Debbie Macomber

K1nS

I would definitely agree you either love her or can't stand her. I enjoy her. I sometimes think things get wrapped up just a little too tidily. The last "Blossom Street" one that I read, I think I just skipped to the end, after I got the lineup of people down. But I know I'll pick up the next one of hers!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

51IvjzR%2BWdL._SX106_.jpgSynopsis:

Peggy Beldon

Thyme and Tide B and B

44 Cranberry Point

Cedar Cove, Washington

Dear Reader,

I love living in Cedar Cove, but things haven't been the same since a man died in our B and B. Turns out his name was Max Russell, and Bob had known him briefly in Vietnam.We still don't have any idea why he came here and--most important of all--who killed him. Because it now appears that he was poisoned. I sure hope somebody figures it out soon!

Not that we're providing the only news in Cedar Cove these days. I heard that Jon Bowman and Maryellen Sherman are getting married. And Maryellen's mom, Grace, has more than her share of interested men! The question is: Which one is she going to choose? Olivia--I guess it's Olivia Griffin now--is back from her honeymoon, and her mother, Charlotte (who's in her mid-seventies at least), seems to have a man in her life, too. I'm not sure Olivia's too pleased....

There's lots of other gossip I could tell you. Come by for a cup of tea and one of my blueberry muffins and we'll talk.

Peggy

This is number four in Macomber's Cedar Cove series. The story picks up pretty much where it left off- new marriages are blossoming, friendships growing, but more importantly, mysteries still unsolved. Peggy and Bob have been struggling since a man called Max turned up in the night to stay at their B&B, and died . It was later found out it was murder. They just want this solved. There are other things going on too, such as the Navy boys returning to their families and Grace trying to get over losing Cliff.

I love Macomber's novels. They are pure and simple chick-lit. This story was full of life, love, friendship and family. But with this series there is a slight twist - Macomber has added in the idea of mystery. In this book, and the previous one:

311 Pelican Court, the mystery surrounds this man Max, his death and his connection to Bob. In the next book the mystery will be surrounding Ray, the Private Investigator. I like this addition to the novel. Macomber writes great novels anyway but this just adds something special and lifts it out of the bog-standard chick-lit genre.

Macomber also writes wonderful characters. I love Olivia, Grace, Peggy and the like. Their friendships are special and reading about their families and events in their lives is great fun. I find them believable and I wish they were real! They are full of wisdom - the kind of older female friends one would want to have around for friendship and guidance.

Yes this is a fairly predictable story, and the murderer wasn't much of a surprise but I enjoyed this book. It was a nice novel that I read in 24 hours. Like the rest of Macomber's books, this comes with high praise from me.

4-stars.jpg

I've got a few of Debbie Macomber's books waiting to be read, the first three in the Cedar Cove series and Mrs Miracle which I bought after watching the made-for-TV movie which aired over Christmas. I've looked at it a couple of times since, but I figure I should wait and read it a bit closer to Christmas as it might be a little strange reading a Christmas book in the middle of summer. I've also got Twenty Wishes but I've been led to believe that this is actually part of the Blossom Street series and as I prefer to read a series in order this one has been put on the backburner for the time being.

I have really enjoyed all of the Blossom Street series and am now working my way through Cedar Cover, I have a few in my book pile as i like to know the next one is lined up. Sometimes I find its good though to have a break, go off and read something else and then come back to her.

• 1 month later...

1046310.jpgBook Sort: Library Book

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis:

Dear Reader,

Considering that I'm married to Cedar Cove's private investigator, you might think I enjoy mysteries. But I don't -- especially when they involve us! Roy and I have been receiving anonymous postcards and messages asking if we "regret the past." We don't know what they mean . . .

On a more positive note, we're both delighted that our daughter, Linette, has moved to Cedar Cove to work at the new medical clinic. A while ago I attended the humane society's "Dog and Bachelor Auction," where I bought her a date with Cal Washburn, who works at Cliff Harding's horse farm. Unfortunately Linette is less enthusiastic about this date than I am.

Speaking of Cliff, the romance between him and Grace Sherman is back on. But that's only one of the many interesting stories here in Cedar Cove. So why don't you drop by for a coffee at my husband's office on Main Street or our House on Harbor and I'll tell you everything that's new!

Corrie

This is typical Debbie Macomber. This is number five in the Cedar Cover series and is in every way as good as the others. You could read this as a stand alone book as it does recap the general story lines from other books, but it does carry on nicely as part of this series.

The main focus of this book is the private investigator, and his wife - Roy and Corrie. They have been receiving mysterious gifts and postcards. They have concerned Corrie and Roy is struggling to find out who they are from. In other stories, Charlotte marries Ben, but is upset by her children wanting to check him out first, Olivia is concerned for Jack's health - and when he ends up in hospital she sees she is right about his lifestyle and everything is a bit on-and-off with Cliff and Grace.

This book includes all the usual favourite characters and we continue to follow them through their lives in Cedar Cove. I don't think I have a favourite, no one sticks out in my mind, but they are all nice and it is quite a gentle, friendly community they live in. It is idealistic but so what? It is nice reading.

Once Roy and Corrie's daughter moved to the area and started making friends I quickly worked out who it was sending the anonymous notes and how the love story would pan out. I didn't mind the predictability however. This is simple chick-lit that would make a good beach read. It is a lovely series to escape to and I always enjoy Macomber. This is a good book for those who like a light, quick, chick-lit read.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I have recently read The Shop on Blossom Street.  I want to read more of the Blossom Street books and I have recently ordered them from the library.  One is ready to be picked up and I will pick it up tomorrow.

I loved the Cedar Cove series.  I was sorry when I read the last of the books and there was no more.  There is an extra Christmas one which covers Marj-Jo's story.  I read it before I read the Cedar Cove series and it did make me want to read more about these characters.

In one of the early books, Debbie Maccomber explains how the books are numbered.  It was intentional with the first, but after that, she found it a good way to keep the books in order.  The first book has a 1 at the beginning of the number, the second book has a 2 at the beginning of the number, the third book has a 3 at the beginning of the number.  The rest of the Cedar Cove series follows this pattern.

I have the first three books in the Cedar Cove series in my TBR pile.  I find Debbie's books really quick and easy to read so will be slotting them in amongst some of the more indepth books I have waiting to be read.  Has anyone seen the television series based on the series?  I only saw the first couple of episodes before deciding to read the books first but what I did see, I really enjoyed.

Chair - I didn't know that about the numbering system so thanks for the info.  It will come in handy as I'll be borrowing the rest of the series from the library.