The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows

chesilbeach

Title: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Author: Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing

Synopsis from amazon.co.uk:

It's 1946 and author Juliet Ashton can't think what to write next. Out of the blue, she receives a letter from Dawsey Adams of Guernsey - by chance, he's acquired a book that once belonged to her - and, spurred on by their mutual love of reading, they begin a correspondence. When Dawsey reveals that he is a member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, her curiosity is piqued and it's not long before she begins to hear from other members. As letters fly back and forth with stories of life in Guernsey under the German Occupation, Juliet soon realizes that the society is every bit as extraordinary as its name.

Review:

For the most part, this is a light hearted tale, which is warm and humorous throughout, but, due to the nature of the stories told by the society members, there are also some particularly poignant letters, which I have to admit brought a tear to my eye at times. The author has managed to achieve a genuine, unique voice for each of the characters, and as a reader you feel you come to know and love them all. While there are plenty of books set in the Second World War, this is quite unusual in its subject matter, as I don't think I've ever heard of any other novels that use the Guernsey occupation in the plot.

This was one of my favourite books of last year, and probably one of the few books I would re-read. I have recommended it to everyone I know!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the review chesilbeach, it sounds really interesting! I'd like to add this to my TBR but have promised myself I won't put down any new books before TBR has decreased substantially :blush: Maybe later!

Well... I saw this book in the library last week and knowing that it was quite a new book and somebody had recommended it here I just had to borrow it while I had the chance. And I'm so glad I did!

This book was absolutely brilliant! Such a heartwarming story and such interesting characters who have many stories to tell. I usually don't like novels that are in letter form but it didn't bother me with this one. The book made me laught out loud and it also made my eyes a bit watery... Just like a good book should!

Chesilbeach, thanks so much for recommending this book, it's only early days in January but somehow I know that this will make my "best books in 2009" list at the end of the year! :)

Chesilbeach, what were your thoughts on

Dawsey? Did you wish for him to be with Juliet in the end? I fell for him right from the first letter he wrote and I knew and hoped he was the one.

The only thing that disappointed me was

that we didn't learn more about Adelaide Addison. I was expecting to learn how she got to be the way she was and maybe change a little in the course of the novel.

Chesilbeach, what were your thoughts on

Dawsey? Did you wish for him to be with Juliet in the end? I fell for him right from the first letter he wrote and I knew and hoped he was the one.

The only thing that disappointed me was

that we didn't learn more about Adelaide Addison. I was expecting to learn how she got to be the way she was and maybe change a little in the course of the novel.

I'm so glad you liked it Frankie; it's always a pleasure when someone enjoys a book I've recommended!

About

Dawsey? Did you wish for him to be with Juliet in the end?

... Yes, Yes, Yes!

I wasn't too bothered

that we didn't learn more about Adelaide Addison

but due to the circumstances around the author writing the book, I wonder if it was something that was intended to be explained but missed out, or maybe even part of a potential sequel?

• 5 months later...

I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society a few weeks ago, thoroughly enjoyed it too. I'd been stopped about halfway through and almost didn't pick it up again, mostly because I found the first half not only a bit slow, but also my mood simply didn't match it at the time.

Boy am I glad I did pick it up again!

I loved getting to know the characters through letters, it was so well done that it was easy to feel the whole experience, and totally empathize with each and every one of them.

The sense of humor displayed would catch me off guard and I'd have to laugh out loud at some of the passages. Yes, almost cry at some of the fates as well.

Excellent book!

i LOVED this book! i really connected with the characters, i laughed with them and felt their pain when something bad happened. Such a great book!

"She was smiling fixedly in the wrong direction and i loved her instantly"

LOL!! HAHAHA, what a funny image =D

• 5 weeks later...

I read this book a couple of months ago and was enchanted by the story and the warm and friendly characters.

There are some very sad moments in this book but at its core it is a celebration of friendship and reading - both needed to sustain us during hard times.

the-guernsey-literary-and-potato-peel-pie-society.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

It's 1946 and author Juliet Ashton can't think what to write next. Out of the blue, she receives a letter from Dawsey Adams of Guernsey - by chance, he's acquired a book that once belonged to her - and, spurred on by their mutual love of reading, they begin a correspondence. When Dawsey reveals that he is a member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, her curiosity is piqued and it's not long before she begins to hear from other members. As letters fly back and forth with stories of life in Guernsey under the German Occupation, Juliet soon realizes that the society is every bit as extraordinary as its name.

What an extraordinary book. The narrative is all letters. It is through a letter that Juliet, an author struggling to find something to write about after WW2 discovers about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. She receives a letter from Dawsey about a book of hers he has, and from there their correspondence blossoms. Soon there are several members of the Society writing to her and she learns how the group came about and how they have helped each other through the Nazi Occupation of the Island. She is drawn to the place and eventually ends up living there; where she finds her writing mojo, forms lasting bonds and finds peace and love.

I loved this book. Even though it is written in letters it is very easy to read. I liked that it was all written in letters, it gave a more personal feel as people were free to express their feelings to their friends. I found the story to be extraordinary - what a genius idea for keeping sane during a war. I just love the idea that books can bring people together and can form lasting bonds between people.

I loved all the characters. It was a joy to watch Juliet find happiness, she was a lovely person to read about. And the Literary Society were a group of great people. Dawsey is a strong, solid, reliable man, and I fell in love with him. It is interesting that even though we never meet Elizabeth we hear all these wonderful stories bout her and her heroics, how she brought everyone together and helped them out in times of need, and I found myself wanting to get to know her. And when we discovered what happened to her I could have cried.

I was attached to this book and the characters. It wasn't a quick read, but lovely. Well worth reading. I felt emotions along with the characters and didn't want the book to end. One of the best books I've read recently. This is a must read.

10/10

Hmm, I am slowly being inspired to add this book to my wish list with all of these great reviews! :irked:

This book keeps popping up on me ....everywhere I go I see it and it always seems to get rave reviews. Guess I've got another on "Mount TBR." :lol:

Well I really liked it. I've reread it a couple of times!:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Kate, wonderful review. I absolutely loved this book; very much in the vein of 84 Charing Cross Road. So far this year, it has been my most favorite book. Funny, gentle, sad, lovely. It takes place during a time in history of which I was not familiar, so very informative as well.