Patricia Cornwell

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the shared profession of the respective lead characters, I wouldn't even compare the two authors. So far, on average Reichs seems superior to me. Her tone just doesn't take itself so seriously, even if it gets a little silly at times. Cornwell seems almost solemn at times, and I keep wanting to say "get over yourself" to everyone in her books.

I agree. I mean, I would compare the two, and that's exactly because their approach to crime comes from a similar interest, but when comparing I would always say if one can choose, they should go for Reichs and give Cornwell's novels a miss.

I think the main thing about Cornwell is that she was one of the first crime novelists I read back in the day, and therefore I didn't really have that many authors to compare to. Since then I've discovered other authors, but it's been such a long time since I first read my Cornwell's that I always thought they could stand the comparison and would continue to be great. Which unfortunately isn't the case. I still intend to re-read all her books I own because it took me 2 years to collect them all, and I haven't read all of them before, but I'm definitely not going to buy all her future novels, and that's simply because there are far better crime novelists out there.

I tried one of her books and didn't get very far because the violence was a bit too schlocky.

What's schlocky, then?

One thing I think Cornwell always balanced well, despite her other flaws, was in not over egging the more sensation elements of her novels (I guess this may come from her having worked in a pathology lab).

I agree to a certain point. It's great that there are more 'authentic' novels out there, but if that takes away from the suspense and if the novels become boring and a drag to read, it's not exactly a good thing.

I've read all of P Cornwell, and Kathy Reichs and I am thinking of Karen Slaughter. Is it worth it?

I would definitely recommend Karin Slaughter :smile2:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The only reason I read 10 of her books was that I won them in an ebay auction. Being stuck in a non-English speaking country I'm grateful for what I can get. I'm not one to leave mysteries unread.

Just now I'm revisiting Linda Fairstein. One of her books left a good impression some years ago. But I'm playing it safe, having bought only 2 more for now, just in case.