Do teenagers still read books?

Suburbanite

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be worth checking out BBC 4 at 9:00 tonight. It's not about teenagers, but it does follow Michael Rosen trying to start a 'reading revolution' in a primary school.

But I didn't make a secret of it - it gave people the impression I was highly intelligent, which always amused me. Although I got slagged for loving english class coz we got to read To Kill A Mockingbird, Roll Of Thunder Hear My Cry, Wuthering Heights and Of Mice and Men and I loved them all :friends0:

I read Wuthering Heights and Roll of THunder aswell when i was in school and while everyone else was complaining about it i loves them both:readingtwo: I find that not many people of my age (early twenties) have no interest in reading and also many tenagers i know aren't that interested either. As someone else suggested the prevalence of the internet,television etc has took over.:eek:

I'm a teenager and I still read quite often :lol:

The problem is, there is never a good book out when you need one!

For anyone who is looking for a good teen - early twenties book I would definatly recommend The Pellinor Series - Alison Croggon, i read them and they are awesome:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I just pop in to suggest you a very good book which deals with the question that started the present thread: "The rights of the reader" by Daniel Pennac.

As the original title suggests ("Like a novel" , which I think is better than the english one) it is both about the passion of reading and the duty of reading. Quite enjoyable and entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...

i just turned 18 and am constantly reading. i got into reading when i was probably 15 or 16...i used to think reading was torture and know i never leave without a book. :shrug:

i love bookstores to...just the sight of all those books just makes me smile, i could spend hours in a bookstore

My son used to read more before he entered High School. Now whatever he reads is for school and not for pleasure. I think it is too much school work for him to read outside of homework. He was such an avid reader too, he read the HP books in one day. I think teenagers are getting away from it thanks to the advent of the computer and video game.

But then again, I HATED to read as a teenager. You had to put a gun to my head. I didn't start being an avid reader until about 4 years ago.

They are actually, I worked in a bookshop for 3 years and we had quite a lot of kids/teenagers coming in. I think you just have to see that they usually haven't got loads of money to spend and also spend most of their time hanging over books in school and maybe even at home for homework. And as much as I love books, sometimes I can't be bothered to read, especially when I already did some studying.

But if you look at some teenage fiction books you can see that there must be teenagers reading as they sell extraordinary well like Harry Potter or Twilight :yes:

Mh, sometimes I see kids in the bus reading a book but mostly there are older people who read, that's right. Most kids find it like "uncool" or I think they just don't have the time to read. School is pretty hard nowadays for them I suppose.

Mh, sometimes I see kids in the bus reading a book but mostly there are older people who read

I *try* to read on the bus (granted, I am not a teenager anymore but those times are not far behind) but noisy kids with their "music" playing full-blast on their expensive mp3 phones make it impossible to concentrate. If you say something, they laugh at you. And there goes the only slot during the day when I have time left to read...

I read on the bus to actually escape the boring journey or rather annoying people on it. i find it relaxing to slip away into whatever story i am reading about, sometimes i almost miss my stop :haha:

I wish I could do that as effectively... I find it really hard to concentrate on anything for more than two minutes, even if it's a book I'm enjoying, so unless there's near absolute silence I won't get past the first sentence...

I wish I could do that as effectively... I find it really hard to concentrate on anything for more than two minutes, even if it's a book I'm enjoying, so unless there's near absolute silence I won't get past the first sentence...

I have a noisey commute too. NYC is not known for quiet. I've learned over the years to tune it out. When it is really bad (noisey kids or a 'preacher') I put my ipod on. I can read to music with no problem and it drowns out the other noise.

• 3 weeks later...

Same with me. I need a really really good book for me to concentrate when there's noise about. Besides, I can't read in a car or a bus either. I've tried, but I just got dizzy. :irked:

Anyways, most of my friends that I hang out with read. :) But other people are like, "Who reads nowadays?" or like, "Who LIKES books! You'd have to be a nerd to like a book". And you can imagine my reaction to that. :o