away with the fairies

chrysalis_stage

Hello everyone, i came across this site by googling the words book forums quite simple really dont know why i didnt earlier.

Anyhoo im a 3rd year university student studying wildlife biology and natural history battling with time to read books i should read and books i want to read for pleasure.

I would say i adore books, being surrounded by books or holding books especially hard backed books makes me all fuzzy inside :friends0:im sure many of you understand that. :D I wouldnt say im addicted yet, like a few people i know.

My boyfriend probably thinks otherwise and learnt the hard way during our late night romantic walks i found out borders stayed open till 10pm :D, lets just say i rarely not get dragged out of bookshops, or detoured away from them and stalls on the market. I was in the charity shop the other day and he became a baracade between the videos and the bookshelves so i didnt notice they were there, it was hilarious looking back, poor thing, i feel like i havent been in a shop 5 mins before being dragged out but people insist ive been there hours.

Well i feel like ive rambled on, i love the look of this site and hope to join in many posts and get inspiration and recommendations from you all, thanks

Sarah :lol:

:lol: to the forum, Sarah!

I know how you feel. I don't make it inside bookstores very often. I usually get detoured away from them...unless my partner wants to look at books too. Then I'm allowed in. :D But he'll try and pin my arms to my sides or distract me in other ways so I can't concentrate on what I'm looking at. :D

What do you like to read?

Welcome to the forum, your certainly in the right place to get recommendations, and talk with us about certain books. Hope to see you around!

~Ben.

Hi and welcome, Sarah!! You'll fit right in here with your addiction (YES! it IS an addiction.. j/k to books! Hope you have a great time exploring and learning about the site.

haha i agree its an addiction, one i never want cured :)

Hi Sarah and welcome Wow, Wildlife Biology and Natural History, that sounds wonderful. What career are you hoping to follow when you graduate? (Have you read any of Gerald Durrell's books?)

No i havent read any durrell books, have you, recommend any? I do have three dvds of his, I have also been to his conservation/zoo in Jersey 3 years ago which was lots of fun with my college, we were there for a number of days shown around, and had to pick an enclosure of animals that we could redesign and present, i picked the fruit bats and it fed my love of bats. Thats what i hope to go into actually, i know experience is crucial in this field more than anything so i hope to gather more experience, get the rabies shot and get to help the beautiful misunderstood specie. Also love trees and insects so surveying would be great fun but we cant pick and choose ill have to go with the flow and take as many opportunities that come my way i guess. Im sure lots of people get this but when you first go to uni you think you have a rough idea of what you want to do, then they open your eyes to lots of possible things and you are so confused and open to alot of things. Tis how im feeling at the moment, i welcome most things. Need to learn to drive and im adament on getting a job in a bookshop some time in my life, although i have heard when you work in a bookshop you can get sick and tired of them and i dont want that happening so hmmm we will see, once i start typing i cant stop sorry. What do you do? I see your avatar is a painting, an artist by any chance?:tong:

Im interested in a scientific illustration course in blackpool also but thats an undecided thing really :roll:

:lol: to the forum, Sarah!

I know how you feel. I don't make it inside bookstores very often. I usually get detoured away from them...unless my partner wants to look at books too. Then I'm allowed in. But he'll try and pin my arms to my sides or distract me in other ways so I can't concentrate on what I'm looking at.

What do you like to read?

Haha, allowed, its so true, you feel 5 years old, i'm so glad to hear of it.

I like to read lots of things im not sure where to start, books recommended for teenagers, crime thrillers, fantasy, random romantic fiction the odd chick lit if i have nothing better, historical fiction, horror, classics and non-fiction all the same, depends what my mood is that day, week, year, probably the same for most people. How about you, what do you like?

Welcome, hope you enjoy it here, we're all the same when it comes to book shopping, so don't worry!

good to hear, i knew you were out there somewhere! :lol:

Thank you everyone else for your welcomes!:D

Hiya Sarah! :tong:

I see you're reading from Manda Scott's Boudica series - what do you

think of it?

i love it so far, i love the emotion in it, already nearly cried and only about 5 chapters in, i have been a bit disappointed as the story is focused on breaca's brother ban at the moment but i guess its just setting the scene, i want to know more about breaca. I think i read somewhere in one review (i shouldnt have read really) about another book in the series that ban goes on the opposite side to breaca, so the books may centre around their relationship and both sides, im not sure yet, have your read them? if so what did you think, if not are you thinking of getting them?

ooo yay just bid and won the whole series of boudica on ebay so ill have the first book twice but thats ok ill give one to the charity shop - got 4 books for

No i havent read any durrell books, have you, recommend any? I do have three dvds of his, I have also been to his conservation/zoo in Jersey 3 years ago which was lots of fun with my college, we were there for a number of days shown around, and had to pick an enclosure of animals that we could redesign and present, i picked the fruit bats and it fed my love of bats.

Probably my favourite book is Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals where as a small boy he and his family go to live on the Greek Island of Corfu. He has an idyllic time, collects lots of animals and insects for pets which cause all sorts of mayhem. The family are a delightful eccentric bunch and the book is very funny. But with your interest in biology you would probably enjoy any of his books.