Andrea's reads of 2009

~Andrea~

It's been a while!

I finished P D James - quite enjoyable, but i'm not sure mysteries are really my thing.

Since then I've read The Shack, which I quite enjoyed.

I started Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha but after only a dozen pages I really couldn't get on with the writing style. It was just too plain.

I'm now reading The Book Of Lost Things by John Connelly, and so far, it's great :D

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a while!

I started Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha but after only a dozen pages I really couldn't get on with the writing style. It was just too plain.

It has been a while!

Funnily enough, I, too, tried Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha and found the writing style too...different, if you like.

I slung it over my shoulder after a dozen pages or so as well! :D

Thanks both :irked:

I'm finding myself a little disappointed with The Book of Lost Things. It made a promising start with good quality writing, but as the book descends further into the world of fairy tale i'm finding the writing deteriorating. I especially disliked

the bit with snow white and the dwarves

- it was irritating. I will perservere nevertheless.

Thanks both :irked:

I'm finding myself a little disappointed with The Book of Lost Things.

Sorry to hear that. I love the book - although I did read it in one sitting so I didn't really take the time to absorb any changes in writing style. Admittedly

Snow White

was one of my least favourite bits, and I think there are better bits to come, so I hope you find it gets back on the right tracks for you. Even if it doesn't, I look forward to reading your final thoughts on it :lol:

Actually last nghts read was a big improvement

(the bit with the huntress)

. It was a lot darker and more grisly which I think he is more adept at writing than the lighter bits. So i'm actually looking forward to continuing with this now :irked:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finished The Book of Lost Things and overall I wasn't that impressed, which was a little disappointing given how I'd heard so much about it. I found the writing style a bit monotonous. It just read like a rather unpleasant fairy tale. Fantasy's not really my thing anyway.

Started The Taking by Dean Koontz and loving it so far. It's much more up my street :D

Wahey! I've read that one, too. I'll look forward to having a brief chat with you about it. Cheers Andrea!:smile2:

Hi Mac :)

You know I am loving it so far. Only about 3 or 4 chapters in but I'm hooked :D I've only ever read one other Koontz, but think i'm becoming a bit of a fan.

Well I finished The Book of Lost Things and overall I wasn't that impressed, which was a little disappointing given how I'd heard so much about it. I found the writing style a bit monotonous. It just read like a rather unpleasant fairy tale. Fantasy's not really my thing anyway.
Oh dear, says the one who has The Book of Lost Things on her wishlist. Do you think a fantasy reader will enjoy it or is it just a no-no?

I may be a wimp :irked:

Where are you going on holiday?

Uh - oh. I'm probably building it up too much now :roll:

I'm going back home to Bath to visit my family for a week :D can't wait! But was umm'ing and ahh'ing about what books to take and had decided to take this one, so I'm glad you're enjoying it :irked:

I am really enjoying The Taking, and I'm about half way through, but it gave me nightmares last night :irked: It's pretty hair raising stuff!

I quite enjoyed this one, but it certainly has lots of critics!

Oh dear, says the one who has The Book of Lost Things on her wishlist. Do you think a fantasy reader will enjoy it or is it just a no-no?

Most people do seem to really like it (take a look at our thread for example) I would say that a fantasy reader would. :roll:

Most people do seem to really like it (take a look at our thread for example) I would say that a fantasy reader would. :irked:

Yea. I wouldn't say it was a bad book, just not brilliant. It does have some good bits, and some good writing. I just found the feel of it a bit monotonous somehow. I would have preferred it had there been a balance of lighter moments and darker moments, and I found the characters a bit samey. If you like fantasy it's probably worth reading. But it wasn't for me.

I quite enjoyed this one, but it certainly has lots of critics!

Oh really? I'll have to check them out once I've finished it. Perhaps this being only my second of his has a bearing on my opinion, since I'm finding it quite original and didn't really have any expectations.

I'm going back home to Bath to visit my family for a week :irked: can't wait! But was umm'ing and ahh'ing about what books to take and had decided to take this one, so I'm glad you're enjoying it :roll:

Have a lovely time Lexie. Bath is a lovely town. Hope you enjoy the book!