39 Steps - what a disappointment

SueK

Did anyone watch this last night. I was really looking forward to this and had made an effort to read it (again) before the drama last night.

Well, it should have been called "a bloke who goes to Scotland" and then it wouldn't have mattered about the story! It was such a bad adaptation of the novel. Hannay, Scudder and Harry Sinclair were the only characters from the original book. There is no love interest in the novel and so much more happens to Hannay that on TV last night (plus the 39 steps are not in Scotland:irked:). I was really disappointed with the screenplay and wondered if the writer was just being arrogant in re-writing the story. What was the point of writing it if you are not going to bother about the adapting the original story.

Anyone else have views?

I was quite disappointed in it too. It just seemed really insipid and seemed to miss out a lot of stuff that I remembered from other versions (but I'm not sure how true to the book they were either). Everything seemed to fall into place a bit too easily for him. Hannay seemed miscast, though I liked the woman playing Victoria.

What was the point of writing it if you are not going to bother about the adapting the original story.

I haven't read the book, so can't comment on how faithful an adaptation it was, but I totally agree that if you're going to change it too much, you shouldn't call it The 39 Steps. Either stay faithful to the book, or do what you like with it, don't try to pretend it's an adaptation and call it something else!

Well, it should have been called "a bloke who goes to Scotland" and then it wouldn't have mattered about the story! It was such a bad adaptation of the novel. Hannay, Scudder and Harry Sinclair were the only characters from the original book. There is no love interest in the novel and so much more happens to Hannay that on TV last night (plus the 39 steps are not in Scotland:irked:).

Ha Ha. And I thought it was *me* who had lost the plot! :D

I was attracted to this adaptation by the appearance of Rupert Penry Jones as, in my humble casting opinion, a rather weak Hannay. As I watched I kept thinking "Well, I don't remember this??? Don't recall that either! W-H-A-T??"

I'm now going to reread the novel which I've been meaning to do for some time now. Hope I can find one without those silly TV characters on the cover.