• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far this year I've read:

Two Caravans - Marina Lewycka

The Road Home - Rose Tremain

Queen Lucia - E. F. Benson

I've just finished Miss Mapp by E. F. Benson today, which was a gem, and I'm absolutely loving the Mapp and Lucia series.

I've also had a purge of my TBR list, simply because there are some books that have been on the list for four years, and I still don't feel the inclination to start them, so I've reduced the list to 78 books, but there are a further 14 on my wishlist. I'm still hoping to reduce my TBR pile to 20 before the end of the year, and to not buy anymore books until I've done that!

Edited by chesilbeach

So far this year I've read:

Two Caravans - Marina Lewycka

The Road Home - Rose Tremain

Queen Lucia - E. F. Benson

Miss Mapp - E. F. Benson

Lucia In London - E. F. Benson

After the purge of my TBR list, I succumbed to temptation in the book shop today, and I've added another five books ;)

Think I'll have a break from Mapp and Lucia series, and have something contemporary before starting the second anthology

Edited by chesilbeach

After the purge of my TBR list, I succumbed to temptation in the book shop today, and I've added another five books ;)

Ha Ha

I used to do this all the time. I find it easier just to stay away from the shops completely.

Before Xmas I overheard my OH and son discussing a shopping trip and my son said "well, we know Mum will just be in the book shops all day" and my OH replied "yes, well I'm holding the plastic this time".:D

Charity shops..... boot sales......... "uh oh, watch your mother there's a book stall!"

I hate ALL other shops.

You have a very varied and interesting list. I like to read all sorts too. I notice one by Penelope Lively that I haven't heard of that I may look up. I loved her 'Moon Tiger'. Have you read it?

Edited by rwemad

You have a very varied and interesting list. I like to read all sorts too. I notice one by Penelope Lively that I haven't heard of that I may look up. I loved her 'Moon Tiger'. Have you read it?

I've never read any of her books before, but this was a 10p find in a charity shop, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Finished re-reading Lucia Victrix: Mapp and Lucia today, and enjoyed it even more on a second read, as this time, I'd read the previous novels in the series, so had a better understanding of where the characters had come from to get to this point of their story.

Continuing the anthology, I've started the fifth book today, Lucia Victrix: Lucia's Progress, which even after one chapter I'm already loving it!

Thanks everydayxangels, I think I'll need it, if I'm going to make a dent in that pile. :lol:

Finished Lucia Victrix: Lucia's Progress this afternoon, and thoroughly enjoyed it (as predicted!).

I had intended to go straight on to the final Mapp and Lucia book, but I've decided to take a detour into a couple of other books instead. After hearing an interview with her on the radio yesterday, I'm going to read A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff next.

That would probably be On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan. Although everyone in my book group raves about him, I've only read one other of his books (Saturday) which I found tedious, and my OH has read others which he thinks were awful and, annoyingly, he's usually right when it comes to books, so it's put me off reading any other books by Mr McEwan.

That would probably be On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan. Although everyone in my book group raves about him, I've only read one other of his books (Saturday) which I found tedious, and my OH has read others which he thinks were awful and, annoyingly, he's usually right when it comes to books, so it's put me off reading any other books by Mr McEwan.

I read it last year. It's quite short and a quick read, so if you ever decide to read it just because of the title, it won't take too long!

Completed Honey and Dust by Piers Moore Ede this evening. A lovely change to the fiction I've been reading recently, with a mixture of memoir, natural history, anthropology and travel. I've reviewed it on my blog here

Will be starting my last Mapp and Lucia book tonight, and although they are such witty, amusing books, I'm a little sad at finishing the series!

Didn't actually start Trouble for Lucia until today, but gulped it down in two sittings, so my love affair with 1930's middle class village society is over for now. I've been told that I should read P. G. Wodehouse since I've loved the Mapp and Lucia series so much, but I think I'm going to continue trying to work through my existing TBR shelves before adding any more books to them (although OH does own a couple of Jeeves & Wooster omnibuses so I could sneak those onto the list without spending any money and feeling guilty!).

:blush: Haven't yet decided what to read next, so going to contemplate that this evening, and pick something to take to work tomorrow to start during my lunch break.

I finished For One More Day by Mitch Albom yesterday, which I was a bit disappointed by (see my comments in the thread for that book here).

This meant I felt I had to "treat" myself to something I was pretty much guaranteed to like, one of my favourite authors for entertainment, Meg Cabot, and luckily I had Queen of Babble in the Big City in my TBR pile. I'm not going to give a review of it with a synopsis, because if you haven't read the first Queen of Babble book, then it will give away the end, but it was exactly what I expected from Meg - a well written, fun, girly chick-lit book, the perfect pick me up. I know there is a third book in the series, and this one ends on a cliffhanger, so I can't wait to get the next one when it's published in May.

But, I did have a massive problem with the book - the synopsis on the back of the book tells you a huge plot point that only happens on page 263 out of 307! Why do publishers have to do that? Doesn't anyone check these things? Who thinks it's a good idea to give away something that happens 90% of the way through the book????!!!! Jeez, some people :)

Not updated for a few days, but finished The Other Side of the Stars by Clemency Burton-Hill on Wednesday. It was pretty good for a debut novel and an entertaining read, but with sections of the story told by three different characters, it felt a bit lengthy. The author dealt well the contemporary story of Lara interspersed with the telling of the stories of her mother and father.

Started Who's That Girl by Alexandra Potter. A light, fluffy chick-lit author, and I adored her first two novels, but felt the next few books didn't live up to the same standard. This one is starting off promisingly, and I'm hoping it's a full return to form.

Just finished Who's That Girl? by Alexandra Potter, which was very enjoyable. I thought it was almost as good as her first two books, which I adored, and I'm so glad, because some of her books in between those and this one had disappointed me a lot, but this was very entertaining.

I've got the latest Agatha Raisin book by M.C. Beaton from the library at the moment, so I'm going to curl up in the armchair this evening and devour the latest adventure of my favourite detective!