Richard Mason - The Lighted Rooms - 6.5/10

Jodi Picoult - Songs of The Humpback Whale - 8/10

Jojo Moyes - The Peacock Emporium - 8/10

Tess Gerritsen - Under The Knife - 7/10

Eliza Graham - Restitution - 8/10

Edited by madcow
finally another update!

• 1 month later...

Can't believe I've only read 1 book so far this year :D Dawn French's bbok was really good and I enjoyed it but I just couldn't motivate myself to read for weeks! Glad I've finished it and I'm determined to carry on reading for at least an hour a day...she says with fingers crossed :irked:

• 1 month later...

The Murder Book was a great read, it had me hooked from the beginning, and it has kick started my reading mojo :blush: hopefully I will now be able to keep it going.

I am now reading That Summer Affair by Sarah Challis.

When schoolgirl Jodie Foot goes missing from a sleepy Dorset village, the shockwaves that reverberate through her community are as far-reaching as they are devastating.

When Rachel Turner finds out her husband has lied about his whereabouts that evening, she is shattered. All she's ever wanted is a secure family life, an now it's about to be torn apart. Henry Streeter, Rachel's neighbour, is overwhelmed by old feelings of misery and loneliness as he struggles to stifle painful memories of his own childhood. And Juliet Fairweather arriving in the village on the evening of the disappearance, is involved in an unexpected personal drama, while her mother, Bobbie, so often a bystander, is drawn inexorably into other people's lives.

For everyone involved, one ordinary summer's day will bring extraordinary consequences and the need to examine their own sense of loss and longing...

I finished Sarah Challis's that Summer Affair last night and although an enjoyable, easy read it was not as good as Footprints In The Sand.

Next up is The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton.

Before her eyes the garden changed. Weeds and brambles, decades in the growing, receded. Leaves lifted from the ground, revealing paths and flowerbeds and a garden seat. Light was permitted entry once more...

1913 - On the eve of the First World War a little girl is found abandoned after a gruelling ocean voyage from England to Australia. All she can remember of the journey is that a mysterious woman she calls the Authoress had promised to look after her. But the Authoress has vanished without a trace.

1975 - Now an old lady, Nell travels to England to discover the truth about her parentage. Her quest leads her to Cornwall, and to a beautiful estate called Blackhurst manor, which had been owned by the Mountrachet family. What has prompted Nell's journey after all these years?

2005 - On Nell's death her granddaughter, Cassandra, comes into a surprise inheritance. Cliff Cottage, in the grounds of Blackhurst manor, is notorious amongst the locals for the secrets it holds - secrets about the doomed Mountrachet family. But it is at Cliff Cottage, abandoned for years, and in its forgotten garden, that Cassandra will uncover the truth about the family and why the young Nell was abandoned all those decades before.

• 2 weeks later...

The Forgotten Garden was an easy enjoyable read. Very similar vein to The House At Riverton flicking between the early 1900's, 1975 and 2005, the story flowed easily.

Next up The Story Of Forgetting by Stefan Merrill Block.

Fifteeen year old Seth Waller is devastated when his mother is diagnosed with a rare, early-onset form of Alzheimer's. When he was growing up, his mother always brushed aside questions about her past and family, and Seth realises that soon he will lose his chance to find out any more. He decides to uncover the truth about her life, their family history and the condition, and what he discovers is more surprising than he ever could have imagined...

I finished The Story Of Forgetting this morning, it's not my usual sort of read but the blurb intrigued me. I started off enjoying the book then I have to admit I struggled with the middle bit but then really enjoyed the last part of the book so on the whole it was good.

Not sure what to read next...off to browse Mt TBR....

Starting Turning For Home by Sarah Challis today.

A cantankerous, elegant old woman sits in her beautiful Somerset house while her family secretly plots to evict her. In the garden is her last royal retainer, out to grass, her one remaining racehorse, prematurely retired, and in London the man she probably should have married - still her dearest friend.

Into this scene comes Maeve Delaney. Sole applicant for the job of companion to Lady Pamela, streetwise and outrageous, Maeve bursts into the old house like a firework. As open warfare settles into a wary truce between the two women, Maeve sets her heart on bringing the great racehorse, Irish Dancer, out of retirement, and everything changes...

Really enjoyed Turning For Home, which I finished this morning, a lovely light easy read with characters I liked. The authors description of the people and places made it easy to picture the scenes and the added horse racing details brought the story to life (well for me it did) I ended up in tears at one point but then again I'm a sentimental old fool :)

Next up is Bones by Jonathan Kellerman

A womans's body is found in marshland outside LA, By the next morning the police have discovered the decaying corpses of three more women. The victims were all prostitutes - except for the most recent. A pianist and a tutor to a musical prodigy, Selena Bass seems out of place in the marsh's grim tableau.

