Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris

Kell

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've ordered the books (in french) just after I finished the first season of the TV Show. And though they are very differents, I love them both <3 (with a little preference for the books).

I really enjoyed this serie, and I'm huge fan of Eric ♥o♥ and I can't stand Bill at all (in the TV show and the books). But like Kirsty_S, I've been less into the last ones of the séries, I found them less captivating than the first ones. My absolute favorites are the 4th, 5 and 6th of the serie (Dead to the World, Dead As a Dormail and Definitely Dead).

I've just receive the last book published in French, Dead in the Family !! So I'm going to pretend to be ill and very contagious, lock myself in my room, and neither drink or eat until I've finished it *o* (Well maybe I wont do THAT much, but I'll will surely use every opportunity to go back reading xD)

Please be aware that the series is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the books. The show only has very tenuous links with the books at the best of times, picking up on minor plot points in the books and making them the major focus of the series, inventing characters that don't exist in the books, killing. keeping folks alive in the series that are the opposite in the books, that kind of thing. There's a LOT more flesh and sexiness in the show too. Basically, the only things that are the same are the main characters (Sookie, Bill, Eric, Sam, Pam, Jason and a few others) and the place/locations (Bon Temps, Merlotte's bar, Fangtasia). Everything else is different.

I will however, say that much as I love the show, I love the books more. In some ways I'm disappointed the show hasn't followed the books a little more closely, but in other ways, I'm glad it hasn't, because it means we have almost like an alternative reality on both sides. :)

I was talking about the books serie (can you only use "serie" for TV Show ?). And like you I prefer the books.

And... I've just finished 11th books, and I loved it <3

Her relationship with Eric is getting more complicate. After she broke their link, I was hopping for a happy-end for them. But the end of the book make me think that might be the end of their relationship :s. Plus Bill and Sam seems to have their chances too. Especialy Sam, who can offer her a "normal" life (with childrens, growing old...).

On the other side, I think she is getting more and more Faë, even growing younger. I think she can became "immortal" that way x). Well, we will see !

I can't wait to read the next book of the series ! It's the last one isn't it ?

EDIT :

This is the summary for the 12th book :

With Felipe de Castro, the Vampire King of Louisiana (and Arkansas and Nevada), in town, it’s the worst possible time for a body to show up in Eric Northman’s front yard—especially the body of a woman whose blood he just drank.

Now, it’s up to Sookie and Bill, the official Area Five investigator, to solve the murder. Sookie thinks that, at least this time, the dead girl’s fate has nothing to do with her. But she is wrong. She has an enemy, one far more devious than she would ever suspect, who’s out to make Sookie’s world come crashing down.

She's going to investigate with Bill T_T ...

Edited by Taïr

• 2 weeks later...

Then you missed out on the best one! The fourth book is definitely the best in the series! You can happily leave of after that one, but don't miss that fourth novel - it's da bomb! :)

Then you missed out on the best one! The fourth book is definitely the best in the series! You can happily leave of after that one, but don't miss that fourth novel - it's da bomb! :)

Really? Okay then...I guess I'll have to put book 4 on my list. Reading this forum, that list is getting long!

If you still want to quit and leave it after book 4, fair enough, but ask anyone who's read the series and almost all of them will say book 4 is the best by far. ;)

If you still want to quit and leave it after book 4, fair enough, but ask anyone who's read the series and almost all of them will say book 4 is the best by far. ;)

Yep, got to agree book 4 was definitely the best in the series, especially if you're an Eric fan, in fact at 10pm tonight I'll be 'watching' Season 4! :-)

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Yep, got to agree book 4 was definitely the best in the series, especially if you're an Eric fan, in fact at 10pm tonight I'll be 'watching' Season 4! :-)

I so agree! Book 4 is the highlight of the books although imagining Eric in pink Lycra in book 3 was one of my all time favourite moments. :)

I'm fourthing what Kell said :giggle2: Oh boy.... And I know a bunch of other people who would say the same if they saw that message.

Hi everyone ! I am new to this forum and this is my first post. So go easy on me. Ok, so I started reading this book called Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris, just a few days ago. And I have this little question here -

"The politically correct theory, the one the vamps themselves publicly backed, had it that this guy was the victim of a virus that left him apparently dead for a couple of days and thereafter allergic to sunlight, silver, and garlic. The details depended on which newspaper you read. They were all full of vampire stuff these days."

Here, she was referring to the vampire right before him or some other. I guess she is referring to someone else and trying to tell how it all started. Isn't it ? 

Merging this with the existing Sookie Stackhouse thread.

She is referring to the story put out by the vampires who want to "mainstream" (i.e. co-exist with humans without hiding what they are). However, this is not true - vampires are not still human but with certain very specific "allergies" - they really are people who have been "turned". Vampires, in the Sookie Stackhouse universe, actually are those who were killed and turned by vampires. I'm not sure even the vampires themselves know how it all got started but they know full well what they are - they just don't want to panic people. ;)

• 2 years later...

I know this series is now finished and CH has started a new one, but I loved these books for the most part - book 4 is, of course, the best one and I also really enjoyed book 2 (Eric in pink lycra is worth the read alone, I cried with laughter at that scene), in fact I could read the first 4 books over and over (and have already re-read them once, and can't believe I'd forgotten THAT scene in book 3 with Eric and Sookie when he takes her back to Russell's house after the incident in the bar), however I thought 5 and 6 were very weak (with some appalling plot holes), and then 7 slowly got back on track.  I think that 8,9 and 10, and then the last 3 can almost be read as a trilogy, with definite story arcs for each group.  It did fizzle out a bit towards the end, and the last book definitely felt rushed, and I felt Eric deserved a better finish, but I'd already suspected what was going to happen with Sookie, in fact I think it's hinted at all the way through the series.  It was a great comfort read, though, with some memorable characters, although I could have done without so much of the fae.

As for the TV series, I loved it at first, but think it went off the boil after series 4 (it always was a bit erratic), and season 5 was bad, 6 even worse (all that Bilith nonsense and demonic babies, and the fae were just awful), with only a bit of a return to form in the last series.  But definitely some memorable moments and characters.

Edited by Madeleine

D'you know, I thought I'd finished the series, but looking at my book log, I only got up to book 11.  Like you Madeleine, I thought the first four books were the best, and I've read them a couple of times, but I did start to ose interest after about book 9, although like I said, I could have sworn I'd read the lot, it looks like I have a couple more to go.  Now I know that, I might pick them up at some point, just for completeness. :D

I think they're worth reading to the end, although they do fizzle out a bit and the last book feels rushed.  I did suspect how it would turn out relationship-wise though, so that didn't really come as much of a surprise.  Hope you enjoy them Kylie!

Like you guys I also thought the books started lacking towards the end of the series.  I read all 13 though just so I could complete it but it was trying, at times.  I also loved the show through about season 4.  I didn't know Harris was working on a new series - does anyone know what it's about?

I'm assuming you're referring to the "Midnight" series?  I think that's what it's called, as it's set in the small town of Midnight in Texas.  First book is "Midnight Crossroad" which came out in paperback in the UK earlier this year, second book is "Day Shift" and I think, according to her blog, she's currently finishing off the third one.  I read the first book and enjoyed it overall, not quite True Blood but quirky in her usual way.  She also says on her blog that she's been commissioned to write two more in the Aurora Teagarden series (a cosy crime, not supernatural) which she wrote a while ago.  I've just started the second book in that series, and they're showing the movies on TV here.