Book Challenges

lexiepiper

Well done to all that take part in Challenges. I find it really hard to stick at any one thing and find myself always changing my mind about what I want to read. I like to just pick up what takes my fancy at any given moment. I did manage to not buy any new books for the second half of 2008 which was something I challenged myself too. However this did not stop me acquiring a few new books in other ways! I'm intending to not buy loads this year either and will really try to get stuck into Mount TBR.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I can tell you right now I won't finish this challenge anytime soon lol, I'll be too busy with college this year and life in general after that to read 198 books in any hurry. My main priority is my A-Z list for 2009. Its a challenge I intend to complete over the next few years, once I've compiled a list based on the thread we've made for it.

Phoenix, what Nobel prize books would you recommend?

I'd recommend the following:

Knut Hamsun: Pan

Samuel Becket: Waiting for Godot or Krapps Last Tape

Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Chronicle of a Death Foretold

Doris Lessing: The fifth Child

and as already mentioned:

Thomas Mann: Buddenbrooks

Please note though that the books listed above are not necessarily the ones which were especially pointed out for the nobel price.

• 6 months later...

I assume this was covered years back when it was actualy happening on TV, but haven't seen mention of anyone doing the BBC Big Read top 21/100/200. I actually got given the book of the series, which tells a bit about each one, and since then have had the general ambition to read them all. I expect it will take me years (has done so far just to get to a third of them, all 200 that is) as I also get distracted by other books that I want to read but aren't on the list. I just thought it was a good guide to try out a range of reading that I wouldn't otherwise have picked up, and since it was compiled from the results of a poll I reckon I will come across at least a few unexpected hits... ;)

I'm very chicken when it comes to challenges. I've done the '50 book challenge; for 3 years. This year I thought I'd do a '75 book challenge'.

I've done the 15,000 page challenge as well, sometimes I make it sometimes I don't.

I've done A-Z challenges (author and title) have not completed one yet.

And I'm doing a classic challenge (on Goodreads they said 7) but I'm up to 10, and I'm doing the doorstep challenge, but so far, I've only read one chunky book.

I like the 50/75 book challenges the best. I suppose because it is not much of a challenge.