Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris

Kell

Author: Charlaine Harris

ISBN # 1841493708

If I hadn't read the previous 3 books in the series (Dead Until Dark, Living Dead in Dallas & Club Dead), this book would have made slightly less sense (having none of the background story) but pretty much holds up as a stand-alone story in its own right.

I can't believe I happened upon this author by sheer chance (a bookclub offered the 1st three books as a single choice & they looked interesting, so I ordered them, & boy was I glad I did!). I'll now be looking out for other titles by Harris as well as the 5th installment of the Sookie Stackhouse books (the enticingly titled Dead as a Doornail).

There's not really much I can say without giving away huge chunks of the plot, so all I'll say is that we have the slightly telepathic Sookie getting embroiled in the business of vampires, weres & Witches while hunting for her missing brother, Jason, with some fiendishly good plot-twists & devilishly well-drawn characters.

I can't wait to get my hands on Dead as a Doornail!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading a review a friend made I read the first Sookie Stackhouse book and was hooked, I am awaiting books 4 & 5 to arrive at my library and for book 6 to be published.

Charlaine Harris also has another series of books out that look interesting ~ the 'Lily Bard Mysteries' :D

• 2 years later...

Has anyone read this series? I recently fell in love with the HBO series True Blood. I found out it is based on a book series by Charlaine Harris. Im wondering if its worth picking up the series.

from amazon:

Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out....

Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.

• 5 months later...

dead-until-dark.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

Small town Louisiana has a big problem - or rather a number of big problems. And now some of them have come knocking on Sookie's door ...Sookie is an unassuming cocktail waitress in an (outwardly) unremarkable town. She's quiet, keeps to herself and doesn't get out much. Attractive as she is, her hidden 'talents' send men running. For some reason her mindreading skills are just a bit threatening ...Then the unreadable Bill appears on the scene. Tall, dark and handsome, Bill seems to be the man of her dreams. Except he's not technically human. Bill is a vampire and a vampire who keeps seriously bad company, some suspected - unsurprisingly - of murder. Things get a bit close to home when a co-worker is murdered and Sookie starts wondering whether she will be next ...

Well it is fair to say Charlaine Harris really does know how to write a good story. This is the first book in her Sookie Stackhouse series. Sookie is a waitress in a small town, where everyone knows everyone else. Yet she has a gift; she can read people's minds, which makes her the strangest person in the community. But things are set to change in this sleepy town, as vampires are now legal beings and are trying to "go mainstream" and live in amongst humans. This is good news for Sookie - it gets her a boyfriend - a tall, dark, handsome vampire. But not everyone is happy with having vampires roaming around, and soon there are girls dying, girls who Sookie works with and who associate with vampires. With fear and death all around, Sookie fears she will be the next victim....

This book had action right from the first page to the last. Harris weaves a great web of suspense, suspicion and fear. She writes in several characters, all of whom could be committing the crimes. The deaths themselves were gruesome. She had no fear in writing a realistic murder. I liked how she wrote about vampires too. She stuck to the traditional ideas about vampires - such as them keeping out of sunlight and feeding on humans. Although I thought it was interesting that she invented "fang-bangers": those who wanted to be bitten by vampires; I thought that was original.

I liked Sookie. She seemed strong and sensible, and fairly likable. I loved her Gran though - her interest in the vampires was fairly amusing. I couldn't figure out her brother - his character kept changing. That makes me wonder if he will feature more further on in the series. Of course, the other key character was Bill. For a vampire, I liked him. I couldn't work out how vampires don't have emotions but do fall in love but I liked how he was written. He was dangerous, and he showed that, but he had affection too.

My complaint would be the amount of sex in the book. There was a lot. It did seem that when they weren't out investigating, they were having sex. I didn't think the book needed quite that level of intimacy - in a way it did spoil the book for me a little bit. However, I did enjoy the book for the most part and would recommend it. It didn't take long to read; it was gripping and exciting; and Harris keeps her status as one of my favourite authors.

8/10

I've read the first and the fouth, and the fifth book in the series. Eventually I'll come across the others. It has an interesting setting. Vampires in the country side. With all the other supernaturals turning up at one point I thought Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny might show up. I'm aware of the True Blood tv series but I have never seen it. This is a fun easy read series.

• 2 weeks later...

living-dead-in-dallas.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

Cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse isn't happy. Her co-worker has been murdered and no one seems to care. If that wasn't enough she's got blood-poisoning and a raging fever. Luckily, some friendly vampires graciously suck the poison from her veins (like they didn't enjoy it). But, seeing as they did save her life, when they come asking for a favour she can hardly refuse. She quickly finds herself using her telepathic skills in the search for a missing vampire, but when they break their good behaviour condition over a tasty blond, things go rapidly and horribly wrong ...

This is the second book in the Sookie Stackhouse Vampire Mystery series by Charlaine Harris. In this adventure, Sookie is attacked on her way to see Eric, by a mythical creature, and after having had her poisoned blood sucked, is told she is off to Dallas to use her gift. There she meets the anti-vampire group, and has to fight for her life. While all this is going on, she is trying to find out who murdered her friend and why.

There is a lot going on in this book. It starts with a murder and ends with an orgy. In between there is a lot of fighting and maybe mythical characters. Up until the last fifty pages I really enjoyed this book. It was exciting and gripping. The last bit of the book was full of sex and that put me off.

I like how Harris is introducing more mythical beings instead of just including vampires - I think this adds a new dimension to the story. It will be interesting to see where she takes the stories with all these characters and beings.

Harris is a very distinctive writer. She has her own style, which comes through in both her Sookie Stackhouse books and her Harper Connelly books. I like how she writes, for the most part she is engaging and gripping.

Apart from all the sex, which I still think is unnecessary, I think this is a good book.

8/10

Guest radjack

I just ordered this book from Book Depository, I ordered it because of this thread so I HOPE YOU ALL AREN'T LIYNG :D:lol::D:lol::)

let's see if this is good...

Guest radjack
haha the series is amazing! (what ive read of it so far..)

hope you enjoy it!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to receiving the book:mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...