Janet's Reading Log 2009

Janet

Finished Sweet Thames by Matthew Kneale today.

Set during the Cholera epidemic of the 1840s, It tells the story of Joshua Jeavons who has plans to reform the sewage systems in London - and at the same time investigates the disappearance of his wife. The characters and story are loosely based on real people.

Whilst I didn't enjoy it as much as Kneale's English Passengers, it was a great story. I find his characterisation excellent and he is superb at painting a really vivid picture of Victorian London, both of the upper classes and the slum dwellers who live in close proximity in the city.

7/10

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished This is not a Novel by Irish author Jennifer Johnston. Not the most exciting book in the world! Still, it was only 10p in a sale of ex-library paperbacks so at least I didn't waste too much money. 5/10.

Am now about 50 pages or so into Firmin by Sam Savage.

Firmin: The Adventures of a Metropolitan Lowlife by Sam Savage

032-2009-May-27-FirminAdventuresofa.jpg

Told entirely in Firmin's voice, a book about a rat that lives in a bookstore and learns to read might not seem like everyone's cup of tea, but it's a fabulous story of wanting to belong - it's sad in places and funny in places and Firmin is really endearing for a rat.

The copy in the picture above (although I assume other versions will too) has the most gorgeous illustrations in it.

8/10

Hmm - disappointed to say that I'm struggling with Watership Down - I'm finding it a bit slow.

I'm on page 100/4?? and will keep going, but it's not engaging me as much as I thought it might. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've started Any Human Heart by William Boyd - I've not read anything by this author, nor have I read any reviews about this book so it'll be a surprise. Whether it'll be a good one is anyone's guess!

I've started Any Human Heart by William Boyd - I've not read anything by this author, nor have I read any reviews about this book so it'll be a surprise. Whether it'll be a good one is anyone's guess!

I read it a couple of years ago, but I'll keep my opinions to myself until after you've finished it :friends0:

Oh dear, that doesn't bode well! :friends0:

It's one of the books that was recommended to me at my Book Spa day at Mr B's Emporium in Bath...

No, don't read anything into it ... it's a completely opinion free comment. I didn't want to give you any clue as to what I was thinking so that you still had no preconceived ideas. :lol:

Very slightly under half-way through Any Human Heart now and I'm really enjoying it!

The trouble (I find) with novels written in journal style is that I can't stop reading so I set myself a time limit but then think "oh, just one more entry. Just another. Okay one more..." - I've done nothing yet today! :D </lazy>

Finished Any Human Heart by William Boyd on Saturday- I enjoyed it. I'm currently trying to get my thoughts on it down on paper.

I'm just about to start The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - I've managed to avoid the thread/posts about it and am hugely looking forward to it. :icon_eek:

Well, I'm pleased to tell you that I really enjoyed Any Human Heart as well, Janet! After that, I also read Restless by the same author which was also very good. I keep meaning to look out some more of his books, but haven't got round to it yet.

I'm off out to my bookworms group in about 5 minutes but I had to sneak online quickly to say how much I *loved* The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - what a fab book! :icon_eek:

oooh that sounds interesting

It was frankie - really good. :lol:

Today I finished City of Thieves by David Benioff. Set in Russia during World War Two, it tells the story of two prisoners who are given a quest - they have a week to find and bring back a dozen eggs for the Colonel's daughter's wedding cake. If they come back with them they will gain their freedom - return empty handed and they will die.

The book was ticketed to say that if you bought it and didn't enjoy it, then you could claim two free books - but they'll be keeping my two!!

038-2009-July-19-CityofThieves2.jpg038-2009-July-19-CityofThieves1.jpg

I haven't read anything about Russia's involvement in WW2 before and really enjoyed this. 9/10. :lol: