"Around The World" Reading Challenge!

Nollaig

Oh dear God.

It's not politics. It's basic fundamental knowledge that anyone above the age of five should know about their own country! I'm sorry to sound harsh, but...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What the hell has this got to do with this thread anyway?

Additionally - I know what MY country is, its the relation between the others that I'm not entirely sure about, I know they're governed by the monarchy/prime minister, but I don't know exactly how them being seperate countries works.

As for the Great Britain/United Kingdom thing, I wasn't sure because I never think about it because its pretty much irrelevant to me. Apparently however, I knew exactly what it was, because I was right essentially in what I said when I thought about it. I didn't want to state what I wasn't entirely sure of at the exact time I was posting.

So no, you don't need to sound harsh, and until you start posting about books from various countries, you can get out of this thread and all.

Well, I'm sorry if my frankness hurt your feelings, but I only reacted to what you yourself said.

The Republic Of Ireland is I suppose the only distinctly seperate one since we've a president and all, but I don't know.

So it seems your high horse on you knowing your own country isn't quite in line with your own words. Ireland is an independent republic (since 1921) that has nothing to do with Great Britain (that'd be England, Wales and Scotland) nor UK (that'd be the United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). It hasn't even been in the Commonwealth since the late 40's. Just to fill you in.

As for the topic, as the challenge was and is about titles from all the countries in the world, this still fits the topic in my view. After all, it was all part of the discussion what's the definition of 'a country' used.

Although, theres a new challenge in itself. One book from each of every United State! :D

That's a good idea. :D

Actually, I'd like to do one for each county of England (either author from... or novel about...) but I've no idea how I'd go about that or if it would even be possible!

That's a good idea. :D

Actually, I'd like to do one for each county of England (either author from... or novel about...) but I've no idea how I'd go about that or if it would even be possible!

Thank you for putting this back on topic.

I agree, its a nice idea. I think it probably would bemore difficult with England though, because its much smaller :D

It would be impossible with Ireland, and even if it wasn't, I wouldn't want to read what came out of half the counties here.

'How to grow the perfect spuds' or something about farming would inevitably come from my county. :D

I agree, its a nice idea. I think it probably would bemore difficult with England though, because its much smaller :)

There are around 45 counties in England, I think and as I only managed 40 books in 2008 it would be quite a challenge for me. :D Maybe one day...

'How to grow the perfect spuds' or something about farming would inevitably come from my county. :D

:D And make Guinness! :)

I think I remember once seeing where someone was doing a States challenge where each State was represented either by an author from there or a book set there - it looked interesting! A similar challenge with British Counties might be interesting. As for the global challenge, there are varoious similar ones with different "rules", for example, I'm doing the Olympic Challenge where each country that's represented in the summer Olympics is covered by an author from there. It's a long-term challenge as there are over 200! So far I've only covered 28 countries - LOL!

There are around 45 counties in England, I think and as I only managed 40 books in 2008 it would be quite a challenge for me. :D Maybe one day...

Oh well I meant I didn't think there would be one book for every county! It'd be fun to find out though.

And make Guinness! :D

'How to make Guiness, and then uphold the Irish Alcoholic reputation while drinking it!'

Yeah, I think it would be tricky. I'd love to read one 'about' each county but it would be difficult finding books set in each one, I think.

Some would be easy e.g The Darling Buds of May by H E Bates is set in Kent, Year of Wonders is about the plague village Eyam (I've already read that though) so I'm sure there would be books for each county, but it would be hard tracking some down, methinks.

Still, I might consider it when I've finished my 'Decades' challenge. :D

Aha! You're the person with the decades challenge. I had thought about that even before I saw yours.

If you start working on an English Counties one, I might tag along if you don't mind and start developing my own list too :D

I'm doing the Olympic Challenge where each country that's represented in the summer Olympics is covered by an author from there. It's a long-term challenge as there are over 200! So far I've only covered 28 countries - LOL!

Oh whoops, didn't see your post Kell, sorry - I must check that out!

I'm getting obsessed with challenges! :D

I might tag along if you don't mind and start developing my own list too :)

*laughs* Developing the lists is what you enjoy most isn't it? :D

This idea seems interesting... Maybe I should do something similar with France? One day, maybe. At the moment I cant be bothered to restrict my book choices :D

Edit:

I'm getting obsessed with challenges! :)

Just what I meant my dear! :D

*laughs* Developing the lists is what you enjoy most isn't it? :D

This idea seems interesting... Maybe I should do something similar with France? One day, maybe. At the moment I cant be bothered to restrict my book choices :D

HAHAHA oh god, we're going to end up with lists for every COUNTY in the world :D

I do love developing the lists :) Although to be fair, Lexiepiper was the biggest contributer to this thread, she put me to shame! :)

I'm just having a good rumage through and it seems to be good, it's run by two librarians, so a good selection.

They also have a "solar system" section... I feel a new challenge coming on... read your way around the galaxy! :D

They also have an oceans section, perhaps you could read your way around the world, crossing the oceans as you go :D

Read all the books in your TBR pile?

I think thats probably the most basic challenge everybody on this forum engages in everyday....... so no.

Do we have a "useful book related links" thread? I'd hate to loose this link and it could be handy for those trying to make lists for their challenges.

Thats a good idea actually, I don't know if we do...?