Stephen King - Cell

Michelle

I was quite disappointed with the ending too - does anybody else think there should be a sequel?

I thought about that, would be interesting..

Yeah i really would like to see a sequel actually, which is a tribute to King and the novel though he doesn't do sequels as such so i'm sure we won't get one for Cell, kinda annoying though >:l

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

The basis of King's latest offering is The Pulse - a signal sent through cell phones, that drives the listener insane. What this leads to is most of the world's population becoming 'zombie-like'.. in my eyes, it was just a different way to resurrect an old story line.

King throws you straight into the story, and the beginning of the book is full of action. The rest of the book certainly continues to be a page turner.. it's an easy read.

But.. that's the problem.. that's not what I expect from King. There's no real depth in the characters, and I don't find myself particularly concerned about what's going to happen to them. There's no build up of tension, no real fear.

Don't get me wrong.. it's a good enough read, and I'm sure many people will like it. However, it's just not classic "King".

@ The Boss!, I actually found your review to be absolutely & flawlessly spot-on accurate... At least in my opinions of the book Cell. It wasn't classic horror to come from him, it really felt like a story you would get from somebody else. I'm not sure who, maybe James Herbert or Bentley Little. Just didn't feel much like King's style at all but then again, i've read A LOT of King novels and that wasn't the first to feel unusually different or uncommon to the rest of his books. I got the same feeling with The TommyKnockers & The Running Man.. Just felt like I was reading another authors story the whole way through. But you're right, it wasn't bad either.