Patricia Cornwell

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her new book, which is a standalone is due out in June.

'At Risk' looks ok, so will probably give it a go :wink:

Here's the synopsis ~

A 'one-off' from the best-selling creator of the Dr Kay Scarpetta series, based on the serialisation in the New York Times. Moving between the chill of Cambridge, Massachusetts and the sultry humidity of Knoxville, Tennessee, Winston Garano, a police investigator, is instructed to look into a twenty-year-old murder case. Although Win reckons there are many more pressing current cases which should have higher priority, he gets on with the task, unaware of the can of worms he will prise open. With her hallmark qualities of deft characterisation, perfect research and tense story-telling, Patricia Cornwell has created a novel which entertains, intrigues and satisfies.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I love the Scarpetta series, admittedly I've not tried any of her other books, but I've been reading the Scarpetta series since I was about 14 or 15 and do think they're better than Kathy Reichs Tempe Brennan series, although they're very good and I read them also, as they're pretty similar. I've heard a lot of people say that they prefer the older Scarpetta books as Cornwell has lost her touch, but I've enjoyed her recent books personally, and think they're as good :yes: Does anyone else enjoy this series?

I think I've said this elsewhere, but I stopped reading the Scarpetta books when Cornwell started sniffing the money from the movie rights (I'm thinking specifically of a rather daft helicopter chase in one of the books).

I remember From Potter's Field being pretty good, but it has to be five to ten years since I last read one of her books.

I love the Scarpetta series, admittedly I've not tried any of her other books, but I've been reading the Scarpetta series since I was about 14 or 15 and do think they're better than Kathy Reichs Tempe Brennan series, although they're very good and I read them also, as they're pretty similar. I've heard a lot of people say that they prefer the older Scarpetta books as Cornwell has lost her touch, but I've enjoyed her recent books personally, and think they're as good :D Does anyone else enjoy this series?

I've read all her Scarpetta series apart from the latest 'Scarpetta' (although a good friend of mine has it and I'll probably borrow it :)) and have loved them all. I have to agree that Kathy Reichs is very similar (I've read all hers too :yes:) but I find I enjoyed them both. I've also got her 'Ripper' book on my TBR shelf!

I've also got her 'Ripper' book on my TBR shelf!

I think I read somewhere that most of the leading lights in Ripper-Lore have dismissed that as a load of old tosh. I did see her documentary on it, at the same time as the book came out, but I can't remember much about it now!

I think I read somewhere that most of the leading lights in Ripper-Lore have dismissed that as a load of old tosh. I did see her documentary on it, at the same time as the book came out, but I can't remember much about it now!

I heard the same, but I'd still like to hear her take on it. Besides as lexie says, nobody really knows who the ripper was so Cornwell could be right! Right? :yes:

I've read Cornwell's Ripper, and I found it quite convincing (but I have to say that I haven't really been reading anything about the case before and didn't know much about it before reading the book). It was also a really enjoyable and interesting read (in a gory way).

I've read Cornwell's Ripper, and I found it quite convincing (but I have to say that I haven't really been reading anything about the case before and didn't know much about it before reading the book). It was also a really enjoyable and interesting read (in a gory way).

I have this book on my TBR pile must move up to near the top I love gore :yes:

Oh, the things Ripper could have learned from Dexter...

You're right there ... Dexter could certainly teach him thing or two! :lol:

(Is it me or is Dexter popping up everywhere? :D )

I have this book on my TBR pile must move up to near the top I love gore :lol:

Me too Heather and Patricia is usually good for it too. :lol: