Book Challenges

lexiepiper

I've seen from some of the blogs that some of you on here participate in different book challenges each year, and I thought maybe you could post some of your favourite challenges on here, so people (like myself) who have no idea where to look but are interested in doing something like this will know where to go! :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea for a thread lexie! This would be great information right before the time for New Year's resolutions come around. :)

The challenge I was thinking of setting for myself was the 999 Challenge: 9 books in 9 categories in 2009. (The categories I am currently playing around with using for myself are New-to-me Authors, New-to-me Book by a Favorite Author, Books in Translation, Sci-fi/Fantasy/Horror, Non-Fiction, Graphic Novel/Manga, Classics, YA/Children's Lit, and Award-Winning/Prize-Winning. These are subject to change though--especially the last two. Gotta iron this out a little more before 2009 rolls around.)

In the past I've challenged myself to classics, modern classics and chunky (400+ pages) books. My on-going challenges are the Olympic (reading books by authors from each of the countries represented in the Olympic summer games) and tge 1001 (books from Peter Boxall's 1001 books you must read before you die). I'm also tackling a few book series this year just to see how I get on...

I've decided to set myself a challenge for 2009 to read two classics. Not much of a challenge to some here I know but they aren't really my thing (remind me too much of school :lol:). One I've opted for is The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde as it sounds quite good and one which I might like, but I'm not sure of which other one to try and dont want to put myself off trying any more afterwards. (Does that make sense? :))

So on that note and considering I like serial killer, vampire, ghost and other strange quirky kind of stories, can anyone with similar tastes to me recommend a good classic?

Edited by Charm

The most challenging I get is to try and read 50 books in a year - no specific genres or page number etc just 50 books I have and feel like reading at that particular time.

This year was the first time I've challenged myself and kept a book journal which I enjoy - and I'm one book away from achieving it :lol:.

For 2009 I'm going to continue this 50 book challenge but I have a few books in mind I would like to read, particularly the remaining five Jane Austen's I have in my TBR pile.

I'm doing a global challenge at the moment ( 3 countries into it!) whereby I am trying to read a book written by an author from every country in the world. I know this will be difficult, but intend to do my best. I'm also considering that 1001 challenge - we'll see!

My challenges will remain the same - as many as possible within a year, include my love of the classics and the chunky challenge. Whilst it's great for people to take on some of the other challenges, I personally don't like doing them as I find for me, it takes the spontaineity away - I like to read whatever takes my fancy, I don't like being too structured (unless I'm doing a course) it makes me want to rebel. I guess I must have a bit of a free spirit in me - LOL!

Good luck to others on the bigger challenges

I'm doing a global challenge at the moment ( 3 countries into it!) whereby I am trying to read a book written by an author from every country in the world. I know this will be difficult, but intend to do my best.

I like the sound of this challenge Ceinwenn. I checked just out of curiosity and there are 195 countries in the world according to this list.

I would love to participate in more challenges next year, having successfully completed a host of them in 2008, but I simply don't have the time any more (to keep up with updating my progress etc).

Having said that, I have a couple of vague goals in mind. I have quite a few short stories hanging around, mostly in ebook format, so I'd like to get through a fair few of those. Perhaps 2 per month.

And I'd like to make some serious inroads into my various series I have around (such as Discworld, the Chronicles of Narnia, and Thursday Next). I've also acquired a rather large number of Wodehouse books in the past 12 months, so I'd like to read 1 per month of those. But these are only loose goals - nothing is set in concrete.

Otherwise I just plan on motoring along and trying to made a dent in my massive TBR pile! :lol:

Perhaps you'll try one of the classic reading circle choices, Charm - could be fun! :lol:

Might just do that! :)

Does Wilkie Collins count as classic? Good spooky stuff, especially the Woman In White. :)

Most certainly does! :)

Sounds good. thank you both :(

I've decided to set myself a challenge for 2009 to read two classics. Not much of a challenge to some here I know but they aren't really my thing (remind me to much of school :)). One I've opted for is The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde as it sounds quite good and one which I might like, but I'm not sure of which other one to try and dont want to put myself off trying any more afterwards. (Does that make sense? :lol:)

So on that note and considering I like serial killer, vampire, ghost and other strange quirky kind of stories, can anyone with similar tastes to me recommend a good classic?

Dorian Gray is a great choice. How about Bram Stokers dracula for the other one? You might find it interesting to read the book that set the bar for all the vampire stories that followed.

I've never set myself a challenge before but I like the idea. One aim I do have for 2009 is to read a few classics as I really don't think I've ever read one. I have Wuthering Heights, 1984 and The picture of Dorian Gray on my wishlist, they're classics, right? :)

I also like the idea of reading 100+. As I've never kept a diary of the books I've read before, I wouldn't know what the most I've read in a year is! But, thanks to this forum, I've started a 'Book I have read' list so I'll be able to keep count. Wish me luck for 2009 :lol:

Dorian Gray is a great choice. How about Bram Stokers dracula for the other one? You might find it interesting to read the book that set the bar for all the vampire stories that followed.

Oh! Oh! I've read a classic!! I read Dracula when I was about 12. It was the first vampire novel I ever read and I remember I loved it. Funny you should say that though, I have recently said I wanted to start re-reading books I liked and it's one of the ones I would consider re-reading! Must get myself a copy .. again :) (You see this is why I've stopped lending books out lol :lol:)

I like the sound of this challenge Ceinwenn. I checked just out of curiosity and there are 195 countries in the world according to this list.

The list I'm doing has 198 - but that might be because I am counting Wales, England, Scotland & Northern Ireland as separate countries?

Just out of curiousity, how do you go about finding authors from different countries?

http://www.librarything.com/groups/readinggloballyficti#forums I've got some great ideas off of here & have been really surprised by just how many people are doing this challenge. I'm also using amazon & google & just generally asking a lot of different people for ideas. For me, finding the books has been a big part of the fun of this challenge!

I love reading challenges but I don't like those that ask me to list my books beforehand, as I want to be able to choose the books I read spontaneously (I have nothing against reading a set genre, it's the set list of books that I rebel against + I always have trouble deciding anyway, so it would be hard to get the list in the first place).

If you happen to know of any challenges not requiring a set list of books please share a link :lol: