• Announcements

• Hayley

Signing Up   11/06/2018

Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

July Supporter Giveaway   07/01/2019

It's Christmas in July! The winner of the July Supporter giveaway will receive this beautiful Barnes & Noble edition of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, as well as a special Charles Dickens tea by  theliteraryteacompany.co.uk .   I've been keeping this book a secret for so long (I couldn't wait until Christmas!) It's actually from a really lovely independent bookshop in Hay-on-Wye, the town of books. I'm so glad I finally get to show you! The picture doesn't even do it justice. A nice feature that you can't see in this image - the page edges are gold and (an extra surprise for the winner) the back is just as beautiful as the front! We also now have twice as much tea as previous giveaways!  (Thank you Literary Tea Company!)   As always, supporters are automatically entered into the giveaway and a winner will be chosen at random at the end of the month. If you want to enter this giveaway but you aren't a supporter, you can join in here https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum .   Good luck  
Raven

Raven's Reads

I've been meaning to re-read those two A Mole books at some point too, and then move on to the later ones. I just hope the later ones don't disappoint as I loved the teenage diaries!

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:36 PM, ~Andrea~ said:

I've been meaning to re-read those two A Mole books at some point too, and then move on to the later ones. I just hope the later ones don't disappoint as I loved the teenage diaries!

I quite enjoyed re-reading them, but I don't know about what comes next. 

I looked up the next book online (True Confessions of) and it looks to be half a book about Adrian, and then the other half is split between the diaries of Sue Townsend and Margaret Thatcher!  After that, I think the series is exclusively about Adrian, but if you want to read the lot, there seem to be several different compilations you can read. 

See Wikipedia for more details!

Personally, I'm going to wait until I see the books pop up cheap on Kindle or if I see them second-hand.

So the tally for 2018 came in at 27, so close to 30 which was my target at the beginning of the year (especially as I have two books nearly, but not quite finished...). 

Oh well, onwards with 2019 I suppose!

13 hours ago, Raven said:

So the tally for 2018 came in at 27, so close to 30 which was my target at the beginning of the year (especially as I have two books nearly, but not quite finished...). 

Well done! 27 is such a huge, wonderful number of books to read in one year!! (Didn't lay it on too thick, did I?)

But seriously, well done. Happy reading in 2019. :)

On 01/01/2019 at 11:56 AM, Raven said:

That's twice as many as me. I've given up setting goals. Happy reading this year.

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 1:32 AM, Kylie said:

Well done! 27 is such a huge, wonderful number of books to read in one year!! (Didn't lay it on too thick, did I?)

Enjoying the cricket?

Thanks for the best wishes, all!

On 05/01/2019 at 6:10 AM, Raven said:

Enjoying the cricket?

Harsh. :( But yes, I enjoy watching it even when we lose!

14 hours ago, Kylie said:

I enjoy watching it even when we lose!

Good job, really! 

10 hours ago, Raven said:

No, you haven't, but you have gone for 36... ;) 

If it happened more than 100 years ago, it doesn't count. Everyone knows that. :P

On 27/01/2016 at 11:05 PM, Raven said:

Thinking about doing a John Wyndham re-read.

Here's the list so far:

The Day of the Triffids (1951)
The Kraken Wakes (1953)
The Chrysalids (1955)
The Seeds of Time (1956)
Consider Her Ways and Others (1956)
The Midwich Cuckoos (1957)
The Outward Urge (1959)
Trouble with Lichen (1960)
Chocky (1968)
Web (1979)
Plan for Chaos (2009)

And three years later...

Seriously thinking about doing this now.  I need to slot The Secret People (1935) in there as well.  Not sure I have a copy of it.

The above is on hold for the moment, until I can get a copy of The Secret People!

In the meantime, reading The October Man has led to me re-reading Rivers of London (again!).

On 20/06/2019 at 5:38 PM, Raven said:

The above is on hold for the moment, until I can get a copy of The Secret People!

In the meantime, reading The October Man has led to me re-reading Rivers of London (again!).

Re-reading to work something out or just because it reminded you that you like them so much? I finally have a copy of The October Man :yahoo:. I was thinking of saving it for a bit longer, but I don't think I can wait.

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 3:17 PM, Hayley said:

Re-reading to work something out or just because it reminded you that you like them so much? I finally have a copy of The October Man :yahoo:. I was thinking of saving it for a bit longer, but I don't think I can wait.

It won't take you long to get through! 

Re-reading because The October Man is similar in a lot of ways to Rivers of London (both are introductions to new characters, but in the case of the former it is somewhat a mirror of the latter).