"Around The World" Reading Challenge!

Nollaig

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh whoops, didn't see your post Kell, sorry - I must check that out!

I'm getting obsessed with challenges! :D

If you nip along to my 2009 reading thread (link in my sig) there's a link to my Olympic list there in the first post. :D

If you nip along to my 2009 reading thread (link in my sig) there's a link to my Olympic list there in the first post. :D

Ahhh yes, lovely!! I must have a proper look through at what you've got there. Thanks :D

Ooooh, Kell, I quite like that States challenge. I like the idea of choosing one book SET in each place, as it would provide an interesting view of the culture of each state. I have to admit, I am pretty ignorant about the culture in a large part of my own country, especially the South, the Midwest, and the Northeast. I think I might try this challenge. :P

EDIT: I also am doing the Decades challenge...if anyone wants to see my list, you can find my challenges in my siggy.

Edited by Echo

• 2 weeks later...

1. Afghanistan - ["A Thousand Rooms of Dream and Fear" - Atiq Rahimi]

3. Algeria - ["The Outsider" - Albert Camus]

7. Argentina - ["The Book of Murder" - Guillermo Martinez] ["The Bride from Odessa" - Edgardo Cozarinsky]

10. Austria - ["The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick" - Peter Handke]

13. Bahrain - ["QuixotiQ" - Ali Al Saeed]

14. Bangladesh - ["Lajja" - Taslima Nasrin]

17. Belgium - ["Cheese" - Willem Elsschot]

18. Belize - ["The Festival of San Joaquin" - Zee Edgell] ["Time and the River" - Zee Edgell]

20. Bhutan - ["The Circle of Karma" - Kunzang Choden]

26. Bulgaria - ["Natural Novel" - Georgi Gospodinov]

32. Canada - ["Crow Lake" - Mary Lawson]

40. Congo - ["The Seven Solitudes of Lorsa Lopez" - Sony Labou Tansi] ["Full Circle" - Frederick Yamusangie]

46. Czech Republic - ["The Good Soldier Svejk" - Jaroslav Hasek] ["The Trial" - Franz Kafka]

48. Djibouti - ["The Land without Shadows" - Abdourahman A. Waberi]

49. Dominica - ["Voyage in the Dark" - Jean Rhys] ["It Falls into Place" - Phyllis Shand Allfrey]

58. Estonia - ["Diary of a Blood Donor" - Mati Unt]

61. Finland - ["A Fool's Paradise" - Anita Konkka]

62. France - ["Cousin Bette" - Honore Balzac] ["Just Like Tomorrow" - Faiza Guene] ["Nausea" - Jean-Paul Sartre]

64. (The) Gambia - ["Reading the Ceiling" - Dayo Forster]

68. Greece - ["The Odyssey" - Homer]

69. Grenada - ["Angel" - Merle Collins]

71. Guinea - ["The Dark Child" - Camara Laye] ["The Oldest Orphan" - Tierno Monenembo]

74. Haiti - ["Breath, Eyes, Memory" - Edwidge Danticat] ["Masters of the Dew" - Jacques Roumain]

76. Hungary - ["Kaddish for an Unborn Child" - Imre Kertesz]

81. Iraq - ["Saddam City" - Mahmoud Saeed]

82. Ireland - ["The Secret Scripture" - Sebastian Barry]

83. Israel - ["The Saturday Morning Murder" - Batya Gur]

84. Italy - ["Silk" - Alessandro Baricco] ["The Name of the Rose" - Umberto Eco] ["The Shape of Water" - Andrea Camilleri]

