Looking for French Authors

petit_canard25

Oh, gosh, I know the feeling. Unfortunately I'm really out of touch with French authors, I have no idea on who's good and who's not of late. It's been a while and I haven't really shopped for books there lately. Sorry. I'll let you know if anything pops into my head (read: if I manage to get any recommendations from my friends). In the mean time, maybe Chimera can mention someone? I'd like to know too!

*laughs* I'm glad I'm not the only one! As least I can say it's because I don't live there anymore. What's your excuse? *hides from Chimera* No, seriously, there's just so much more books published in English, and I've also noticed that since I've started to chat about books with non-French-speakers, I've also wanted to read the book in English. I'm horrible at translating, (which is why I speak sometimes three languages in one sentence, I think four is my record, though, and all purely accidental.) so it's easier to read the book and discuss it in the same language. And usually that's English.

I might have to go and get the latest French Elle for the book recommendations! *shocked face* That'd be a first.

*laughs* I'm glad I'm not the only one! As least I can say it's because I don't live there anymore. What's your excuse? *hides from Chimera*

*piles up her collection of french classics as munitions* Excuse? Who needs an excuse? :lol: Other than having had enough of forced readings in school and looked for something completely different... Oh and lately getting all my recomendations here on BCF of course *laughs*

But I really should get back into it now.

• 10 months later...

I have just read the thread related to The boy in striped pyjama.

It reminds me of a very good book from a french-american author now translated in english. The book, released in 2007, is called The kindly ones from Jonathan Littell. These are the memoirs of an ancient SS who met a lot of famous people and was deeply involved in the process of extermination.

It's a exceptionnal book which goes very far on theme of guiltiness and, for once, the decomplexed nazi point of view (instead of a traditional victim one) is transgressive if disturbing. This is still having a big success in France. I personnally think it is deserved.

Here are the first lines : "O human brothers let me tell you how it started"

• 2 weeks later...

Albert Camus is an interesting author. Very political. Always involved in questionning radicalism in all its displays. From what is translated into english i would recommand The just which is a short play about russian revolutionaries who are ploting a coup against a duke. Attending to kill him, they all think of the consequences of this bombing (especially its collateral damage side and the eventuality that some 'innocent' people would also be killed during the attack).

Right now, in France, there is some kind of resurrection of his work as president Sarkozy is intending to honour his memory by removing his grave in order to put it in the parisian pantheon.