Stephen King - Cell

Michelle

The basis of King's latest offering is The Pulse - a signal sent through cell phones, that drives the listener insane. What this leads to is most of the world's population becoming 'zombie-like'.. in my eyes, it was just a different way to resurrect an old story line.

King throws you straight into the story, and the beginning of the book is full of action. The rest of the book certainly continues to be a page turner.. it's an easy read.

But.. that's the problem.. that's not what I expect from King. There's no real depth in the characters, and I don't find myself particularly concerned about what's going to happen to them. There's no build up of tension, no real fear.

Don't get me wrong.. it's a good enough read, and I'm sure many people will like it. However, it's just not classic "King".

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I read it when it was first released and quite enjoyed it. I certainly thought it was almost a return to form for Stephen King. I feel that sometimes he's too gratuitous for his own good and that he wallows too much, basking in his own glory. I have really loved some of his other stuff, mind, like 'It', 'The Stand' and particularly 'The Talisman' which he co-authored with Peter Straub. Excellent stuff.:D

I enjoyed this, but remember being disappointed by the ending. (Not that I can actually remember the ending, just that I was let down by it. I'm sure my memory's going...)

Ah, that was it - I hate cliffhanger/open endings! I think they're just lazy. If the author's taken the trouble to get you involved with these characters and caught up in their stories, the least they can do is tell you what happens to them in the end! If they don't, I always feel cheated. I don't think King is often guilty of this, though, he usually sees a story through properly.

I must admit that I've never read a King book,although I would like to sample his work. Can anyone recommend a good one to start with?

If you just want to sample his writing then I'd go for Different Seasons, a collection of four short stories, three of which were adapted for film. They're not horror stories, so it might be a good first choice.

If you just want to sample his writing then I'd go for Different Seasons, a collection of four short stories, three of which were adapted for film. They're not horror stories, so it might be a good first choice.

Thank you,I'l give this one a go.:D

I found it a really quick and flowing read. I love the beginning how it all starts, it's a great image, i can still remember the exact scene now and i've only read it once. The ending was a little disappointing imo but i did enjoy the overall vibe of the book. I think it's just a good King novel though, definitely not one of his best.

Ooer, if you've a thing for craziness then this would be brilliant for you. :roll:

And, Rawr, I agree with the start of the book.. certainly kicks off the action and I'm sure I'll remember the exact scene as well. :)

I found it a really quick and flowing read. I love the beginning how it all starts, it's a great image, i can still remember the exact scene now and i've only read it once. The ending was a little disappointing imo but i did enjoy the overall vibe of the book. I think it's just a good King novel though, definitely not one of his best.

:)

That first scene is great, I think I even had to read it aloud to share with lovely Mr Nook!