Reading Quirks!

Who has strange quirks, habits or superstitions to do with books and reading, here are a few of mine to start with.......

I always check how many pages there are before reading.

I try to never crease or bend the spine of a book or turn over corner of page.

I never lay a book face down open.

I always clean/wipe second hand books as soon as possible.

anymore.........................................?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to never crease or bend the spine of a book or turn over corner of page.

I never lay a book face down open.

Me too!

Also:

I never put books on the floor (no idea why)

I don't like to be watched while I am reading, I don't mind if others are reading around me, but if I catch someone watching me on a train for example, I get quite uncomfortable.

I dont like putting books down on other books that are smaller than them:roll:

m4 :D And not just when I pile them. When I set them on a shelf they have to be in size order (as in how tall they are but also how deep in the shelf). And series also have to be in the right order :)... problem is, these rules dont always work together and I then get an impossible dilemna :lol:

May I join the OCD club? *laughs*

EDIT: hadnt seen enthusiast's post. 5 then!

(as in how tall they are but also how deep in the shelf). And series also have to be in the right order :lol:... problem is, these rules dont always work together and I then get an impossible dilemna :D

I am exactly the same :) My books are jutting out on their shelf to line up with the bigger books and I'm afraid they're going to topple over and fall on me in my sleep! All because I'm O-C :roll:

When I finish a reading session and go to place my bookmark, I make certain the card is placed exactly so with the "front" of my current index card bookmark facing the page where I have to start reading next session.

Yes, Mrs. purple95 thinks I'm weird also.

Cheers,

dan :D

My books have to be organised by author, size and preferably the order in which I bought them.

I have to count the pages so I can work how much I have left to read.

I cannot read a second hand books - it's just wrong.

I have to read til the end of a chapter or a page that ends with a full stop before I can put a book down.

The bookmark cannot be poking out of the top of the book, it just looks odd.

I have to take the price label and/or "3 for 2" (or any other type) of sticker off the cover of a book, and if the glue sticks to the cover, I will have to get something to wash it off before I can start to read it.

I have a thing about that as well, and if it ruins any of the cover I get so annoyed! :D

I always count the pages too, and then as I read through, I work out how far into it (5th... 3rd... half-way... 2/3rds... etc) I am. :lol:

I have that ritual every day before and after I start reading

I have to take the price label and/or "3 for 2" (or any other type) of sticker off the cover of a book, and if the glue sticks to the cover, I will have to get something to wash it off before I can start to read it.

Oh how those labels annoy me :)

m4 :D And not just when I pile them. When I set them on a shelf they have to be in size order (as in how tall they are but also how deep in the shelf). And series also have to be in the right order :tong:... problem is, these rules dont always work together and I then get an impossible dilemna :roll:

I've had this habit since I was 6 or 7 years old so that is never going to change after a few decades. All set by author, series, and size. Lack of space is making this more difficult but I haven't broken that rule yet

Bookmarks always have to be lined up with the bottom of the page exactly so that not much is poking out of the top and of course be facing the right way up!!

Edited by Kell
fixed quote code

1. Removing those 3 for 2 stickers

2. Bending page corners. Although I have been known to do it when my internal bookmark is on holiday.

3. Bookmarks. I have used them in the past and quite liked all the different designs you can get, but for a while now I can't read properly if I'm using one.

Edited by Kell
Inserted ALL the capitals!