Raven's Reads

I finished re-reading Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters last night. 

I'm definitely of the opinion that early Pratchett is more enjoyable than his later works (good though they are).  There's just something about their lack of polish that makes them more enjoyable.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Read 7 books so far this year (a point I didn't reach until October last year!).

For anyone who is interested, Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is probably one of the best Haruki Murakami I've read!  I might get around to doing a review at some point but, you know, life etc.

Edited by Raven

I personally feel like all books count, even if it's short. Comics, graphic novels, manga, picture books, a short story that's not part of a collection, I feel they all count. I know not everyone feels that way though. I personally don't count magazines, newspapers, cereal packets and the like :P. Since it's your reading life, I feel it's up to you what counts :).

My dad used to read a lot of Asterix when he was younger. I've never read much of it myself but I have seen cartoons and movies (and played a video game of it too).

I haven't read these since I was a teenager. 

I don't really have a problem with counting them, but I still think I should have read more novels than the four I have so far this year. 

I have started another that I am reading in parallel with these, however! 

On 4/16/2018 at 1:14 PM, Raven said:

For anyone who is interested, Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is probably one of the best Haruki Murakami I've read!  I might get around to doing a review at some point but, you know, life etc.

I've got this on my wishlist....just waiting for it to come down in price a bit. Glad you enjoyed it. Is it better than The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (my favourite)? 

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 8:15 AM, bobblybear said:

I've got this on my wishlist....just waiting for it to come down in price a bit. Glad you enjoyed it. Is it better than The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (my favourite)? 

That's still on my to-read list!

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/03/2018 at 10:01 AM, Raven said:

Pff... You leave your thread alone for a week or so and look what riff-raff walks in... (Hullo!).

Oy! :P :D

But thanks for the review. I guess I'll give it a miss, especially if it can't match (or at least come close to) Wells's style of writing.

On 20/04/2018 at 1:43 PM, Athena said:

I personally feel like all books count, even if it's short. Comics, graphic novels, manga, picture books, a short story that's not part of a collection, I feel they all count. I know not everyone feels that way though. I personally don't count magazines, newspapers, cereal packets and the like :P. Since it's your reading life, I feel it's up to you what counts :).

My dad used to read a lot of Asterix when he was younger. I've never read much of it myself but I have seen cartoons and movies (and played a video game of it too).

Love Asterix, and have an extensive collection in various European languages bought whilst on holidays.  I don't count any of them in my book count though, along with most of that list. Having said that I read hardly any, along with virtually no YA or children's books nowadays (a few classics excepted). I think the shortest book I've ever let count was Iain Sinclair's Swimming to Heaven, all 63 pages of it!

10 hours ago, willoyd said:

Love Asterix, and have an extensive collection in various European languages bought whilst on holidays.  I don't count any of them in my book count though, along with most of that list. Having said that I read hardly any, along with virtually no YA or children's books nowadays (a few classics excepted). I think the shortest book I've ever let count was Iain Sinclair's Swimming to Heaven, all 63 pages of it!

Asterix books are brilliant. I used to arm myself with my Dad's Latin translation dictionary which made them even funnier.  The English translation from the original French is very clever. Must be a real challenge with plays on words etc

7 hours ago, poppy said:

Asterix books are brilliant. I used to arm myself with my Dad's Latin translation dictionary which made them even funnier.  The English translation from the original French is very clever. Must be a real challenge with plays on words etc

Another vote for Asterix, by toutatis... :D

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 4:40 PM, Kylie said:

Oy! :P :D

But thanks for the review. I guess I'll give it a miss, especially if it can't match (or at least come close to) Wells's style of writing.

You won't be missing much!

I borrowed an Asterix book from the library for my son a few weeks ago, but so far he's not been keen to start it, preferring instead for me to read him a Pokemon diamond & pearl comic book instead. Which I find very dull & confusing - not least because I have to read it back to front & right to left. :lol:

2 hours ago, More reading time required said:

I borrowed an Asterix book from the library for my son a few weeks ago, but so far he's not been keen to start it, preferring instead for me to read him a Pokemon diamond & pearl comic book instead. Which I find very dull & confusing - not least because I have to read it back to front & right to left. :lol:

Oh I despair of the youth of today!! :D

Perils of The Modern Reader #57

After a rather hectic couple of weeks I'm having a quiet weekend, so after finishing Redshirts, by John Scalzi, this morning I started reading Three, by Sarah Lotz this evening.

Because the battery was flat on my Kindle, I had to resort to reading it on my phone when having a bath. What I have read of it so far is building nicely, but it is a little tense.

What you don't want to happen when you are reading a tense book, on your phone, in a quiet house, when in the bath, is to get a Twitter like that causes your phone to vibrate in your hand.

All I can say is I'm glad I was holding the case firmly, or a lot of swearing would have ensued...  

On 29/09/2018 at 2:46 PM, Raven said:

I didn't think I was going to get to post this, but I joined the forum 10 years ago today!

Well done!  I'm almost exactly one year behind you (Sep 24th), so sadly won't be able to celebrate my tenth here.  It feels an even bigger loss now than when Michelle first announced - haven't found anything remotely as good to replace.  Hope your reading continues to flourish!

23 hours ago, willoyd said:

Well done!  I'm almost exactly one year behind you (Sep 24th), so sadly won't be able to celebrate my tenth here.  It feels an even bigger loss now than when Michelle first announced - haven't found anything remotely as good to replace.  Hope your reading continues to flourish!

Thanks, and you too! 

I don't think I will be heading on to anywhere else, the other forums I've seen either seem to be winding down themselves, or just don't appeal.  Annoying, because I've actually been reading more than usual this year!

After picking up numerous books over the last few years for 99p on my Kindle, I have decided that it is time to actually read some!

To that end, over the last few weeks, I have read the freaky The Three, by Sarah Lotz; the excellent The Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler and the nostalgic The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13¾, by Sue Townsend.

When reading it as a teenager, I never realised how much of a dick Adrian Mole actually is! It is a very good story, however, and the volume I am reading is a two-parter with Growing Pains, which so far is a much better book.  I'm starting to think I should read the later volumes - at some point - as well.