Lemony Snicket

Kell

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read all 12 of them, and I must admit, pretty good!

I really enjoyed the way he used his words to describe the childrens unfortunes. It's much better than the film!

In the film they put all the books together and mix it all around! So In my opinion the books, as always, beat the film!

Great read though, I'd recommend!:friends0:

Oh, Haven't you read The End?

Yes, the film was almost nothing like the book. However, I didn't like the way he described the children's unfortunes. Especially in the 11th one, how he just kept going on and on about the water cycle or something. That was annoying.

I'd picked up the 2nd in the series for some light, easy reading between the heavy "We Need to Talk about Kevin" and the scary "Ring".. I started to read it, but gave up about 1/4 of the way in. It just felt pointless and a waste of time -- I wasn't getting anything out of it or enjoying it, so I moved straight on to "Ring." :)

• 3 months later...

Did any of you complete the entire 13 books? We actually enjoyed the stories but got side tracked and didnt finish it. We also listened to them on CD. Great voices. I cant remember his name but he was in Home Alone 2 Lost In New York. He was the hotel manager.

I was disappointed when they did the movie and combined most of the movies into one. Sad, sad, sad. This didnt do the books justice.

Hi Katrina,

I have never read them but I am planning to, I liked the film but I would rather read the books.

Tim Curry played the hotel manager in 'Home Alone 2~ Lost in New York', so I imagine the CD would be really good. :D

Tim Curry played the hotel manager in 'Home Alone 2~ Lost in New York', so I imagine the CD would be really good. :D
... O, M, G!

I love Tim Curry's acting and voice (Rocky Horror, Clue, The Man in the Iron Mask - yes I know it was a terrible film but I don't care -, the fabulous Will Shakespeare series...); as it happens, I'm not adverse to the Lemony Snicket books, either.

If I haven't read them all it is mainly an issue of shelfspace: when my cousin (roughly a decade my junior) lent me the first book one time I was staying over at her uncle, she assured me I'd love it, and I did!

I found it refreshing, diverting, and was quite impressed at how much education (particularly about complicated words) the guy had managed to sneak into the book without seeming patronising towards the kiddies. In a few years when I've got a house of my own, more shelves and possibly kiddies to read them to (excuses, excuses) I might invest in a boxset; for the time being... ooooh, Tim Curry CD!

I love the Lemony Snicket books but for some reason I stopped reading them after book 9. Now I've moved and don't have much room I think I might look into getting the CDs as I adore Tim Curry. He was the only reason I managed to sit through the travesty that was The Colour Of Magic and the only reason to watch the tv adaptation of IT :D

My sons' and I read five or six books from the Series of the Unfortunate Events and as I recall, everyone enjoyed them. Not sure why they stopped reading them though. I'm guessing another series took over. I remember my youngest becoming a REDWALL nut at one point.....could be that these books bumped Lemony Snicket's books.

I read all thirteen books as well, and I did enjoy the first half of the series a lot, but felt that the last six or seven books got a bit repetitive, and also predictable. I know the books aren't aimed at my age group, and I can understand why children would love the series, but I don't think there was enough originality by the end. However, as I'd started them, I had to finish the saga just so I knew how it ended!

My two eldest and I have read the first six or so and I have to say that they enjoyed them more than I did. Although they are well written and certainly different from other children books, for me they were slightly too repetitive. However, I did enjoy them enough to probably pick the next one up in the series at some point or another.

• 1 month later...
I read all thirteen books as well, and I did enjoy the first half of the series a lot, but felt that the last six or seven books got a bit repetitive, and also predictable.

Funnily enough... I felt the opposite. I felt that the books worked best in the first half of the series precisely because they were repetitive. There was quite a nice formula (e.g., the kids arrive with a new colourful foster parent; Count Olaf turns up in a ridiculous disguise that the adults seem strangely blind to; and so on). In those books, the fun for me was down to the humour and colourful character descriptions rather than any innovation in the plots, and the "disguise of the week" format was part of the charm.

I don't like those sketch shows where the characters do the same thing every single time in slightly different ways... but... I imagine that people who do like them, probably like them in the same way that I liked the early Snickett books (if that makes any sense at all!).

Once the books moved away from the new location/new foster parent/new disguise for Count Olaf format, I felt they just seemed less tightly-written, less colourful, less memorable. They just went a bit flabby without the tried and tested framework behind them. Sets like the Slippery Slope and characters like the man with a beard but no hair and the woman with hair and no beard, just seemed to lack the fizz and colour of the Miserable Mill or Uncle Monty.

Anyway, I still enjoyed the series right to the end but definitely noted a downwards trend...

• 1 year later...

I read the first 8 and read about 70% of the 9th and I liked them a lot. The thing I like most is the author, he wants to make the reader believe that he doesn't want him to read it but obviously the more people who read the book the more popular his books become.

After seeing the film I have considered getting them, but haven't as of yet :wink:

I read nine and a half and I liked them a lot so I think it would be a wise decision to read them. :wink:

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would def recommend buying the books!!!! I LOVED them. I read them when I was younger and I remember being drawn to the book by the author's writing style. I read the back of book and first few pages and was intrigued. I'm glad I bought it in the end... Watched the films as well but preferred books :)