Andrea's reads of 2009

~Andrea~

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished it last night :D I had a look on amazon at some of the reviews (which are spoiler ridden btw) and I can understand why some people would be disappointed with the ending.

I really liked this book.

Then I started "Any way you want me" by Lucy Diamond. Something totally different - some light-hearted chick lit :blush:.

I'm getting stuck into Any Way you want me. It's very well written. I enjoyed her other one too - "Over you". I think she's a good writer, the prose is bright and vivid. I'm quite intrigued by this book as I know it split people, and has a controversial turn of events. I'm looking forward to forming an opinion :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finished Any Way You Want Me Wednesday night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It really had me turning the pages and made me go to bed way too late on many occasions. I'll put my comments on the dedicated book thread here

Now to get stuck into The Power and the Glory by Grahame Greene. I've a feeling it won't be as light a read :D

I am REALLY struggling with The Power and the Glory :P I'm finding it heavy and boring and hard to concentrate on. The reviews make it seem worth reading, but I don't know whether to start something else alongside it. Trouble is, if I read something else that's easier I'm likely to give up on TPATG.

Well I've put down The Power and the Glory for now in favour of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (a re-read) as I felt in need of something cheery rather than gloomy.

I'll pick the other one up again when I'm more in the mood.

I finished The Power and The Glory last night. I think the book really picks up about a third way in - when we're following the priest himself. (The beginning focuses on other characters).

I thought it was a really interesting story. It's about the persecution of the Catholic church in Mexico at the beginning of the last century. Priests are hunted down and forced to marry or be shot. This book follows the story of the last priest in the country, an alcoholic known as the whiskey priest, who although he wants to escape, can't seem to bring himself to leave the country where he sees people need him. I really liked the character of the priest and found the story get more and more gripping as the chase goes on. It's a grim subject matter, and I expected it to be a depressing read, but actually didn't find it so.

Finished Dirk Gently last night. It was good, but not as good as I remember it.

Next I'll be tackling John Simpson's Strange Places, Questional People. It's an impulse buy that's been sat on my shelf for ages, and put off because the impulse wore off and I expected it to be boring. Finally I am in the mood for it.

• 2 weeks later...

It really is. I will definitely read more by him I think. At the moment he's stuck in Angola between several warring factions and rubbing shoulders with some very scary people. While his life has been very exciting I'm not sure I envy him it!

I think it takes a very special kind of person (i.e. slightly mad and very stubborn) to want to make a career out of this type of journalism / reporting. From one war zone to other, just the thought of it makes me shudder a little.

I think I'll stick with my quiet little life! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm half way through the John Simpson book and while it's great. I've decided to take a break with some fiction so I've picked up Linda Gillard's Star Gazing which so far is great. Better than Emotional Geology (which I also enjoyed)

I'm half way through the John Simpson book and while it's great. I've decided to take a break with some fiction so I've picked up Linda Gillard's Star Gazing which so far is great. Better than Emotional Geology (which I also enjoyed)

I loved that book. Linda writes such good novels :D

Well I made a pretty good book haul on my birthday this year:

Strangers on a train - Patricia HIghsmith

About Time - Paul Davies

The Magic Cottage - James Herbert

The seance - John Harwood

The Secret of Crickely Hall - James Herbert

It's not what you think - Chris Evans

• 2 weeks later...

I've been stuck right into the John Simpson book. It's really engaging and easy to read, but quite long and covering complex world events. Star Gazing is also really good (and lighter) but is broken up by stints in Strange Places Questionable People.

I'm really hoping to finish these two books before the end of the year so I can have a fresh page for 2010. I wonder if I will :lol:

I'm also dying to start The Magic Cottage!!