For me

"On the Road"

and

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

I honestly expected to love both these books from page 1 but was totally underwhelmed.

Does anyone else have a total let down? Not so much an awful read as a book you'd looked forward to reading for ages and then wondered what all the fuss was about?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Da Vinci Code

WIth you there on The Davinci Code...

Da Vinci Code also overrated - Angels And Demons is the way to go, people.

Was it that bad? I watched the film the other day and quite enjoyed it. Is this a case of the screenwriter's mind being more interesting than the author's then?

To be totally honest Charm, its a case of it being SO hyped that it wasn't actually appreciated at all. Its a damn good read, but the excessive hype spoiled that. I read it when no one had heard of either book, and I thought they were both superb, if a little samey.

Angels And Demons is better, as I keep saying, because its religion versus science as opposed to just religious controversy.

Is Angels and Demons a sequel to Da Vinci Code? Or is it a stand alone book? I hate reading books in the wrong order :D

I think Angels and Demons comes before The Da Vinci Code (they certainly reference the former in the latter, anyway).

Ah thats a bit unfair.

Baed on what I've read of his work, I don't think so!

Look at Stephanie Meyer. How did she even get published? (Tee Hee Hee) At least Dan had the good graces to write about something good.

Never read any of her books so I can't comment!

Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell.

*Slaps DPrice*

For shame sir, for shame!

Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell.

I'm reading that right now and I'm actually quite enjoying it!

For me, the most overrated books I've encountered have been Atonement by Ian McEwan and The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I couldn't get through Atonement because it was way too predictable, and although I found The Da Vinci Code to be entertaining, it was way over-hyped for what it was. And yes, Dan Brown isn't the most talented writer.