20 Books Everyone Should Read!

Nollaig

Noughts and Crosses - Malorie Blackman - I'm going purely on my own personal experience with this book as I don't actually know anyone who has read this. It had such a huge impact on me and it's a firm favourite. It's not easy to read as it deals with difficult issues but the story between the two main characters is beautiful so it almost 'balances' out. This book inspired me to write and I really can't recommened it enough.

You've just reminded me about that book, might purchase it on Saturday. Heard good things about it, and have been looking to read it for a while, but it slipped my mind! Thanks. :lol:

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my list........

1. The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett

2. An Instance of the Fingerpost - Iain Pears

3. The Eyre Affair - Jasper FForde

4. Consider Phlebus - Iain M. Banks

5. When the lion Feeds - Wilbur Smith (the book that got me into reading)

I could go on....................

Limiting it to five is almost impossible, but the first five books to leap out at me from my reading are:

The Gilgamesh Epic

The oldest written story that exists, predating even the Bible by about 1000 years. Do people wonder about the meaning of life or their place in the scheme of things? Read about those questions here in their first edition, in what I would call the first existential novel ever written. Camus? A newcomer to the genre. The questions have always existed.

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

A contemporary novel in meta-fictional style that contains the most staggering view of the apocalyptic future that I have ever read, whether in sci-fi or anywhere. The book affected my thinking and emotions for weeks afterward. Truly stunning.

The Catcher in the Rye - John D. Salinger

Very well known, but still a book that can be read at any age for new insights and reactions. It probably should be read about every 10-15 years throughout one's life, as one's literary and life experiences mature and the story of Holden refracts in different colors each time.

Light Years - James Salter

A contemporary novel, in beautifully written prose, about the people who sleekly swim in the modern fast lanes and appear to have it all in their sparkling chrome and glass worlds.

Mrs. Dalloway - Virginia Woolf

Another elegantly written book, in beautiful stream-of-consciousness style, about a magnificent self-actualized woman. It also contains the best story-within-a-story of a devoted loving couple that I have ever read. Admiration and tears might be among your justifiable reactions. Truly a ground-breaking masterpiece.

---

Some of these five books might present certain challenges in reading, but all will extend one's understanding and appreciation of the joys to be found in the realm of literature. The next five, or ten, or fifty recommendations would certainly include the great works of Faulkner, Nabokov, McCarthy, Joyce, Banville, Proust, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Makine and others. But the five given above are highly enjoyable and approachable enough for a start.

And if any wonder what my real first choice was, it was The Bible -- one of the foundations of Western culture and morality that everyone ought to read and be familiar with.

In addition, one really must also experience some of the joys of poetry. Elizabeth Barret Browning's Sonnets From the Portugese would be a "must read." They would have to reach anyone's heart.

So, that's seven. Pick your own five. Happy reading! :D

The Catcher in the Rye - John D. Salinger

Very well known, but still a book that can be read at any age for new insights and reactions. It probably should be read about every 10-15 years throughout one's life, as one's literary and life experiences mature and the story of Holden refracts in different colors each time.

I completely agree. It was the first classic I ever read, just under 3 months ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. :D

I completely agree. It was the first classic I ever read, just under 3 months ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. :D

Yes, me too. I think it is a fascinating book. My children are by now all grown up, so I know I had a different reaction to the book than the many young people the same age as Holden who read it for the first time in school and cheer it on. I cheer for it too, but for a message of love and hope that I see in it toward the end. And for Salinger's skill in writing Holden's character.

Mine are as follows, in no particular order:

1) Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte

2) Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier

3) Keeping Faith, Jodi Picoult

4) The Day of the Jackal, Frederick Forsyth

5) Outlander/Crosstitch, Diana Gabladon

I've chosen these books as they can have a profound effect on the way you think and view things.

Black Like Me - John Howard Griffin

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Mister God This Is Anna - Fynn

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest - Ken Kesey

Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

Morning all! I'm new here, but this seemed a pretty good place to start posting, so here we go.

I chose these because they've all changed the way I think or the way I see things.

1) A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens

2) The Importance of Being Earnest - Oscar Wilde

3) Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

4) Twilight - Stephanie Meyer

5) My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult

• 2 weeks later...

At last I've chosen book 5 - otherwise I'd have posted sooner.

Watership Down - Richard Adams

Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

Animal Farm - George Orwell

The chronicles of Narnia - C S Lewis

The Lord of the flies - William Golding

PS - almost making my list were Catch 22 and Dracula. This was sooo hard.

Ok here goes....in sort of order...

1) His Dark Materials- Phillip Pulman

2) Harry Potter series- JK Rowling

3) Captain Correli's Mandolin- Louis de Burnieres

4) The Time Traveller's Wife- Audrey Niffenegger

5) (oh no only one space for 2 books...err) Chocolat- Joanne Harris

6) would be Birdsong by Sebastian Fawkes, in case you were wondering