Raven's Reads

I was able to read and finish it, but it means that the replacement copy I'll hopefully end up owning won't be the copy I've read.

I'm sure people out there will understand the nerd anguish I'm experiencing . . . /taleofwoe

Well, the one you take back isn't going to able to be sold to anyone else, so perhaps they'll let you keep both?

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

My mojo has collapsed completely over the last two weeks.  I started the year quite well, but there always seems to be something other to do than read at present, which is annoying given the number of books I have to read!

My mojo has collapsed completely over the last two weeks.  I started the year quite well, but there always seems to be something other to do than read at present, which is annoying given the number of books I have to read!

I know what you mean - I've had a few days off and have barely looked at my books, as I've been tempted by other stuff.  Lunchtime reading will resume once I get back to work.  Hope you find your mojo soon :)

• 2 weeks later...

post-4599-0-26576400-1428087719_thumb.jpg

Mort
By Terry Pratchett

Finished this earlier this evening. 

It's been a long time since I last read any early Pratchett and I think that's something I need to rectify. 

I've struggled with his more recent books over the last few years, not because they are badly written or anything, but I just haven't engaged with them for some reason.  I found Mort to be very engaging and I think it is because the book has a naivety and simplicity to it that his later books do not (it may also be true that nostalgia had a part to play as well).

I don't think I need to say much about the book itself, except that if you haven't read any of Terry Pratchett's novels before, do so. 

And start with this one.

Highly Recommended.

• 1 month later...

post-4599-0-92242400-1432729816_thumb.jpg

The Secrets of Station X

By Michael Smith

This is a revised and updated version of Michael Smith's Station X book that was originally published in the 90s to accompany the Channel 4 TV series of the same name.  Using new interviews and documents that have been declassified since the original was written, this book possibly represents the most complete overview of the code breaking work that took place at Bletchley Park during World War II.

The detail in the book is a good balance between historical fact, technical detail of code breaking methods employed and personal insights into work and life at the park.

If you are interested in knowing more about the subject, this book is a good introduction.

Highly recommended.

• 1 month later...

post-4599-0-64856100-1435839344_thumb.jpg

London Falling

By Paul Cornell

I finished this last night.

It's another "cops/secret agents fighting the supernatural in London" novel, but this one is a bit more hard-edged than most of the previous ones I have read (it is certainly not for the faint-hearted!).

Very much a set up novel for an on-going series, but still a good story in it's own right, it is played straight with very little humour. 

Recommended.

I may write a piece soon on the different novels in this sub-genre that I've read, as I've clocked up a few of them now!

Edited by Raven

It's a pretty good read, but not the best one I've come across in this sub-genre.  The "not for the faint-hearted" comments stem from the book being a tad graphic in places (blood and guts, not adult themes!).