Debbie Macomber

K1nS

I love this author, although I haven't read many of her books :D I have read The Shop on Blossom Street and A Good Yarn from the Blossom Street series and theres still Back on Blossom Street and Twenty Wishes... she also has a new book coming out in May this year which is Summer on Blossom Street. I loved reading the first two books... I think I might invest in getting the rest asap :D

I wouldn't say shes similar to any others authors (not that I have read anyway) im so sorry I can't help you out much hun :D

The story is about a woman who has had a terrible life, shes had cancer a few times and started when she was 16 so shes not been able to do much. The first book is mainly about her and how she gets on with her life. She opens a knitting store as its always been her passion and her dad past away a while back, she felt it was because of the stress due to her illness. So she opened the store as a thank you so to speak to show she is getting on with her life. She mets a few people while having her store open and the book is about their life problems too, it like swaps on each chapter to a different person.

• 3 weeks later...
I finished the first in the Blossom Street series this morning and really enjoyed it so I will be picking up the second one on my next trip to my local library.

Thanks for the recommendation K1nS!

No problem Karen, im glad you have enjoyed the first book, they get better with every book in my oppinion. I am currently reading 'twenty wishes' which is the 4th book and I am enjoying it alot.

Thursdays at 8 is a fantastic book. Tackles real issues and is gripping from the start. The characters a re likeable and you have real empathy for them. It has a mix of humour and sadness and its a true test of friendship. This book is a must read!

I haven't read 'Thursdays at eight' yet but I was looking on her website and really liked the look of it, I think this will be on my reading list very soon

I'm looking forward to reading the 2nd one (via fellow bookcrosser) and then your bookring for the 3rd one....and now I know where to borrow the 4th one from ;) Will it in time be another bookring....lol. :D

Just had a look at the website....it is lovely. I love the covers of her books too, they would really attract me to them if I saw them in a bookshop I reckon.:D

http://www.debbiemacomber.com/index.cfm

Edited by Inver

I'm looking forward to reading the 2nd one (via fellow bookcrosser) and then your bookring for the 3rd one....and now I know where to borrow the 4th one from ;) Will it in time be another bookring....lol. :D

Just had a look at the website....it is lovely. I love the covers of her books too, they would really attract me to them if I saw them in a bookshop I reckon.:D

http://www.debbiemacomber.com/index.cfm

Yeah I love her website too, its very attractive ;) I just can't wait for her 5th book to come out in May haha!

Hiya all I have just finished reading this book- it is the 4th book in Debbie's Blossom street series. I must say this was 10/10 for me. In the past 3 blossom street books, Debbie writes each chapter to be a different person, whereas in this book, it was mainly about just one person.

The Blurb:

'Bookshop owner Anne Marie Roche wants to find happiness again. Her life hasn't turned out as she expected and, recently widowed, she's never felt so alone.

On Valentine's day, Anne Marie and several other widows get together to celebrate...what? Hope, possibility, the future. They each begin a list of twenty wishes, things they have always wanted to do but never did.

As Anne Marie works her way through her wishes, she learns that dreams can come true - but not necessarily in the way you expect.'

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

old-boyfriends.jpg

Waterstones Synopsis:

"She didn't understand how she could lie beside him in bed night after night and dream about another man..."When Susannah Nelson turned eighteen, her parents sent her to school abroad. She said goodbye to her boyfriend, Jake - and never saw him again.Years later, Susannah finds herself regretting the paths not taken. Returning to her parents' house and her girlhood friends, she also returns to the past - and discovers that things are not always as they once seemed...

This book is another in the Blossom Street series. In this book we are introduced to Susannah of Susannah's Garden. The book is set before she buys the shop on Blossom Street. Her mission is to get her mother into assisted living accommodation and to go through the house of her parents. She is suffering from depression, which is leading her to regret things that happened in her life, such as losing the love of her life, Jake.

As ever, I enjoyed this book, but I do not think it is Macomber's best, nor do I think it is the best in the Blossom Street series. I think Macomber deals with some hard issues, such as depression and the need to live in a nursing home, as well as dealing with past regrets and I think the storyline was good. However, there towards the end there was a twist I didn't see coming, and to be honest, I didn't believe. And that spoilt the story for me. The return of someone from her past was not believable at all. But because this occurred close to the end of the book I don't think it ruined the book completely.

Macomber is very good at writing characters who I like and empathise with. I like Susannah. I didn't always agree with her decisions but I understood where she came from and I felt for her with all the decisions she had to make. I think her mother was written well too - an elderly lady who was starting to suffer from memory loss. I think she sensitive and realistic. My favourite character however was Caroline - Susannah's old school friend. She was focused and loyal and believable.

This is chick-lit, and for the most part a good read. It was easy to read and easy to get into, I was just disappointed with the ending.

