Kat's Reading 2008

Lilywhite

I tried my best with The Memory Keepers Daughter as I was thoroughly sucked in with the hype on this one. However, 150 pages in and I can't carry on. I've decided that there are too many other books I've really looked forward to reading, that are sat on my shelf whilst I bore myslef reading this one. That's not to say it's an awful book, it's just not for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still reading the enormous tome that is Eldest ~ Christopher Paolini. I had almost forgotten how much I love his writing style (and I'm completely in love with Saphira)

Darkness falls...Despair abounds...Evil reigns...Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have just saved the rebel state from destruction by the mighty forces of King Galbatorix, cruel ruler of the Empire. Now, Eragon must travel to Ellesmera, land of the elves, for further training in magic and swordsmanship, the vital skills of the Dragon Rider. It is the journey of a lifetime, filled with awe-inspiring new places and people, each day a fresh adventure. But chaos and betrayal plague him at every turn, and Eragon isn't sure whom he can trust. Meanwhile, his cousin Roran must fight a new battle back home in Carvahall - one that puts Eragon in even graver danger. Will the king's dark hand strangle all resistance? Eragon may not escape with even his life...

Eldest has taken me nearly 3 weeks on and off but I'm loving it. I have Brisingr to be read later on. I have to admit, they are a bit daunting in hardback and my wrist hurts after a while :D

I'm up to the good bit now so I'm nearly finished :D

Onto my bookring from Supergran Helpless ~ Barbara Gowdy

Celia is the struggling single mother of an exceptionally, angelically beautiful child: nine-year-old Rachel. All too aware of the precarious balance of the life she has built for the two of them, she worries about her daughter's longing for the father she has never met. When Rachel disappears one summer night during a blackout, Celia is stricken with guilt and terror about what her choices might now mean for her daughter's fate. The media coverage of the abduction is tremendous, running nationwide. Closely monitoring events is Ron, an appliance repairman who lives in the neighbourhood. Though Rachel is a stranger to him, he convinces himself that she is his responsibility. His feelings for her are at once tender, misguided and chillingly possessive. Tapping into the fears that lie just beneath the surface of modern urban life, HELPLESS is a haunting and provocative story of heart-stopping suspense.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished Helpless and left my thoughts in the appropriate thread. I've now moved onto another bookring (they're coming in thick and fast and I've no idea who keeps putting my name down for them :) )

Onto The End of Mr Y ~ Scarlett Thomas

When Ariel Manto uncovers a copy of The End of Mr. Y in a second-hand bookshop, she can't believe her eyes. She knows enough about its author, the outlandish Victorian scientist Thomas Lumas, to know that copies are exceedingly rare. And, some say, cursed.With Mr. Y under her arm, Ariel finds herself thrust into a thrilling adventure of love, sex, death and time-travel.

Now I'm reading Second Glance by Jodi Picoult as it was the first one I came to on my bookshelf.

Do we love across time? Or in spite of it? A developer has slated an ancient Abenaki Indian burial ground for a strip mall, and now strange happenings have tiny Comtosook, Vermont, talking of supernatural forces at work. Ross Wakeman is a ghost hunter who's never seen a ghost-all he's searching for is something to end the pain of losing his fiance Aimee in a car accident. He tried suicide-any number of times. Now Ross lives only for a way to connect with Aimee from beyond. Searching the site for signs of the paranormal, Ross meets the mysterious Lia, who sparks him to life for the first time in years. But the discoveries that await Ross are beyond anything he could dream of in this world-or the next. Expertly entwining a powerful drama of the heart's redemption and the disturbing real-life history of the VT eugenics project of the 1930s, Second Glance asks if truth is always something that can be measured… and if what can be measured is indeed always true.

Another brilliant book by Jodi Picoult, despite the fact that I spotted a lot of the important bits well before they were revealed. It might just be that I am used to her writing style by now, although it didn't detract from the enjoyment of the book at all.

Now... to my bookshelf for my next treat :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I went with Keeping The Dead ~ Tess Gerritsen as my mum kindly left it for me when she finished it. I can't say I enjoyed this one as much as the others but I'm unsure as to why. I just seem to get a bit bored towards the end. It felt a bit more like a filler book than part of a series, besides the main plot, there wasn't much development of Maura or Jane. A bit disappointed although it hasn't put me off altogether.