Psychologist Alex Delaware assists homicide detective Milo Sturgis with the case. At first it seems a devilish seriel killer is prowling LA's streets, but when a new murder deviates from the pattern, Alex and Milo must consider an even more sinister mind at work...There are no eay answers, for the darkest of drives and desires will fuel the most devious of foes...

Next up is Bones by Jonathan Kellerman

A womans's body is found in marshland outside LA, By the next morning the police have discovered the decaying corpses of three more women. The victims were all prostitutes - except for the most recent. A pianist and a tutor to a musical prodigy, Selena Bass seems out of place in the marsh's grim tableau.

Psychologist Alex Delaware assists homicide detective Milo Sturgis with the case. At first it seems a devilish seriel killer is prowling LA's streets, but when a new murder deviates from the pattern, Alex and Milo must consider an even more sinister mind at work...There are no eay answers, for the darkest of drives and desires will fuel the most devious of foes...

I love Alex and Milo, I`ll have to pick this one up. I`ll look forward to hearing what you think. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Bones Last night, another good read from Jonathan Kellerman. Although the book was good I thought The Murder Book was better. I'm hoping to read more of his books soon, I might even try and read the Alex/Milo books in order, but not before reducing Mt TBR first!

Next up is Play Dead by Richard Montanari.

Philadelphia homicide detectives Kevin Byrne and Jessica Balzano's first assignment from the Cold Case files is the brutal murder of a young runaway. The lifeless body of Caitlin O'Riordan was found carefully posed in a glass display case in the desolate Philadelphia Badlands but, as Byrne and Balzano rapidly discover, she was just the first pawn in the killer's twisted game.

A mysterious phone call leads them on a scavenger hunt for another victim who has been dismembered, her body parts left in three boxes in the basement of a deserted house. More clues lead to other victims and, as the body count rises, Byrne and Balzano come to realise that the homicidal mastermind plans to complete seven depraved tricks in his dark and dangerous magic act.

With Balzano increasingly obsessed by a case that haunts her, and Byrne struggling with a loss of his own, the stakes are mounting. But this is one game they can't afford to lose...

• 1 month later...

Can't believe it's been nearly two months since I started Play Dead, my mojo has certainly abandoned me big style. Play Dead was still a good read, I just wished I could have finished it weeks ago. Off to search Mt TBR for inspiration ....

After careful consideration, well closed my eyes and pick one, I'm going to read The Violet Hour again by Richard Montanari.

Johnny Angel is found brutally murdered with a dead prostitute in his bed and a needle full of heroin in his arm. It's all the more shocking because he's a priest. But when Dr Bennett Marc Crane, a prestigious plastic surgeon, is the next victim of a vicious attack of the same manner, it becomes clear that there is a seriel killer on the loose.

And as this homicideal maniac exacts his vengeance upon more innocent victims, evidence of another long-buried crime is uncovered. One that starts with a Halloween celebration at an exclusive college party twenty years ago and ends with a murderous plan for delayed revenge.

For Nicky Stella, a hungry journalist, this is just the sort of sordid story that could land him a cover article. But when he digs a bit too deep, the killer's attention turns towards Nicky and he must find the killer before he becomes the next victim...

Lets hope it doesn't take me as long to read this!!!!

Edited by madcow
added a bit

I finshed The Violet Hour this evening, dead chuffed with myself as it only took 6 days :D another enjoyable read from Mr Montanari, I thought I had it sussed 3/4 way through but was proved wrong to a certain degree! The story moved along at a good pace and kept me wanting to read more and more.

Next up is The Lighted Rooms by Richard Mason

Eloise McAllister's life is perfectly under control. Successful, assertive and resolutely private, she prides herself on playing for high stakes. But she goes too far when she gambles her company's fortunes on a tip from an old lover.

She is taking her 80 year old mother Joan to South Africa - a long promised trip to offset the unspoken guilt that crackles between them. For Joan cannot live alone for ever and Eloise knows she does not have the patience to care for her.

Joan's mind has been playing extraordinary tricks on her for some time. In the dust and heat of Africa, long-interred family stories begin to stir and become startlingly real. Soon a sinister figure from her past - someone she thought she had vanquished long ago - threatens to overwhelm her...

What have been your favourites so far this year? :lol:

No favourites as such, I've enjoyed reading all 9 of them Paula, just wish it could have been more but the mojo deserted me :lol: