BCF Challenge

Guest ii

Okay, a random idea. I just thought, that as we all love challenges so much, and we love doing things together, why not have a BCF Challenge? What the challenge criteria would be like, I have no idea. But we could do this like... well, you know how Oprah comes out with the list, and all these other talk shows and what-not? So, we could come up with one too, and make that list as a challenge. Or something. I didn't really develop the idea any further yet...

What do you think?

*laughs* Great minds think alike, I suppose.

I don't really know what sort of lists R&J and Oprah's are, are they new releases? Or old ones?

Also, I was thinking, as there's already reviews blog, there could be challenges blog. Any challenge that is done by the members, and has a set of simple rules, could be listed there, for easy reference and follow-up. Any interest? The BCF Challenge would obviously be the 'main' one, and the others as 'additional challenges'. This could also be a good resource for books, because as we've seen some challenge requirements are tricky (French book published in 1924, anyone?) so when something is found for these tricky ones they could be listed there, or what people have read for that criteria, so that anyone finding themselves in lack of a book can go and see what others have read.

I would be interested, although it will be hard to find something to suit everyone..

Edit - 'Inspector French's Greatest Case' was published in 1924, but it's not by a French author unfortunately. Shame you can't cheat and use the title!

Edited by Ben

I'm not sure about the blog idea, as members already use the forum to discuss challenges.. and a blog with multiple users seems to complicate things when we have here already.

The R&J books are new ones, I believe.. although I'm not sure if they're already published in hardback before?

Maybe we could utilise the reading circles, so that at the end of the year, we vote for the favourite book? Or maybe we need something separate?

The main idea behind the blog idea I had was sort of "knowledge bank", a easy reference for the challenges. Easy to find a particular type of challenge you're looking for, or a book suggestion, for example. Discussions would probably still take place in here.

Of course the books could be "new releases", at least new paperbacks. I think new books would be the way to go, especially if the goal is to give an option to R&J and Oprah and such.

I'd keep this separate from the Reading Circles. If for no other reason, it would complicate the Circles. And also, if we go for the new books, or new paperbacks at least, it would really only concern the MC. And as one of the requirements for MC nominations are easy paperback availability, the ideas kind of clash.

Again, I'm just playing with the ideas, so...

Or perhaps the Reading Circle team could each choose a book they think would make for really interesting discussion and that could be part of the reading circle for next year? How would folks feel about that?

I'm willing to contribute if you need any ideas. We could read a different style each month or so (mystery, first person, comic book etc.). It would have variety then. P.S. Oprah's books aren't always new books now. She has been choosing old classics and gets them back on the New York Times Bestselling list.