The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows

chesilbeach

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

ooh, i'm almost ashamed to say this ... but i didn't like it at all. i read it for my readers group and its not something i would have picked up otherwise.

I found it far too sentimental about the good people of Guernsey, and Juliet made me so angry - i felt that she was living some sort of fairytale. It can't last!!

The only thing i can say in its favour is that its whetted my appetite for learning more about what happened on the island during the occupation - but i think i'll head for the history shelves :)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

ooh, I'm almost ashamed to say this ... but I didn't like it at all. I read it for my readers group and its not something I would have picked up otherwise.

I found it far too sentimental about the good people of Guernsey, and Juliet made me so angry - I felt that she was living some sort of fairytale. It can't last!!

The only thing I can say in its favour is that its whetted my appetite for learning more about what happened on the island during the occupation - but I think I'll head for the history shelves :smile:

I have to say that I agree with you on all of your post, including the end sentence.

I enjoyed this book as I read it but after that I started to read a non fiction book about the war and it really showed up Potato Peel Pie for what it is in my eyes. I really do not like it at all, its okay for a light hearted read in the sunshine on a summers day I suppose (although I won't be reading it again, it might make me sick to my stomach) but if you want real sentiments I'd read something non fiction such as Brothers in War or Dear Joan.

I know a lot of people enjoyed Potato Peel Pie and I'm sorry if people don't agree with my review (I am trying not be too harsh about it as it seems popular here) but I really hate it since I digested its contents.

Hi Danielle and Pontesusie,

All views are welcome here - I loved this book, but I like hearing what other people thought of it, good or bad :) I've read books in the past that people have raved about, and I didn't enjoy them at all. It's good to hear other people's views. Also, you have piqued my interest in Brothers In War and Dear Joan :)

I've just seen on the BBC news website that this is being made into a film, directed by Kenneth Branagh and starring Kate Winslet as Juliet.

I had better move this higher up on my TBR pile - I prefer to read the book before seeing the film.

I have just ordered this book from the library! It came highly recommended to me! Incidentally 84 Charing Cross Road was on t.v. the other day and I have taped it. I think Anthony Hopkins is in it?

Edited by Nicola Booth

Hi Danielle and Pontesusie,

All views are welcome here - I loved this book, but I like hearing what other people thought of it, good or bad :) I've read books in the past that people have raved about, and I didn't enjoy them at all. It's good to hear other people's views. Also, you have piqued my interest in Brothers In War and Dear Joan :)

Sorry I did not see this earlier Ruth. I think if you enjoyed Potato Pie then you will love those other two books. I will send you a PM with the synopsis of both so I'm not intruding on this thread!