Andrea's reads of 2009

~Andrea~

That's great news, since I have been looking forward to reading the Savannah Chronicles ever since I found out about them, so I'll be hopping on the BCF blog to see if I find those reviews and find out what she thought of them.

And that is rather brave of you then for reading the book :), but there seems to be at least a small part of you that's surely enjoying the read because you've kept at it from what I can notice :D.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The Vampire's seduction is quite enjoyable so far - the sex is a bit much though, and doesn't really add much to the story for me.

I also dipped into Chekhov (short stories). They are curious little stories, very vibrantly written, but I'm not sure what the point of them is - perhaps there is none. Modern stories tend to have a twist, or a conclusion whereas I wonder if older stories seem to be more about the telling. I found that with the Rudyard Kipling stories in the Jungle Book.

Half way through The Vampire's Seduction and I'm looking forward to finishing it. It's OK, quite readable and the story is fairly interesting. The characters aren't hugely interesting though and I've picked up on what appear to be a few mistakes or inconsistencies in the story. And I find the whole vampire lore thing a bit stupid

I mean they just created a vampire and debated over whether to or not because by doing so they would destroy her soul and damn her for all eternity, but decided to do it because a) she said she wanted to be with William and :lol: was going to die anyway. Hmm - don't seem great reasons to me. And why should becoming a vampire (something that happens against your wishes) damn you for all eternity anyway. It's stupid.

I know I know, it's just a book but I need my fiction to make sense - even if it IS fantasy.

Not sure if I'll be reading any more of these yet - I'll let you know after I've finished it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll coming to the end of The Vampire's Seduction soon. I haven't been blown away by it but it was a light easy read.

Now I have to decide what to read next. I fancy something spooky but I might start The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I am such a slow reader that at least I'll be sure of getting it finished before May.

I know I know, it's just a book but I need my fiction to make sense - even if it IS fantasy.

I couldn't agree more.

I always say I don't like fantasy. However, there are some I do like. I figure the ones I like have some sort of logical and sensible order about them, even when the story itself is totally incredible/fantastic. I need to understand what is going on.

Far From The Madding Crowd is coming up very soon on my TBR list... reading you post may have even bumped it into 2nd place (after a graphic novel I really really want to read.)

x

Good stuff. I really enjoyed it.

Finished The Vampires Seduction last night. It was ok, enjoyable enough for me to want to keep reading but not to want to bother reading any of the others. If you like vampire pulp fiction I would guess that this is up your street. Unfortunately it wasn't really my cuppa tea, although enjoyable in parts. The characters didn't really grab me. So So.

Next I started Haunted by James Herbert. I've just realised it took me over a month to read The Vampires Seduction - so hopefully I'm not making a mistake by starting another book before I get stuck into The Hunchback of Notre Dame for Mays reading circle. Best get reading :D

Oooh the "Hunchback of Notre Dame" is a beautiful book - Hugo does go off on ever so slight tangents every so often but he does it so skilfully you scarcely mind. Enjoy and, don't forget the hankies!

I did indeed read it but five years ago at the very least so all I'm left with is a memory of how much I enjoyed it and how many tears I shed; however if if got space in my bag to take it back here from when I go home for Easter and time to re-read it after that then I might reading circle it :)!

Getting on quite well with Hunchback. I found it a disapointingly slow start after Hanuted which tripped along nicely, but it's become very enjoyable. The opening chapters are a curious mix of vibrant, engaging prose and longwinded waffle but kind of 50 pages onwards it has picked up. The descriptions are great and the style is wonderful: vivid and humorous in a manner reminiscent of Chekhov, what little I've read of him, and of G K Chesterton's The Man who was Thursday. Looking forward to the rest of this reading experience :irked:

• 2 weeks later...
I did indeed read it but five years ago at the very least so all I'm left with is a memory of how much I enjoyed it and how many tears I shed;

Same here. I know I read it and really enjoyed it some years ago... But other than that my memories are very hazy.

I don't think I'd have time for a re-read at the moment though. Too many new good books to get to!

But I'll enjoy getting my memories refreshed in the reading circle thread.

Ooh - I'm not looking forward to the sad bits. I already feel sorry for Quasimodo just 200 pages in.

I'm loving the story but I'm really getting annoyed at the diversions from it which just seem waffly observations and opinions about history, architecture, art and stuff. It's like reading a story sandwiched amongst a load of irrelevant essays that I have little to no interest in.

Anyway, I started Marley and Me last night because I couldn't sleep and didn't want to wake up OH by faffing about getting Notre Dame out of the drawer.

I took Marley and Me away with me for my Easter weekend away and I'm glad I did. It's a wonderful read, absolutely hilarious, and just right for reading in an airport. Just half way through though, so I might go back to Notre Dame and finish it later.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been considering Marley and Me, mostly because I think I will go see the movie, and would like to read the book first.

In my opinion the book is so much better than the movie, I definitely recommend reading the book first!

Finished Haunted and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was just what I was in the mood for. I'm going to start The Hunchback of Notre Dame tonight.

I went through a phase of reading James Herbert and consider Haunted to be really very good. I also loved The Magic Cottage and, in particular, The Dark.

I've read all of his, I think. Are you a fan of Ol' Jim Jam, then?

:)