• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sisterhood by Emily Barr

053-2009-Oct-16-TheSisterhood.jpg

The ‘blurb’

Who is Elizabeth Greene?

To me, she’s everything.

I’ve always felt something was missing. And then I found out I had a sister I never knew existed. Elizabeth Greene: I had to meet her.

My plan was to get to know her before telling her our secret. But this isn’t how I imagined it. I don’t feel in control any more. Liz has been looking at me strangely, asking awkward questions. Does she suspect something?

But we were meant to find each other, so it will all work out in the end, I know it will. It has to.

When Liz splits up with her long-term partner and finds herself pregnant after a one-night stand, she decides to keep the baby and bring it up on her own. Finding herself with a distinct lack of friends after the split, she finds comfort posting on a forum for pregnant women and new mums.

Meanwhile in France, Helen comes across a faded photograph of her mother holding a baby that is not her or her younger brother. Through the internet, she discovers her sister, Liz Greene, on ‘Babytalk’ and starts to build a friendship with her.

Helen plans to move to London and meet Liz in person. When the time is right, she’ll reveal that they are sisters. But her idea is not going according to plan…

I always enjoy Emily Barr’s books. They are what could be described as chick-lit with sinister overtones.

Whilst I found that this book was rather predictable, I guessed that

Helen's brother was dead

for example, the pace of it and the way it is divided into sections of either Liz’s story or Helen’s story - with the occasional bit about ‘Mary’ - made it quite compelling and I found I had to keep picking it up to find out what would happen next.

My only slight criticism is that I felt the prologue was a bit of a giveaway as to what was coming!

The paperback is 439 pages long and is published by Headline. The ISBN number is 978-0755335572.

Hi Ben - nice of you to pop by! :D

I was thinking about you the other day (whilst looking guiltily at Treasure Island, which I still haven't got round to reading! :P It's the first book I remember us discussing) and wondering how you were. :D

How's 6th form? (ETA: Just reading your thread - I'll reply there :lol: ).

Wow, that actually makes me happy at how one book can remind you of somebody on here. Just proves how well you can get on with people on here and I've had times when I've thought about people when looking at a book sitting on my shelf. You'll have to get around to reading it then we could finally compare thoughts! :P

Despite me reading nearly 60 books so far this year, my 'to read' pile is bigger than ever. I was going to be ruthless and get rid of some that have been there for years, but I just couldn't do it and only parted with about 10. It's beginning to frighten me just how big it is now. sad1.gif

And my Amazon 'Wishlist' now stands at around 200 items - only about 6 or 7 of which are not books.

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Anyway, I finished Remembrance yesterday and I've just started The Woman in Black by Susan Hill, which is my Bookworms book (my choice) for next Tuesday.

I feel your pain Janet. :friends0: I'm always torn between feeling really happy about all the wonderful books I have on my TBR pile, and being frustrated that my pile only ever goes up and I won't get to read many of the books for years yet.

I feel your pain Janet. :) I'm always torn between feeling really happy about all the wonderful books I have on my TBR pile, and being frustrated that my pile only ever goes up and I won't get to read many of the books for years yet.

I am always in awe of the number of books you buy! I think you also read at a quicker rate than me though.

:D That sounds like a good idea, Kylie!

057-2009-Oct-25-Remembrance.jpg

Remembrance by Theresa Breslin

The ‘blurb’

Summer 1915, and the sound of the guns at the Western Front can be heard across the Channel in England.

Throughout Britain, local regiments are recruiting for Kitchener’s Army. And in the village of Stratharden, the Great War will alter irrevocably the course of five young lives…

I’ve not read anything by this author before, but I was drawn to this book because of my interest in reading novels about World War 1. It felt familiar, like I’d read about it before somewhere. It turns out that I had it on my Amazon Wishlist - I must have added it at least 3 years ago! (I bought it in a charity shop and it was in the adult section - the cover, whilst pretty, doesn't make it look like a childrens book).

As I started reading this book, I was rather surprised by the tone of it. It felt almost like the author was being patronising which seemed strange… until I noticed on the back that it’s a children’s book! That made more sense and I was then able to settle down to enjoy the story, knowing it was not written with me in mind as target audience and that the tone is perfectly correct for readers of about 10 or so!

It tells the story of five people on the brink of adulthood, all of whom are affected by the War. The story starts in 1915 and moves through the years to the end of the war, and is set both in Scotland and on the battlefields of France.

