[*]Small Gods

[*]Men at Arms

[*]Soul Music

[*]Interesting Times

[*]Maskerade

[*]Feet of Clay

[*]Hogfather

[*]Jingo

[*]The Last Continent

[*]Carpe Jugulum

[*]The Fifth Elephant

[*]The Truth

[*]The Thief Of Time

[*]The Last Hero

[*]The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents

[*]Night Watch

[*]The Wee Free Men

[*]Monstrous Regiment

[*]A Hat Full of Sky

[*]Going Postal

[*]THUD!

[*]Where's My Cow?

[*]Wintersmith

[*]Making Money

The ones I have read are hyperlinked to the review. I am so excited about this challenge!!

So...here we go!

Edited by Kate

Is that list in reading order (as in the order they should be read in)?

I tried a Pratchett - Hogfather - a couple of years ago but just couldn't get into it, despite the fact that I LOVED THE CHARACTER OF DEATH!

Good luck with the challenge. :lol:

Ooh, I'm so excited for you! I LOVE the Discworld series! As I'm actually up to date with the Discworld novels (I get them as they're published and read them ASAP) I won't be joining in on the challenge, but I'll be watching your progress closely and waiting to hear what you think of all the books as you get to them. :lol:

Edit, Michelle found a good guide which you can find, - Here.

:roll:

Do you mean me? If not, thanks anyway as it answers my question too. :( I'm certain Kell sent me something similar a few years ago but I lost all my bookmarks.

As a non-reader, which of the 'starter' books would you recommend I try first?

Do you mean me? If not, thanks anyway as it answers my question too. :roll: I'm certain Kell sent me something similar a few years ago but I lost all my bookmarks.

As a non-reader, which of the 'starter' books would you recommend I try first?

Na', I mean Michelle found the guide. I see how you mis-interpreted what I said, I should have been clearer, sorry. I'm a non-reader as well but I've been told The Colour Of Magic is a good one to start.

I'm certain Kell sent me something similar a few years ago but I lost all my bookmarks.
Yes, I posted it in the Terry Pratchett thread a while back, as well as including it in my Pratchett article. :roll:

Nah, my fault, I totally misread what you'd typed.

I think I'm due for a sight test again - I misread someone's status on Facebook earlier and was mightily confused. Sorry Ben. :roll:

Lol no problem. :(

Yes, I posted it in the Terry Pratchett thread a while back, as well as including it in my Pratchett article.

That was it! I had the link saved but I couldn't remember where I got it from.. I just remembered that it was posted by Michelle.

Nope - it was me - LOL!

If you want to try them out but not start at the very beginning there's a handy guide HERE that gives all the mini-series starting points.
If you're completely new to Pratchett, well, all I can say is - what fun you have coming your way! There's an excellent guide to possible reading orders HERE - start at any odf the golden-coloured squares - they all start "mini-series" within the Discworld as a whole. Start with ANY of those, except, perhaps, The Colour of Magic, as in my opinion, the very first two books in the Discworld series are the weakest (just my opinion, but I really do feel they're not a patch on the later books!).
For those of you who have never tried the Discworld novels, I found this wonderful guide to which order you should try reading them: http://www.addictedtodiscworld.com/ReadingGuide.html

Also see the article on the blog HERE.

Edited by Kell

I'm the same - if I'd started with the 1st 2 books in the series, I never would have read the rest if them and that would have been a shame. I think Pratchett's style develops by leaps and bounds afer those two - the first inkling we get of his later, more polished style, comes out in Equal Rites and develops from there...

I have now read Sourcery! Here is the review:

sourcery.jpg

Synopsis:

There was an eighth son of an eighth son. He was, quite naturally, a wizard. And there it should have ended. However (for reasons we'd better not go into), he had seven sons. And then he had an eighth son...a wizard squared...a source of magic...a Sourcerer. Sourcery sees the return of Rincewind and the luggage as the Discworld faces its greatest - and funniest - challenge yet.

Another great book in the Discworld series. Again, not let down. Although I didn't think this book was as good as Mort, Sourcery is still a good book. It is full of adventure and magic, and humour as we follow Coin, the new sourcer try to take over the world, battled by none other than Rincewind! There are eccentric characters throughout the book, and old favourites, such as Death and The Luggage. I laughed a lot through this book. Pratchett again caught my imagination and I was transported off to the Discworld, and he held me gripped as the Discworld nearly experienced The Apocalypse...

As mentioned, the characters were fantastic. I love Rincewind, and how he survives purely on being scared and running away. Death was full of his usual humour, although this time he was added by War, Famine and Pestilence. I love how Pratchett personifies things such as death and war - unique, and pure brilliance. The Luggage had it's own storyline too, which I loved. Such a funny object - I want one! And of the new characters, I loved Nigel. Training to be a barbarian through a book was justgenius!

As usual, I was left feeling satisfied and I am now longing for my next installment of the Discworld magic. I am hooked to these books.

8/10

Several They just seem too "Intelligent" for me. The humour is a bit "Middle Class" and childish like it belongs to a secret gang of alternative fiction.

Oh well It just does not seem to be my thing which is a shame. I would dearly like to read them so any tips on reading chronology or starter books would be helpful.

Edited by Colin Jacobs

Here - That's where you can find the complete list. Thanks to Kell for the link.

It's worth mentioning, the list only goes as far as Going Postal. Since then, there has been Thud! and Where's My Cow? (companion to Thud!) and there's one due out this year - The Unseen Academicals.

It's worth mentioning, the list only goes as far as Going Postal. Since then, there has been Thud! and Where's My Cow? (companion to Thud!) and there's one due out this year - The Unseen Academicals.

I think I'll worry about that once I've got through them ones! :) Although your right, was worth mentioning.