85. Jamaica - ["Brother Man" - Roger Mais]

86. Japan - ["Some Prefer Nettles" - Jun'ichiro Tanizaki]

92. Korea (South) - ["The Reverse Side of Life" - Lee Seung-U]

95. Kyrgyzstan - ["Jamilia" - Chingiz Aitmatov]

98. Lebanon - ["I Sweep the Sun Off Rooftops" - Hanan Al-Shaykh]

101. Libya - ["Gold Dust" - Ibrahim al-Koni]

107. Malawi - ["The Last of the Sweet Bananas" - Jack Mapanje]

115. Mexico - ["Pedro Paramo" - Juan Rulfo]

119. Mongolia - ["The Blue Sky" - Galsan Tschinag]

123. Namibia - ["The Purple Violet of Oshaantu" - Neshani Andreas]

125. Nepal - ["The Guru of Love" - Samrat Upadhyay]

127. New Zealand - ["The Collected Stories of Katherine Mansfield" - Katherine Mansfield]

128. Nicaragua - ["The Country Under My Skin" - Gioconda Belli]

131. Norway - ["To Siberia" - Per Petterson] ["Sophie's World" - Jostein Gaarder]

134. Pakistan - ["Meatless Days" - Sara Suleri] ["Trespassing" - Uzma Aslam Khan]

137. Papua New Guinea - ["Tales of the Tikongs" - Epeli Hau'ofa]

141. Poland - ["Lost in Translation" - Eva Hoffman]

148. St. Lucia - ["Selected Poetry" - Derek Walcott]

149. St. Vincent & the Grenadines - ["Return to Arcadia" - H. Nigel Thomas]

153. Saudi Arabia - ["Adama" - Turki Al-Hamad]

159. Singapore - ["Following The Wrong God Home" - Catherine Lim]

161. Slovenia - ["Joyce's Pupil" - Drago Jancar]

166. Sri Lanka - ["Mosquito" - Roma Tearne]

171. Switzerland - ["To the End of the World" - Blaise Cendrars]

172. Syria - ["Just Like a River" - Muhammad Kamil Al-Khatib]

180. Tunisia - ["The Pillar of Salt" - Albert Memmi] ["Lion Mountain" - Mustapha Tlili]

185. Ukraine - ["This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen" - Tadeusz Borowski]

189. Uzbekistan - ["The Railway" - Hamid Ismailov]

197. Zambia - ["Bitterness" - Malama Katulwende]

Edited by lexiepiper

New books added, including 29 new countries - the total now stands at 121 countries out of 198, which is mostly thanks to the infinately awesome Lexiepiper.

Lex, would you mind changing the total in your first post to 121? :lol:

• 7 months later...

Not sure if you included Malta and Liechtenstein. after a bit of research found some in english written by the Maltese author Francis Ebejer 'Requiem for a Malta Facist' 'In the eye of the Sun' 'The Maltese Baron and I Lucian' 'Aleap of Maltese Dophins'

Edited by sirinrob

Could "The Diary of a Young Girl" by Anne Frank be listed under Netherlands and not Germany? Born in Germany admittedly, but moved to Amsterdam when she was only three or four.

For Sweden, I would add Kerstin Ekman's Blackwater or Under the Snow......mysteries set in the bleak north.

• 9 months later...

Thanks, I'm starting my challenge thread! I didn't know how this section worked, but now I know that I can start a thread here. My problem was that I've read a lot of books, but all from France or England! Too bad that I have not a single book from Africa! Maybe I have read some, but I don't remember. Anyway, it's time to do it now!

There are a few of us doing this challenge so you might be able to get some good recommendations from our own threads (and indeed lots of people here will have great recommendations for you). Good luck! :blush:

If I could, I'd do all the challenges but I would fail to my studies if I spent my whole time reading. :tong: I have found a new book to read, but it's French so it can't help my challenge, too bad! But I have found an other book, German, by Nietzsche, so THIS will be fine for my challenge! And for my mind, like the Sartre I've found. :blush:

• 2 months later...

A mixture of books I've read/ want to read:

14. Bangladesh: Muhammad Yunus - Creating a World Without Poverty (autobiography)

37. China: Dai Sijie - Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, Ha Jin - Waiting

53. Egypt: Alaa Al Aswany - The Yacoubian Building, Naguib Mahfouz - The Cairo Trilogy

78. India: R.K. Narayan - A Malgudi Omnibus, Vikas Swarup - Q&A, Manohar Malgonkar - A Bend in the Gange, Salman Rushdie...

80. Iran: Marjane Satrapi - Persepolis (graphic novel)

84. Italy: Donna Leon - Brunetti crime novel series, Italo Calvino - The Baron in the Trees

86. Japan: Kazuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go

89. Kenya: Ngugi Wa Thiong'O - A Grain of Wheat

130. Nigeria: Buchi Emecheta - Second Class Citizen

139. Peru: Mario Vargas Llosa - Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter

156. Serbia: Ivo Andric - The Bridge over the Drina

This challenge looks great and I might take it on someday but at the moment I want to keep all freedom in my choice of books. Good luck!

You have to read The Bridge over the Drina . It's amazing :rolleyes: Not because Ivo was a Serb but because the book is amazingly good . I wish you great time while reading it sooner or later :wink:

• 1 month later...