It not only deals with the war but also with those left behind. Particularly interesting is the way the author writes about women, and how they gained a certain amount of independence which they had never known before. She also deals with the question of pacifism and how this affected families, and how social barriers were changing, again, as a result of the war.

When writing about the horrors of war, the author deals with it in a way which is indicative of how it really was without being too graphic, being sensitive to her target audience. At the same time, the story isn’t all happy endings so it is realistic. I asked my children about this book and it wasn’t used in their primary school, but I would have thought this was an excellent book for introducing years 5 and 6 to WW1. I thought it was very good.

The paperback is 303 pages long and is published by Corgi. The ISBN number is 978-0552547383.

Edited by Janet

I started Carry On, Jeeves by P G Wodehouse yesterday. I haven't had time to read any today, sadly, but I'm loving what I've read so far. I picture Fry and Laurie, but that doesn't bother me at all! :D

(If I hadn't seen their TV show, I'd probably picture Jeeves and the posh bloke from the Croft Original adverts - but you're mostly too young to remember those! :D ).

*Note so self. When reading this in a public place (ie the hospital cafe) prepare for funny looks when chuckling out loud!

CARRY ON, JEEVES by P G WODEHOUSE

059-2009-Nov-05-CarryOnJeeves.jpg

Carry On, Jeeves by P G Wodehouse

The ‘blurb’

These marvellous stories introduce us to Jeeves, whose first ever duty is to cure Bertie’s raging hangover (‘if you would drink this, Sir… it is a little preparation of my own invention. It is the Worcester Sauce that gives it its colour. The raw egg makes it nutritious. The red pepper gives it its bite. Gentlemen have told me they have found it extremely invigorating after a late evening.’)

And from that moment, one of the funniest, sharpest and most touching partnerships in English literature never looks back…

I used to love Fry and Laurie in ITV’s series Jeeves and Wooster but had never read any of the books before. I was pleased to find this, the first one written about them, in a charity shop recently.

I’m not usually a fan of short stories and I didn’t realise that rather than being one story, it was going to be a series of adventures which aren’t really linked, although there are references to other adventures in some of them, but that didn’t matter a jot! It’s rather formulaic writing

1. Bertie does something/wears something that Jeeves does not approve of. 2. Something bad happens to one of Bertie’s friends. 3. A series of mishaps follow. 4. Jeeves saves the day. 5. Bertie relinquishes the thing that caused Jeeves’ upset…

but that didn’t matter a jot!

Of course, having loved the TV series I was unable to read this without picturing Fry and Laurie but… you’ve guessed it… that didn’t matter a jot either, and the stories made me laugh out loud in places.

There are 10 mini-adventures in total in this book. Number 10 was unique in this collection in that it is told from Jeeves’ perspective instead of Bertie’s which came as a nice surprise.

I've always intended to read some of the Jeeves and Wooster books, but I never seem to get around to it! I can see two omnibus editions on the top shelf in the bookcase in front of me that belong to OH and I always think I must read those ... you've convinced me they're worth the effort, Janet, so I'm moving them to my TBR shelves now!

I've always intended to read some of the Jeeves and Wooster books, but I never seem to get around to it! I can see two omnibus editions on the top shelf in the bookcase in front of me that belong to OH and I always think I must read those ... you've convinced me they're worth the effort, Janet, so I'm moving them to my TBR shelves now!

I made another post at the same time and nearly missed this!

I hope you enjoy them. :tong: I really enjoyed my first outing with them so shall definitely look for more. :exc:

I'm pretty certain Kylie is a big fan too.

Yes, Kylie is indeed a big fan. :tong: I meant to post the other day when I saw you were reading this but never got around to it for some reason.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :exc: The writing is certainly formulaic, to the point where all the books are starting to blend together for me and I can't tell each one apart. But having read your review I know I've read this one, and you're right: it doesn't matter if the stories are a bit same-ish because they're just so much fun to read!

Will you be seeking out more Wodehouse?

Yes, definitely. :tong: I'd like to read more of J&W, but also to try some of his other titles.

There is a short excerpt of Full Moon, a Blandings Novel, in the back, which sound good. I think Something Fresh is the first in that series.

I've been perusing wodehouse.co.uk - I had no idea he was so prolific!

Just started Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce as part of my 'Reading Through the Decades' challenge (1950s children's book - it was first published in 1958).

I read the book as a child and also have fond memories of the 1974 BBC drama - I haven't seen the more-recent film version.