"Around The World" Reading Challenge!

Nollaig

Anyone found any books written by someone from Andorra? I think this one might have to be one of those ones that I use lexipiper's suggestion & read a book about the country, rather than a book written by someone from that country.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone found any books written by someone from Andorra? I think this one might have to be one of those ones that I use lexipiper's suggestion & read a book about the country, rather than a book written by someone from that country.

No, I've not managed to find anything, I'll still keep looking, but I think it will be one we'll need to read about the country

5. Angola - ["Jaime Bunda: Secret Agent" - Pepetela] ["The Return of the Water Spirit" - Pepetela]

7. Argentina - ["The Tango Singer" - Tomas Eloy Martinez]

14. Bangladesh - ["Brick Lane" - Monica Ali] ["A Golden Age" - Tahmima Anam]

38. Colombia - ["Delirium" - Laura Restrepo]

44. Cuba - ["Adios Hemingway" - Leonardo Padura Fuentes]

50. Dominican Republic - ["In The Time Of The Butterflies" - Julia Alvarez]

52. East Timor - ["The Crossing" - Luis Cardoso]

59. Ethiopia - ["Children of the Revolution" - Dinaw Mengestu] ["The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears" - Dinaw Mengestu]

63. Gabon - ["Mema" - Daniel Mengara]

67. Ghana - ["No Sweetness Here" - Ama Ata Aidoo]

79. Indonesia - ["All That Is Gone" - Pramoedya Ananta Toer]

80. Iran - ["The Septembers Of Shiraz" - Dalia Sofer] ["The Blood Of Flowers" - Anita Amirrezvani]

83. Israel - ["We Just Want to Live Here" - Amal Rifa'i, Odelia Ainbinde & Sylke Tempel]

89. Kenya - ["Unbowed" - Wangari Maathai]

98. Lebanon - ["Gate Of The Sun" - Elias Khoury] ["Yalo" - Elias Khoury]

101. Libya - ["In The Country of Men" - Hisham Matar]

108. Malaysia - ["Evening Is The Whole Day" - Preeta Samarasan]

121. Morocco - ["This Blinding Absence Of Light" - Tahar Ben Jelloun]

122. Mozambique - ["A River Called Time" - Mia Couto] ["Sleepwalking Land" - Mia Couto]

127. New Zealand - ["Mister Pip" - Lloyd Jones]

142. Portugal - ["Blindness" - Jos

Cool, thanks Nellie :roll:

Look, I did research Lexie!

Theres only a couple at the end for you though. Oh and the post above this. :blush:

Armenia - ["The Long Haul" - A.I. Bezzerides]

Lebanon - ["A Balcony over the Fakihani" - Liyana Badr]

Botswana - ["Maru, a Novel" - Bessie Head]

Barbados - ["The Emigrants" - George Lamming]

Bosnia - [" The Bridge on the Drina" - Ivo Andric]

Bulgaria - ["Under the Yoke" - Ivan Vazov]

El Salvador - ["A Place Called Milagro de La Paz" - Manilo Argueta]

Finland - ["Wonderful Women by the Water" - Monika Fagerholm]

Guatemala - ["Men of Maize" - Miguel Angel Asturias]

Haiti - ["So Spoke the Uncle" - Jean Price-Mars]

Korea - [" Land: A Novel" - Kyong-ni Park]

Netherlands - ["The Discovery of Heaven: A Novel" - Harry Mulisch] ["In Babylon" - Marcel M

Edited by Nollaig

Tut, tut, Chimera.

Not dedicating time to a nearly-impossible task?

Disgraceful :roll: (kidding, obviously)

I'm only researching because I'm a perfectionist and by God I will fill that list up if I have to change my nationality and write the books myself. :blush:

Sure, we all researched seperately so I can't speak for others. I looked through blogs which did similar challenges and looked through wikipedia for more information and things. Having said that I think Lexiepiper was the biggest contributer.

The list is a rough outline, personally I've chosen to also include books ABOUT countries because I really want a complete list. (Thats in my own blog list, not on here, this is strictly country by author.) So really its an aid for people to develop their version of the challange, or as Lexipiper suggested at one point 'not something anyone will actually complete but will encourage us to read outside our comfort zone.

So you got the list of countries (not the titles) from other challenges like this? The reason I'm curious is that it's a different list I would have compiled, that's all. So I was wondering what you based your list of "countries of the world" on.

Ohhhh sorry!! I totally misunderstood.

The list actually came from another challenge on this forum which someone was doing. We ended up discussing it on another thread, and then created this one (several of us, not just me.)

I think it matches Wikipedia's list of countries though.

Why, how would you have done it?

No worries, happens all the time.

Well, I wouldn't have had Scotland and all those separately, for starters. After all, they're not independent countries. That's practically the same as listing all the states of US separately. So my criteria would have been the UN. And I would have started with the list of UN member nations and then added the few missing ones to that.

Ah right. I didn't even think about it tbh, I just took the list someone else had already used. Although, considering its easy to get books from scotland, wales and england seperately, I don't mind reading books for each of those. I'm not really concerned with the politics, its really only a guideline to get me reading differents kinds of books, and the whole challenge is open to interpretation anyway.

Oh absolutely. And as it's your challenge, you can do it any way you like. It just caught my eye, maybe because I'm not British, and I'm more used to thinking of the Great Britain as a whole, not England and Scotland and Wales separately. On the other hand, I'm a bit like Lance Armstrong was when he first joined a biking team and every one was asked to introduce themselves at dinner and say where they were from. People went "I'm namename and I'm from France" and "... from Spain" and whatnot, until it was Armstrong's turn. "Lance Armstrong, Texas." So I separate the states, at least to a decree, you people England and Scotland.

I think of them as very different countries. Regardless of political technicalities, Wales has its own language, culture and so on. Scotland is very celtic like Ireland. England is England as we all know it. The Republic Of Ireland is I suppose the only distinctly seperate one since we've a president and all, but I don't know. I guess its because I live here that I think of them as such, like you say with dividing states.

Although, theres a new challenge in itself. One book from each of every United State! :D

O.o

Did I say something wrong? o.o

Well, tbh I don't even know the political dealy with that..... I think we're the UK but not Great Britain (GB = Scotland, england, wales and Northern ireland) and United Kingdom is actually 'United Kingdoms of Great Britain and Ireland', (or something, I'm really not certain) but what I meant was, because the monarchy doesn't have anything to do with us, we've our President/Taoiseach and so on.

Edited by Nollaig