Raven's Reads

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ooh, The Iron Ghost is on my wishlist - I rather enjoyed Williams' first book. :)

Yes, I did too, so I'm looking forward to this.  

William's has just got a deal to write another fantasy trilogy as well (different settings and characters) which I think she is going to blog about as she writes it.

I read Ayoade on Ayoade a couple of weeks ago - I loved it.  You definitely have to get his sense of humour, but I imagine most people who read it will be familiar with him and know what they're letting themselves in for! :lol:

I got the book for 99p on my Kindle, but got fagged off scrolling up and down the page to read the footnotes, so I bought the dead tree version.  I really like his description of marketing people in the intro . . .

William's has just got a deal to write another fantasy trilogy as well (different settings and characters) which I think she is going to blog about as she writes it.

That ought to be interesting - I'll be sure to keep my eye out. She already has a strong social media presence (we often have geeky conversations about Dragon Age on Twitter :lol: ), and I look forward to seeing more of this kind of thing.

(I saw The Iron Ghost in Waterstones today and had to refrain from buying it. I also had to refrain from buying the small version of The Copper Promise, as I have the huuuuuge paperback version that looks very odd on my bookshelf . . .)

• 4 months later...

My books of the year can be found here.

To add to this, I'd say that following a good start I've been a bit slow with the reading this year, buying far more books than I have actually gotten around to reading (which is something I will have to correct in 2016, if only for my wallet's sake..).

Also, and I'm not sure how much significance I would attach to this, but I've read more books by female authors this year - 5 out 21 (which may not sound like much, but the proportion is actually up significantly on previous years, with the exception of when I re-read all of the Harry Potter books in one go a few years back).  I honestly don't tend to pick my books by the sex of the author, I just pick up books if I like the sound of the story, but books like The Iron Ghost may prompt me to actively look out more female authors. 

buying far more books than I have actually gotten around to reading (which is something I will have to correct in 2016, if only for my wallet's sake..).

Well well well...this is interesting! I managed to read more books that I acquired last year. Who would have thought our positions would ever change?! :D

You've got me quite interested in Jen Williams' The Iron Ghost, which I suppose means I'll be adding two books to my wishlist. Was TIG as good as the first book?

Well well well...this is interesting! I managed to read more books that I acquired last year. Who would have thought our positions would ever change?! :D

Not quite, I still don't have enough books for my own personal library.

You've got me quite interested in Jen Williams' The Iron Ghost, which I suppose means I'll be adding two books to my wishlist. Was TIG as good as the first book?

I would say it was better than The Copper Promise, but that's not to take anything away from the latter, which was a good book as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thinking about doing a John Wyndham re-read.

Here's the list so far:

The Day of the Triffids (1951)
The Kraken Wakes (1953)
The Chrysalids (1955)
The Seeds of Time (1956)
Consider Her Ways and Others (1956)
The Midwich Cuckoos (1957)
The Outward Urge (1959)
Trouble with Lichen (1960)
Chocky (1968)
Web (1979)
Plan for Chaos (2009)

^ Was that the BBC audio play of Kraken? I listened to that last weekend, it's part of what has prompted me to look at the above.

Of the list, I have copies of them all, but I've not read:

The Chrysalids (1955)
The Seeds of Time (1956) short story collection
Consider Her Ways and Others (1956) short story collection
The Outward Urge (1959)
Plan for Chaos (2009)

If people are interested this could be made a group read(?).

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Raven, where fore art thou? 

It's been too long since you were here.  :wibbly:

Thank you, that's very kind of you to say so.

I miss Raven, anyone know where he's gone/what happened? :o:(

I took a break after being told that having an opinion was being offensive.

-------------

Anyway, moving on, I've decided to buy no new books this year because:

1) I need the money (food being kind of useful and all) and

2) I have load to read as it is.

It is early days, but I hope to get to at least February before this plan goes under the bus...

Anyway, moving on, I've decided to buy no new books this year because:

1) I need the money (food being kind of useful and all) and

2) I have load to read as it is.

It is early days, but I hope to get to at least February before this plan goes under the bus...

There are a fair few of us attempting this in 2017! Good luck! :)