Do teenagers still read books?

Suburbanite

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But when i worked at a high school i was disparately trying to encourage the students to read more, with little success.

Some people seem to find reading boring. That thought is mind baffling to me. You get to escape to another world and can live a completely different life through a fictional character (albeit in our minds but still :readingtwo:). How could that ever be boring?

I'm 19 and I (obviously) love reading. I do think it is less common in my generation though. It's a shame because people who refuse to read are missing out on so much!

Urgh. Don't you just hate it when people say 'I'll wait for the film to come out'. The movies can rarely, if ever, live up the books. I hope my nieces and nephews read. I already buy them books and they're all younger than five. :lol:

Blah.. my own husband says this! "I'd rather watch the movie.. it only takes an hour and a half." I used to battle with him and say that was true but it's NEVER as good.. but he seems quite content so I let it go. :readingtwo:

Some people just don't like to sit down and focus on a book for long periods of time. He's been sitting on "Pillars of the Earth" for like 3 weeks and hasn't cracked it open. I've read 3 books in that time.

To each his own, I guess.. :D

i started care about reading when i was 15 ...

i remember that the first book i bought it was about the quick reading .

now iam 19 and i like philosophy books

i read about 15 books about philosophy

but unfortunately i forgot most of what i read :(

Hiya ALJANOBI, welcome to BCF!

I think I have forgotten some of the books I have read, but then discover

that I have just put the memory of it in a drawer in my mind. All it needs

is a nudge for me to remember it all again! :(

Regarding teenage readers, I think if they get a hook then they are away!

That's where books such as Harry Potter, Twillight series, The Dark Materials

really come into their own.

If someone hasn't caught the reading bug by their teens, it is these types of books

that bridge the gap between children's and adult categories, and allows

a young person a way into reading that is acceptable and comfortable.

I was constantly reading throughout teen years, i do think i was most definitely in the minority though. I always hung out in the library and waterstones, t'is just so cool being around books, i don't know why, they really do have a presence about them xD

I was constantly reading throughout teen years, i do think i was most definitely in the minority though. I always hung out in the library and waterstones, t'is just so cool being around books, i don't know why, they really do have a presence about them xD

I agree with you completely. I think I was definitely deemed a geek in high school especially. I tended to eat lunch in the library most of the time so that I could catch up in my reading instead of hanging out with my friends :lol:. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy spending time with the pals, it was just that I adored reading so much more.

I'd always read a book a week since primary school, having random stories and imaginings in my head was something i loved, then in high school i used to hang out in the library quite often and i picked up the third harry potter and after that i just read and read and read. So i guess i can call that a catalyst, even though i was reading often before that.

When I was in 'high school' - my library never got used. It was some books in the back of a classroom. Now they've built a seperate building for the library, but I can't imagine it gets used much.

My really old copy of The Count Of Monte Cristo came from that library - I borrowed it and took so long reading it that the teacher (also my neighbour and english teacher) told me to keep it.

I'm guessing a majority probably don't, since they're probably so desperate to fit in a cliche. Not that I know. Most of the people in my school would respond with a "reading is gay" or "you're a nerd" if you'd ask them. Heh...

Hahaha yeah! Bless them :'] i was content as being a nerd or a loser. To be honest, i didn't think much of beating people up, smoking around shady alleys, throwing bricks at windows, calling people all manner of insults etc was 'cool' i'd take reading a novel over that anytime.

Most of the people in my school would respond with a "reading is gay" or "you're a nerd" if you'd ask them. Heh...

I think there's a group like that in every school. I had even friends of mine sometimes find me in the library with a book, or in the hallway reading, or even in class while there was a break and ask me "Why are you reading?"

Hahaha yeah! Bless them :'] i was content as being a nerd or a loser. To be honest, i didn't think much of beating people up, smoking around shady alleys, throwing bricks at windows, calling people all manner of insults etc was 'cool' i'd take reading a novel over that anytime.

Ditto!

Completely agree with that!

I definitely didn't do any of these horrid things (kids are SO mean these days! GEEZ!), but I got much too busy in high school to actually do any reading. I read from the time I was very small up until I was about 14 or so.. then I took a sort of hiatus through high school and some of college, then fell right back in love with it. I hate thinking about how many great books I probably missed during those years.... :lol:

Okay only taking this experience from the people I know I don't think many people do read anymore, there main saying is 'Its better to wait for the movie'. But saying that a lot of my friends do read. My boufriends a big reader but a lot of my friends are little readers you know reading books every now and again. I think generally not to be steotypical but its the more intelligent people who read. But the school do make us read books and write reviews on them but not many people do that. I of course participate =]