20 Books Everyone Should Read!

Nollaig

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

john marsden series tommorrow when the war begins(young adult)

mother brett mcbean

midnightcat bryce courtney

child 44 tom smith

kana and abel jeffery archer

good boooks

• 2 weeks later...
Twilight series - Stephanie Meyer

Why on Earth should people read this?? Okay, yes, I haven't read it myself, so maybe I can't trash it (no wait, it's Twilight, so yes I can!) but from what I've gathered there's absolutely nothing to gain from those books!

Please, prove me wrong.

*shielding ii from the Twilight fans* Runnnn, ii!! Save yourself!!

Thank you, but I'll be fine. I can take care of myself.

*in a smug voice* I know crazy.

*laughs*

Why on Earth should people read this?? Okay, yes, I haven't read it myself, so maybe I can't trash it (no wait, it's Twilight, so yes I can!) but from what I've gathered there's absolutely nothing to gain from those books!

Please, prove me wrong.

Well, from my experience reading Dan Brown, perhaps you should read it so you can actually honestly comment that it's the most risible dross you've ever had the misfortune to suffer through. I've no idea whether that's true for Twilight, but I can assure you that's the only reason one should read Dan Brown and perhaps that's also true of Ms Meyer's oeuvre.

The Twilight books, are really good and it gives you a chance to feel like your living in a different world of things that you know will never be true.

I really enjoyed the books and, of course there will be some people who hate them, its everybodys opinions.

But I would say dont knock it til you've tried it. :D

I must admit that I enjoyed reading the Twilight Series, however when I tried to read them for a second time they really didn't hold my attention. I found myself skimming through most of them :D

When compared to the Harry Potter books for instance, they just seem rushed and not very thorough. I've read the HP books so many times I've lost count and they always keep me entertained. :D

But I think everyone should give them a go! You'll either love them and be glad to have found them, or you'll hate them which will only make you appreciate the good books you read that little bit more.

I must admit that I enjoyed reading the Twilight Series, however when I tried to read them for a second time they really didn't hold my attention. I found myself skimming through most of them :D

When compared to the Harry Potter books for instance, they just seem rushed and not very thorough. I've read the HP books so many times I've lost count and they always keep me entertained. :lol:

But I think everyone should give them a go! You'll either love them and be glad to have found them, or you'll hate them which will only make you appreciate the good books you read that little bit more.

See I found the harry potter books to be hard to read.

They didnt capture my attention at all. it probably doesnt help that I have seen the films.

I would like to try and read them all, but the first one I found seemed to be written for younger people.:D

I would like to try and read them all, but the first one I found seemed to be written for younger people.:D

Yeah, I would say the first 3 books are aimed at a younger audience and probably the ones I've read the least, but Books 4-7 are fantastic and the story really takes off! Especially Goblet of Fire (I think that's probably my favourite) :lol:

The movies really don't do the books justice.....I suppose it's usually the case with books being adapted for movies :D They miss too much out and overlook the smaller storylines which make a book great!

Edited by Nicola

Yeah, I would say the first 3 books are aimed at a younger audience and probably the onces I've read the least, but Books 4-7 are fantastic and the story really takes off! Especially Goblet of Fire (I think that's probably my favourite) :lol:

The movies really don't do the books justice.....I suppose it's usually the case with books being adapted for movies :D They miss too much out and overlook the smaller storylines which make a book great!

Yea, I might possibly miss out the first 3 then, and go straight to the goblet of fire, or just force myself to read them :D

One way or another I will read them... eventually :lol:

See I found the harry potter books to be hard to read.

They didnt capture my attention at all. it probably doesnt help that I have seen the films.

I would like to try and read them all, but the first one I found seemed to be written for younger people.

While GOF is also my favourite, I'd say the first books rather than the last are the best books - they went utterly downhill from "The Order of the Phoenix" onwards, I thought, becoming increasingly repetitive, silly and sickly. The first four, on the other hand, are the stuff of brilliance.

Like you, I shunned HP for years, thinking "eeew they're for kids" - then one day, finding myself stuck at home with a broken foot and nothing else in the house I hadn't read, I finally accepted the volumes 1-4 from my sister. I read 1-3 in a day and 4 the day after, loving every single magic-filled page.

Yes, they're for younger readers but why does it matter? It seems to me that many books for young readers are written to a higher standard than books for adults these days,* because kids are less likely to put up with badly written drivel.

*This does not include "Twilight".

Guest velocipede2288

All of the Terry Pratchett Disk World books for humour and fantasy.

Lord of the rings for adventure and fantasy.

All of Reginald Hill, Dalziel and Pasco for humour and thrillers.

All of Ed McBain for good police work books.

Larry McMurtry's Lonsome Dove four books for a western classic.

All of Charles Dickens for pure joy.

Sorry, couldn't pick just ten.

Please, prove me wrong.

I have read the Twilight series. I liked the first two bokos but not the last two. I found the saga entertaining but in no way a 'must read'

However, if people like it then that is up to them.

You should read it before you bash it though. It is rather annoying when people base their opinions on nothing.

You should read it before you bash it though. It is rather annoying when people base their opinions on nothing.

I know, and usually I do make sure I have the information I need to form an opinion. In the case of Twilight, however, I believe I've heard enough of people's experiences, of what the book is like writing-vise and so on, that I can form an educated guess.

Also note, that I was not questioning people's enjoyment of it, but the gains from reading that book. If someone's telling me that I 'must' read a book, I'd expect that book to have something substantial to give me. Do you see what I mean?

All of the Terry Pratchett Disk World books for humour and fantasy.

Lord of the rings for adventure and fantasy.

All of Reginald Hill, Dalziel and Pasco for humour and thrillers.

All of Ed McBain for good police work books.

Larry McMurtry's Lonsome Dove four books for a western classic.

All of Charles Dickens for pure joy.

Sorry, couldn't pick just ten.

I wonder how long it would take to read your way through the complete works of Dickens? It would be well worth it though.

I love Pratchett .. perfect escapism.

I wonder how long it would take to read your way through the complete works of Dickens? It would be well worth it though.

I love Pratchett .. perfect escapism.

I have his whole collected works on my reading list :lol:

I am chipping away at his novels one every couple of books I read :(

He is a fantastic and engaging writer.

Guest velocipede2288

A great reading list can be found in "The BBC's The Big Read, Book of Books." and an old one if you can find it, Arnold Bennett's "Literary Tastes." I have tried to work my way through all of the recommended books and collect them for my library.

It gives tips on how to appreciate the classics, and how much to spend of your weekly earnings to build a good but modest library.

I have his whole collected works on my reading list :blush:I am chipping away at his novels one every couple of books I read :friends0: He is a fantastic and engaging writer.

I haven't put all Dickens's books down to my TBR list, but I certainly wish to read all of his novels at some point, too :D