Andrea's reads of 2009

~Andrea~

I've been considering Marley and Me, mostly because I think I will go see the movie, and would like to read the book first.

I have to say I am loving the book. I thought I would find it a bit too light but it has actually been a real joy. I too have been avoiding the film to read the book. I thoroughly recommend the book - especially if you like dogs!

I went through a phase of reading James Herbert and consider Haunted to be really very good. I also loved The Magic Cottage and, in particular, The Dark.

I've read all of his, I think. Are you a fan of Ol' Jim Jam, then?

:D

Haunted was my first James Herbert, but it certainly won't be my last. The Magic Cottage appeals to me too.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't quite finished Marley and Me but since I was so close to the end and needed to take a book to the MOT centre while I waited, I picked up Lucy's Monster by R L Royle. Plus it made me cry last night so I couldn't risk reading it in public!

I read about 20 pages, and I'm really not sure about the second person style of narration. I found it to be annoying and obtrusive, however this seems to be mainly in the intro. The rest of the book is hopefully more conventionally written. I am undecided about this one so far.

Edited by ~Andrea~

After a shaky start I'm starting to enjoy Lucy's Monster. The writing style is leaving me cold in places (although it's good in parts too), but the story is beginning to grip me. I've a feeling I'm going to have just as mixed feelings about this book as I did with Eleven Terrible Months. So far I'm about a quarter way in.

I've put Lucy's monster to one side for now, and picked up Misery by Stephen King. It's terrific so far. The writing is great; I love his description of

the cyclic pain as the tide coming in and going out with Annie Wilkes as the moon pulling the tide in (by administering pain releif)

I just finished Misery. It was great :friends0: (although I didn't understand the very last line) I thought it was very well written, and utterly gripping. I think this is my favourite King so far.

I think I might read Emotional Geology by Linda Gillard next

Edited by ~Andrea~

I read Misery too. That was back in those days when I read every Stephen King book there was, and I loved them every one.

Same here, I haven`t read any of his books for ages. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've almost finished Emotional Geology now. Hopefully I'll finish it tonight. I've decided to be brave and read King Lear next. I'm really looking forward to it - hopefully it won't be too difficult!!

I finished Emotional Geology last night. I was a bit sceptical at first, it's not the type of thing I normally read, and there was something about the writing style that annoyed me, too many commas. However, I did end up enjoying it, it was very well written, (apart from the style thing) and quite lyrical. It captured the scenery beautifully and made me want to go and visit the Outer Hebrides. One small thing, I think it could have finished a bit sooner. The last chapter felt like a long epilogue, when really the story was wrapped up by that point. Still, I look forward to reading Star Gazing, which I have heard, is even better.

It captured the scenery beautifully and made me want to go and visit the Outer Hebrides.

Still, I look forward to reading Star Gazing, which I have heard, is even better.

I love that about Gillard's writing - how she describes places. She has made me want to visit many places!

Star Gazing is my favourite of hers - I thought it was a really good book.

• 1 month later...

Ah, wasn't that the book that Spielberg's film AI was based upon? I read it a very long time ago, Andrea. A very long time ago. Sometimes, because I work with teenagers, I feel older than Methuselah...

Have you read any Asimov? I'm not, and have never been, a huge sci-fi fan, but really enjoyed old Isaac's work. Maybe you could give some of his stuff a whirl?

Anyway, hope you're extremely groovy and well.

Mac. :D

Ah, wasn't that the book that Spielberg's film AI was based upon? I read it a very long time ago, Andrea. A very long time ago. Sometimes, because I work with teenagers, I feel older than Methuselah...

:D Sorry to but in Mac & Andrea :D but.... isn't 'Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick' the inspiration for Bladerunner and wasn't 'Supertoys last all summer by Brian W. Aldiss' the inspiration for AI? I only know of this because I watched AI for the first time the other week and fell in love with it and checked out the short story it was based on, its on my wishlist ;) so is Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep, how did you find it Andrea?

Yes, Androids is definitely the basis for Bladerunner. I didn't 'get' that movie like some people do, but I really would love to read the book one day.

I hadn't known about the inspiration for AI though. I'm definitely going to check that out! Thanks Chrysalis! :D

Have you read any Asimov? I'm not, and have never been, a huge sci-fi fan, but really enjoyed old Isaac's work. Maybe you could give some of his stuff a whirl?

Anyway, hope you're extremely groovy and well.

Mac. :D

Hi Mac :D I'm very well thanks. How are you? I have read a little Asimov - The End of Eternity (a great read) and some of his short stories. I intend to read 'I Robot' some day.

:D Sorry to but in Mac & Andrea ;) but.... isn't 'Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick' the inspiration for Bladerunner and wasn't 'Supertoys last all summer by Brian W. Aldiss' the inspiration for AI? I only know of this because I watched AI for the first time the other week and fell in love with it and checked out the short story it was based on, its on my wishlist :D so is Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep, how did you find it Andrea?

Indeed it was. I really enjoyed it. Quite a quick read and different enough from the film (what I remember of it) to be a worthwhile read even if you've seen it.

Yes, Androids is definitely the basis for Bladerunner. I didn't 'get' that movie like some people do, but I really would love to read the book one day.

I recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...