Looking for French Authors

petit_canard25

The Water of the Hills by Marcel Pagnol which is divided into two novels Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring (in French L'Eau des collines (Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources).

These books have the impact of Sophoclean tragedy: they are some of the greatest stories in any language.

The Water of the Hills by Marcel Pagnol which is divided into two novels Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring (in French L'Eau des collines (Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources).

These books have the impact of Sophoclean tragedy: they are some of the greatest stories in any language.

this one sounds really good

Did you read Les Miserables?

this one sounds really good

Did you read Les Miserables?

Yes, many years ago!

Hugo has a political purpose in his story, of course, but one of the more interesting themes is that of obsession. The detective's suicide, the logical result of a life of contradictions, reminds me of the character Naphta in Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain.

• 2 weeks later...
If you like mystery novels or psychological novels I highly recommend anything by George Simenon. He's one of my top five favorite authors. His books are short intense. I always get lost in Simenon;s books from beginning to end.

If I remember correctly, Georges Simenon cranked out a book in 4 to 6 weeks, so that he would have the rest of the year free for "adventures in society." :roll:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...