Fat Andy's Magical Book List

Freewheeling Andy

Is this the great big huge monster pile of books by my bedside?

If it is, it's (largely) as follows:

Shake Hands With The Devil by Gen. Romeo Dallaire

The Final Solution by Michael Chabin

Snow by Orhan Pamul

A Short History of Tractors In Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka

Travels with Myself And Another by Martha Gellhorn

Oracle Night by Paul Auster

The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

In The Shape Of A Boar by Lawrence Norfolk

Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murukami

Vineland by Thomas Pynchon

and the unfinished half of London - a Biography, by Peter Ayckroyd.

Apart from that my bedside is empty...

• 2 months later...
Freewheeling Andy"]Because, well, they're magical books.

...............still lost :? :agree:

Are they all of a magical theme? Sounds intersting...

As if by magic, it's changed (which is what comes from visiting the second hand book market under Waterloo Bridge):

The Final Solution by Michael Chabin

Snow by Orhan Pamul

Travels with Myself And Another by Martha Gellhorn

Oracle Night by Paul Auster

The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Vineland by Thomas Pynchon

and the unfinished half of London - a Biography, by Peter Ayckroyd.

A Traveller's Life - Eric Newby

Eminent Victorians - Lytton Strachey

Fragrant Harbour - John Lanchester

The Age Of Kali - William Dalrymple

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, my birthday has added so much to this list. Quite a lot of it looks like heavy, serious, factual reading, too. Orhan Pamuk's memoirs of Istanbul, the 1812 book, about Napoleon's march on Moscow, Marco Polo's travels, a book on the Persians, a strange looking Indian novel, the new Ismael Kadare novel, so much stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous
In The Shape Of A Boar by Lawrence Norfolk

Andy,

How was In The Shape Of A Boar by Norfolk? I've tried to read his first novel, Lempriere's Dictionary, but like Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow I found it damn near impenetrable. Perhaps because I've not read many of the Greek classics. Is this novel samey in this respect?

Also, Dance Dance Dance...what did you think of it? I remember reading it, finding it good until a certain point (perhaps because of a difference in our cultures) until I found out it was a sequel to another Murakami novel, A Wild Sheep Chase.

Actually, Stewart, I've still not read Dance, Dance, Dance. Have you read Wild Sheep Chase yet? I reckon Wild Sheep Chase is a fantastic book. But then I love Murukami. Wild Sheep Chase and Wind-Up Bird Chronicle are my two favourites. You might struggle with them, given your reviews, because of the way he treats his characters. He's really really cold, particularly about sex, but it works with the rest of the treatment, to me. All of the books I've read of his (apart from Norwegian Wood) have this weird feeling of being something close to cyberpunk novels, except they're set in middle class, quiet respectable modern Japan suburbs, rather than a strange discordant high tech future.

In The Shape Of A Boar was dreadful. I really enjoyed both Lempriere's Dictionary and The Pope's Rhinocerous (although I can see where you come from about their impenetrability - it took a while for me to click into both books, and the same was true of the one Pynchon I've read - Mason & Dixon). But Shape Of A Boar was all of the pretension without any of the fun, none of the entertainment and worthwhile stuff. It was a slog of first 1/3 fake(ish) epic poem, 2/3 story of author in 1960s Paris. It really did very little for me. There were moments when it felt like it was going to become a good story but it just failed miserably. And it was utterly dominated by pointless footnotes.

If you want a book full of irritating footnotes, you're better off, far better off, with Paul Auster's Oracle Nights, which is a deeply interesting book (although I don't actually know whether I enjoyed it, still).

Guest Anonymous
If you want a book full of irritating footnotes, you're better off, far better off, with Paul Auster's Oracle Nights, which is a deeply interesting book (although I don't actually know whether I enjoyed it, still).

I read it last year and, looking over my 2005 reading list, I see that I gave the book four stars out of five. So, I must have liked it, although I would struggle to recap the story now other than guy decides to leave his life to fate and travels across the country to live a different life.

Guest Anonymous
Actually, Stewart, I've still not read Dance, Dance, Dance. Have you read Wild Sheep Chase yet? I reckon Wild Sheep Chase is a fantastic book. But then I love Murukami. Wild Sheep Chase and Wind-Up Bird Chronicle are my two favourites.

No, I've not read A Wild Sheep Chase. I started The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles but after the first page I was holding my head and screaming, "Oh no, not more spaghetti!" :D

I will get round to it one day, I know, but I don't feel he's a priority right now. His introduction to Ryunosuke Akutagawa in the new Penguin classic is an interesting read by him and I can't help feel that if Murakami has essays published in English that I would enjoy them more.

I find the focus on food in the books (and for some reason it's normally spaghetti and beer) is part of the fun. But I can see how it would grate (like parmesan, perhaps?).

He's definitely a love-hate author. Many people I know are completely obsessed by Murukami and reading all his stuff at the moment. But others are left utterly bemused by the attention.