Do teenagers still read books?

Suburbanite

Well I have only just thirteen from the last couple of days of October and Ive always read, I was reading at a very young age or so my parents tell me, and I love books, I read all the time, anywhere, anytime and I honestly do agree that people prefer the internet to reading books, but I balance, and mix the internet with books using this site. I am able to read a 600 page book or more in less than a day and I always encourage people to read so most of my friends do :lol:

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm nineteen (and therefore still a teenager for 7 more months :lol:) and I, obviously, love reading. I have for as far back as I can remember. I do feel like that's not exactly the 'norm' though. It seems almost rare to find someone of a similar age that reads, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. I think it might be a generation thing; most seem more interested in TV, going out and what not. It's a bit sad really because so many are missing out. If only they'd give it a chance! I'm probably the keenest reader out of my friends :D

I'm 15, and a very avid reader. Have been from a very young age, was reading the first Harry Potter book when I was 6/7, so I've been told. :lol: In year 5, at the age of 10, I was given the reading age of 15+, which was the highest you could go. :D It's obvious that people are reading less and less now in my generation. I think it's mostly because of the internet, and the fact that people would much rather be out with mates and things. It's quite sad really. If more teenagers read then maybe the youth of today wouldn't be stereotyped by the media.

, she does read quite a bit (Horrid Henry is a biggie at the moment), but I'm trying to encourage her to try more complex ones as well - so I'm pleased that she's willing to try The Hobbit.

Horrid Henry was a big favourite of Kenny a good while back. The tapes are great to listen to aswell...Miranda Richardson narates them.:lol:

Teenagers read books, but they're in the minority, and whether they do I imagine is hugely subject to whether their parents read.

That's were I am different then. Neither of my parents read, at all. It's usually me that's encouraging them to read something. ): Like I said below I've read a lot from a young age.. I must've just been drawn to reading by fate! :D

That's were I am different then. Neither of my parents read, at all. It's usually me that's encouraging them to read something. ): Like I said below I've read a lot from a young age.. I must've just been drawn to reading by fate! :D

Maybe it skipped a generation :lol:

Maybe it skipped a generation :D

You joke about this, but you know, that's exactly what happened with me! My granddad was the only one to read, no one else in my family reads, none of my parents/step parents or siblings. It's a running joke in my family that he and I were spitting images of each other, with regards to glasses, reading, likes etc, it's a really weird thing :lol:

It was the Enid Blyton books that really drew me into reading as a kid, I would sit and read for hours, I'm hoping to re-buy some of them as I don't have any anymore, but was sad to find out that they've changed a lot of the stories to make them politically correct which is a little sad. Yes I admit even I found "Fannie" a funny name as a kid, but to change it to Frannie is madness!

Ohh I forgot about that! Is Dick Richard now? :D

Thats stupid though. Its a book, and if someone is too immature to read a book with kids called Fannie or Dick, then they're obviously not old enough to handle Blyton reading material.

I want a pile of books from my early teen years. Might buy them off amazon.

I want:

The Castle In The Attic - Elizabeth Winthrop

The Battle For The Castle - E. Winthrop

Del Del - Victor Kelleher

Catchman - Chris Wooding

The Shell House - Linda Newbery

The Damage Done - L. Newbery

Oh that's just stupid! Have they changed other stuff as well? In the plots?

I'm grateful I kept my old copies somewhere... At least I think I have ;)

Well in the Faraway tree story, there's a land where a lady spanked them, that's now been changed to her shouting. I'm sure there are more, I read about them on her wiki page, and on the page to the faraway tree series page. I think it's really sad that they've changed them though, I wonder if I'll be able to get a hold of the older editions that haven't been changed.

Well in the Faraway tree story, there's a land where a lady spanked them, that's now been changed to her shouting. I'm sure there are more, I read about them on her wiki page, and on the page to the faraway tree series page. I think it's really sad that they've changed them though, I wonder if I'll be able to get a hold of the older editions that haven't been changed.

In second hand bookshops probably...

my nephew started reading at ten he is now 15 and still reads. My Niece who is 14 going on 30 says books are un cool and boring. As with my parents i joined my Nephew in the Library and would always buy him story books rather than toys and he loves them.

My dad says my nephew will never get a job where he gets his hands dirty, he will find an office job where he can sit and read books. Even now when I visit he always has his head in his book.

I introduced my 68 year old dad to reading books as he never read books until then, now we visit charity shops together. At last MY dad and I can bond by doing something together after all those years.;)

I think that with books such as the Twilight series and the Harry Potter series and even the Lord of the Rings trilogy, teenagers might watch these movies and be even more eager to get their hands on the books (as I see--and have seen--a good deal of young fans at the premiere of every one of these films). But a little encouragement can never be a bad thing.

My parents read to me since I was a baby, and everyone in my family picked out the habit of reading to me. It got to the point where I'd ask for a book to be read to me over and over again so that I could memorize it (then I would narrate it to them ;)). As I grew up, I cherished books, and to this day they're my greatest passion.

Likewise, when my youngest cousin was born, his mom and dad started reading to him right away, and though he's only two and a half he loves to be read to while he sits nearby and looks at the pictures in a book.

I think that it's all about finding books for teens that are of genres and story-lines that interest them. But I do think that books are making a come-back in the lives of a good deal of teenagers.

I think girl teens read more than boys.

Oioi, no way in my case at all! I read the first HP when I was 7 years old, and haven't looked back since. I can't be seen without a book! ;)