7/10

204 Rosewood Lane

204-rosewood-lane.jpg

Waterstone's Synopsis:

Welcome to Cedar Cove - a small town with a big heart! Grace Sherman's life was happy and untroubled - until her husband just disappeared. She's spent the last six months desperately searching for an answer. What could be so awful that a devoted husband and father would go without a note or a warning?But life can - and does - go on. Cedar Cove is abuzz with talk of weddings and babies. Justine - the only daughter of Grace's best friend, Judge OliviaLockhart - recently eloped and is blissfully happy. Grace's daughter, Kelly, just had a baby. And it looks like her older daughter, Maryellen, is seeing someone new, someone she's keeping a secret...Then there's Jack, who's been pursuing a romance with Olivia, and Zach and Rosemary Cox, who're having a few problems. And Grace's own mystery - will she ever find out what happened to her husband?

This is the second novel in the Cedar Cove series by Debbie Macomber and as with her other work, I enjoyed this book. In this series Macomber has kept story lines open at the end of books and continued them on the in the next. In this particular novel the story of Grace and her missing husband is the main storyline continued. I like howMacomber doesn't wrap everything up in one book, because I sometimes find this a bit rushed. Doing it this way allows Macomber to explore the story more.

That said, there were stories in the novel that I felt were not explored sufficiently enough. In 204 Rosewood Lane, Charlotte is taken ill with cancer. She has her surgery, and a few pages later is up and fine. For a big topic like cancer, it is breezed over and that bugged me. I felt more could have been made of it - the illness and its affects could have been looked at and included more than it was.

I was surprised by the reason of Dan's disappearance. I wasn't expecting it at all. I think Macomber hid that outcome well, and it really was sad. I felt Grace's pain as she experienced it. With other Macomber novels, she has written some lovely characters - people I can relate too and believe in. This book was no exception and I really felt for Grace as she is so easy to like.

And of course, Macomber leaves the book with another mystery waiting to be solved...I found that made me want to read the next novel in the series straight after I had finished this one. I found this another enjoyable Macomber novel. She is my favourite chick-lit author, and I was not let down.

8/10

311 Pelican Court

311pelicancourtpb.jpg

Synopsis from debbiemacomber.com:

Now divorced, Zach and Rosie Cox are struggling to adjust to Judge Olivia's unusual custody agreement

• 1 month later...
204 Rosewood Lane

204-rosewood-lane.jpg

Waterstone's Synopsis:

Welcome to Cedar Cove - a small town with a big heart! Grace Sherman's life was happy and untroubled - until her husband just disappeared. She's spent the last six months desperately searching for an answer. What could be so awful that a devoted husband and father would go without a note or a warning?But life can - and does - go on. Cedar Cove is abuzz with talk of weddings and babies. Justine - the only daughter of Grace's best friend, Judge OliviaLockhart - recently eloped and is blissfully happy. Grace's daughter, Kelly, just had a baby. And it looks like her older daughter, Maryellen, is seeing someone new, someone she's keeping a secret...Then there's Jack, who's been pursuing a romance with Olivia, and Zach and Rosemary Cox, who're having a few problems. And Grace's own mystery - will she ever find out what happened to her husband?

This is the second novel in the Cedar Cove series by Debbie Macomber and as with her other work, I enjoyed this book. In this series Macomber has kept story lines open at the end of books and continued them on the in the next. In this particular novel the story of Grace and her missing husband is the main storyline continued. I like howMacomber doesn't wrap everything up in one book, because I sometimes find this a bit rushed. Doing it this way allows Macomber to explore the story more.

That said, there were stories in the novel that I felt were not explored sufficiently enough. In 204 Rosewood Lane, Charlotte is taken ill with cancer. She has her surgery, and a few pages later is up and fine. For a big topic like cancer, it is breezed over and that bugged me. I felt more could have been made of it - the illness and its affects could have been looked at and included more than it was.

I was surprised by the reason of Dan's disappearance. I wasn't expecting it at all. I think Macomber hid that outcome well, and it really was sad. I felt Grace's pain as she experienced it. With other Macomber novels, she has written some lovely characters - people I can relate too and believe in. This book was no exception and I really felt for Grace as she is so easy to like.

And of course, Macomber leaves the book with another mystery waiting to be solved...I found that made me want to read the next novel in the series straight after I had finished this one. I found this another enjoyable Macomber novel. She is my favourite chick-lit author, and I was not let down.

8/10

311 Pelican Court

311pelicancourtpb.jpg

Synopsis from debbiemacomber.com:

Now divorced, Zach and Rosie Cox are struggling to adjust to Judge Olivia's unusual custody agreement

I have just received 'When Christmas Comes' in the mail from a bookring on Bookcrossing

Also signed up to read

Christmas in Seattle

Old Boyfriends (it's called Susannah's Garden in the US apparently)