• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Life of Pi - althought most people who read it thought it was brilliant.

Atonement was a little slow to start off with and I had to make myself finish it and I didn't think that Catcher in the Rye was brilliant. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it when it was written?!

The Twilight Saga - they're decidedly average. In particular, the most recent one isn't up to par. The way people rave about them, I expected a bit more. Don't get me wrong, they're fun enough to read, but they're not great.

Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles - I trawled through the first 5 books in the series and couldn't bring myself to continue with the series. She has some really great story ideas, but I can't stand her writing style. As a fan of vampire books, I was recommended this series time and time again by people who raved about them. To say I was underwhelmed is a major over-statement!

I have not read it, but here in the U.S. Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold was very popular for a long, long time. Did anyone here who read it think it was overrated?

I never managed to finish that book because the writing style didn't agree with me so I'm tempted to say yes. But then, I can't make a fair judgement.

I don't think The Lovely Bones is over-rated... it's a good read, which is what it was sold to me as. If it had been sold to me as the best book of the year then I would have thought it over-rated.

x

I never managed to finish that book because the writing style didn't agree with me so I'm tempted to say yes. But then, I can't make a fair judgement.

I hated it - the writing and the story were both terrible on every level. On of the most highly over-rated books of the last 20 years IMO!

I hated it - the writing and the story were both terrible on every level. On of the most highly over-rated books of the last 20 years IMO!

Oh so maybe I was right in giving up on it! I liked the sound of one of her other books but decided against it because of her writing style in that one. I assumed they'd be the same.

I persevered to the very end in the hopes that it would improve, but it never did. I will never read anything by Alice Sebold ever again - life's too short! :)

I also disliked it immensely! I had 'Lucky' on my to read pile and I took it straight to a charity shop after finishing The Lovely Bones! A good idea, badly written and with (if memory serves) a poor ending.

A VERY poor ending if my memory serves!

A Separate Peace by John Knowles (when it was was over I said. "so what?")

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (tries too hard to be shocking, but just succeeds in being offensive)

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (B-O-R-I-N-G)

Love Story by Erich Segal (I gag when I think of it)

Edited by Wilde Lily

• 1 month later...
I got bored with the Harry Potter series. I enjoyed the first couple and then gave up on the third I think (although I have been told that the third is the 'best').

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about Harry Potter. In my case, though, I think I jumped on the bandwagon a bit late and then got caught up in the movie hype, so perhaps I ruined the series for myself... *shrugs*

Eco's "The Name of the Rose". Twenty-line sentences the middle ten of which are in Latin (with no ******** footnotes) aren't literary: they're pretentious, and that's all there is to it. Which is a shame, as the story is actually quite good - only known case of a movie (Sean Connery, Christian Slater) being better than its book.

I agree about The Name of the Rose being overrated (and the filmk being better), but I still rather enjoyed it. I found that because the Latin sections were all in context, I understood the gist of what was being said and so it didn't detract from the story, for me, that there were no footnotes.

I tried to read 'The Shadow of the Wind' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon but gave up half way through as I was just bored!

Anybody else read this?